Tapatalk (aka, DENDY AND PHIL PLEASE READ!)

GilmourD

• Members

Add the Tapatalk plugin.

Seriously.

Tapatalk.

I'd be on this mother all day every day if there was a Tapatalk plugin.

Everybody has a mobile device these days. It would really help with the fact that vB completely borked the thread subscription function. I'm at work way too much but I get on forums A LOT using Tapatalk.

It's easy to do, too!

I know @Mark Wein does. 😪

We have it on my forum...since moving from vBulletin to Xenforo I actually spend a lot of time just using the site in Chrome on my phone because it works really well that way but most people on the site seem to prefer Tapatalk. When we were still on vBulletin 4 I ONLY used tapatalk to use my own forum. It is free for the site owner and easy to install.

• Members

The only thing I don't like about tapatalk is that it doesn't support polls, as far as I can tell. I do use it to browse Wein's forum and TGP. I like the notification functionality. I'm not sure I would visit HC any more than I do now if they adopted tapatalk. Maybe. Anymore, it's not the site's functionality or appearance, it's the lack of substance.

• Members
The only thing I don't like about tapatalk is that it doesn't support polls' date=' as far as I can tell. I do use it to browse Wein's forum and TGP. I like the notification functionality. I'm not sure I would visit HC any more than I do now if they adopted tapatalk. Maybe. Anymore, it's not the site's functionality or appearance, it's the lack of substance.[/quote']

I think part of the lack of substance is that vBulletin broke the subscription function in the newest version of vBulletin. Nobody knows what threads they've posted in and don't get alerts that there are replies, thus a lot of threads with little followup.

With Tapatalk, that would all be handled the same way that it is on any other forum.

When I installed Tapatalk I found myself posting A LOT outside of my normal haunts ("Guitars, Guitars, Guitars" on Mark's forum, or "The Pickup Lounge" on SeymourDuncan.com). I've become a more general citizen of those forums thanks to Tapatalk and my posting has gone up significantly just because I clicked on the "Unread" button. I could imagine the same happening for a lot of other people here.

• Moderators
Add the Tapatalk plugin.

Seriously.

Tapatalk.

I'd be on this mother all day every day if there was a Tapatalk plugin.

Everybody has a mobile device these days. It would really help with the fact that vB completely borked the thread subscription function. I'm at work way too much but I get on forums A LOT using Tapatalk.

It's easy to do, too!

This from when I asked a while back:

Dendy Jarret: It is my understanding that we do not need tapatalk as we have implemented Adaptive Technology. This allows you to see on screen the same thing across all OS and iOS platforms.

If we use Tapatalk we loose Google search optimization's maximum performance and we loose SEO.

• Members

Dendy Jarret: It is my understanding that we do not need tapatalk as we have implemented Adaptive Technology. This allows you to see on screen the same thing across all OS and iOS platforms.

If we use Tapatalk we loose Google search optimization's maximum performance and we loose SEO.

With my fat fingers all the links on the mobile version of the site are extremely hard to hit. It's basically impossible to hit the little button to go to the first new post.

Also, like I said, a HUGE part of forum functionality, the thread subscription function, is totally screwed in vB 5. I think that kills return traffic significantly. Tapatalk would handle that functionality.

As far as SEO... It's not like Tapatalk would make the existing site go away, so I'm not sure what Tapatalk would do to affect that.

• Moderators

Tom, I'll pass it along

S

With my fat fingers all the links on the mobile version of the site are extremely hard to hit. It's basically impossible to hit the little button to go to the first new post.

Also, like I said, a HUGE part of forum functionality, the thread subscription function, is totally screwed in vB 5. I think that kills return traffic significantly. Tapatalk would handle that functionality.

As far as SEO... It's not like Tapatalk would make the existing site go away, so I'm not sure what Tapatalk would do to affect that.

I use Tapatalk on my phone. Mark's forum is one that I view regularly with it. Which has me wondering, how is Mark posting in this thread in the office, if he's not an admin/mod? We also have a flood of spam posts in here that should obviously not be here since general users don't (shouldn't?) have access.

I'm not sure I understand how it would affect the search optimization. It doesn't change the URL's or content. I would think that the increase in actual traffic from the folks that use the site and their contribution of content would offset any possible loss of "Googleability".

• Members

I'm not sure I understand how it would affect the search optimization. It doesn't change the URL's or content. I would think that the increase in actual traffic from the folks that use the site and their contribution of content would offset any possible loss of "Googleability".

Seriously, I think that Tapatalk functionality would increase traffic so much that they wouldn't give a flying fook about Googleability.

The mobile version of the site is terrible when you have fingers larger than those of a 4-year-old.

• Members

I moved it "Behind the Curtain" to link to a ticket I'd put in at "The Office", in the early days of vB5 when others were asking for TT functionality

Gotcha.

Didn't there used to be a subforum so people could post about forum issues?

• Members

Gotcha.

Didn't there used to be a subforum so people could post about forum issues?

Yes, there was ("FeedBack")

But it was poorly reviewed by the Forum developers, had no 'true' method to track the progress on items, allowed the multiple/multiple/multiple reporting of items and failed to lump them all under one trackable bug report, and contained many flames, blasphemes and other contra-forum content....much of it due to me (my background in software QA left me a little... bitter?...shall we say).

Anyway, that forum and it's content is gone. Probably due to an assumption that the reversion to Vbulletin rendered the issues moot.

Sad to say, some still exist (e.g. the User Reviews are catastrophically difficult to navigate and sift thru, still).

• Members

Yes, there was ("FeedBack")

But it was poorly reviewed by the Forum developers, had no 'true' method to track the progress on items, allowed the multiple/multiple/multiple reporting of items and failed to lump them all under one trackable bug report, and contained many flames, blasphemes and other contra-forum content....much of it due to me (my background in software QA left me a little... bitter?...shall we say).

Anyway, that forum and it's content is gone. Probably due to an assumption that the reversion to Vbulletin rendered the issues moot.

Sad to say, some still exist (e.g. the User Reviews are catastrophically difficult to navigate and sift thru, still).

Well, the "Contact Us" button doesn't work when trying to submit feedback... I type in a message and it says that an error occurred. Maybe they should fix that, too.

Archived