NGD!! Happy Birthday to me!!

stormin1155

• Members

My wife caught me lusting after one of these, so guess what I got for my birthday? Epiphone 339 Ultra Limited Edition Pelham Blue. (I love my wife!) After a new set of strings and a proper setup, I'm really liking it. Nice feeling neck, pickups sound good, and Pelham blue! Mmmmmm!

Can't wait to try it out through a PA system to see what the Nanomag really sounds like. Through a guitar amp it sort of has an acoustic tone, but not quite. I'm thinking it will be perfect to play with the church band where I often need to switch back and forth between electric and acoustic.

Size wise, it is half way between a Les Paul and a 335. VERY comfortable to play seated, but hangs kind of funny from a strap. It's lighter than my chambered LP. I'd guess about 8 lbs.

20140616_1444071_zpsab2224e7.jpg

• Members
Thanks for the review, looking forward to more thoughts regarding the nanomag.

HNGD, looks great!

Thanks for your comments guys!

The nanomag is pretty cool and adds a lot of versatility to the guitar. I had a GraphTech Ghost piezo system on a strat a while back, and wasn't all that impressed with it... ended up selling the guitar. It was very thin sounding and not close at all to how an acoustic sounds. I think the nanomag comes closer to an acoustic sound and it also can be used like a regular single coil pickup, including higher gain stuff. It almost sounds like a tele. Piezo pickups, on the other hand, sound like crap with gain.

I've noticed that when running both the regular pickups and nanomag together, the tone gets real muddy and loses a lot of volume when you roll back the tone. I think I might experiment with some treble bleed circuits to get better control of the roll-off. It uses two PCBs, one for the nanomag and one for the regular controls, so modding it might be a bit tricky.

• Members

Sweet guitar! I thought about buying one of the normal Epi 339 guitars in pelham blue last year and thought it was both very playable and beautiful. Now that you tell me about this limited edition you've given me a major case of GAS.

FWIW, I have a carvin with a piezo under the bridge and it gives me a really wide tonal palette. Figure your new axe is about the perfect tool for playing in church.

Archived