What electric "hotel rig" would you get with a $200 budget??

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

With my new job starting in July, I am occasionally going to be in hotels for a few days at a time..... and I really don't want to take my more valuable gear with me.

Assuming a mere $200.00 for an electric, and a very small device to play through (with headphones)....what would you buy? I really, REALLY would like to keep it at or below $200.00

• Members

I've been taking a Traveler Guitar EG-1 with me on trips for a few years now. You might be able to find one used for $275 or so, which is more than your budget, but it has built-in electronics and headphone amp and a line in for audio sources, so you won't have to buy anything else ...

• Members

If you have an iPad or iPhone, I'd get amplitube and an irig for $40. Then I'd watch Craigslist religiously for a couple of weeks, and see what the best guitar I could find for around $100. If you don't have some decent headphones, I'd use the balance to upgrade to some new buds or cans.

• Members
Korg PANDORA mini, and a used Yamaha Pacifica 112j (preferably candy apple red).

I have heard the Pacifica's are great quality for price....I am concerned by their relatively flat radius....I prefer 9.5 or even 71/4th ......

• Members
Used AXL or Johnson strat for under $100. I'm being serious. They are quite decent guitars.

If you are traveling with a laptop just play through that. You could take extra speakers.

Which models?

Do you think Johnsons and Axl's are better quality than Samick or Jay Turser?

• Members

One thought: Are you sure you need an amp at all? I mostly play my Fernandes unplugged but then I'm primarily an acoustic guy. If it were me, I'd find a cheap electric on CraigsList or maybe in a pawn shop, say a Squier Strat or Epi LP Jr. (sorry, I don't recall what your existing gear is) and not worry about an amp.

• Members

Which models?

Do you think Johnsons and Axl's are better quality than Samick or Jay Turser?

Probably about the same. For your purpose they would be just fine.

Basically any Johnson or AXL strat as cheap as you can find it.

Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-By-A...item4ad72a21e8

or this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AXL-Fender-Stratocaster-Style-Electric-Guitar-Sunburst-Strat-Soft-Case-Gig-Bag/191217903522?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D7782846140708463016%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20131003132420%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D321437442536&rt=nc

Used often under $100 on eBay. I've bought a few of them really cheap.

The pickups are just fair but plenty good enough for practicing and if it gets dropped or stolen who cares. They are actually decent. A good setup is of course necessary with any guitar.

I bought a used Johnson mini strat for my kid and took it on trip once. Pretty good too. I would get a regular sized one though.

• Members

Vox also makes those all-in-one headphones with the guitar amps built-in ..

True but the headphones are $100 while the AmPlug is $40-50. You can get a fairly nice set of headphones for under $50. Heck, I have a cheap set I bought for $10. They're not great but for listening to FM radio on my phone, they'll do. If Dr. Scottie doesn't mind an extra item to pack, might as well save some money.

• Members

True but the headphones are $100 while the AmPlug is $40-50. You can get a fairly nice set of headphones for under $50. Heck, I have a cheap set I bought for $10...

That's why these "Under $N Rig" questions are so ambiguous. Does that include headphones? Do you already have an iPad? Does the $N include the cost of a gig bag?

• Members

To answer some questions....I have a Tablet/Kindle.... but not an Ipad.

I am perfectly fine with something that plays through headphones only, and not necessarily and "amp"

I do have a nice set of headphones now.

As for the guitar, I am torn between old school cheapies that are quality ....ie: Peavey Predator/Reactor, or an older MIJ like Electra or Westone...... OR a newer Indonesian or Chinese made something..... where it's made doesn't matter to me.......of course looking for bang for the buck.

• Members

That's why these "Under $N Rig" questions are so ambiguous. Does that include headphones? Do you already have an iPad? Does the $N include the cost of a gig bag?

I don't know but I'll assume $200 for everything. Further, I'll price everything at the local (St. Louis) Guitar Center. Here's the breakdown

• Members
~~Vox Amplug AC30 Headphone Amp
+1 for that For something bigger that you can use without headphones is the danelectro honeytone. I use it when playing in my backyard. I looked at travel guitars but they are simply too expensive. For your budget find a beater on craiglist. If you feel brave, take a jigsaw to it to cut it down to size.

• Members

I don't know but I'll assume $200 for everything. Further, I'll price everything at the local (St. Louis) Guitar Center. Here's the breakdown

That's impressive. I suspect you could do something comparable from Amazon ...

• Members
+1 for that For something bigger that you can use without headphones is the danelectro honeytone ...

I also have a Honeytone, though I cannot recommend it. It does give you the option of using it with heapdhones, though ...

• Members

For travel I picked up a 5-string Fender electric mandolin, a Vox Lead AmPlug and a set of ear buds. Very portable and very fun.

The Lead has an effect -- delay -- you can use or not and it's got almost as much gain as the Satriani sig model. The Satriani model has some wicked tones - plug in and you've got Satch's tone - and it also has a delay but it doesn't clean up when you roll down the gain. There's always a very audible amount of hiss. Roll down the gain on the lead and it's a great electric clean tone with nice ambiance through the delay.

Archived