Problem with Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony

peppe1096

• Members

Hi, Yesterday I bought this guitar. When I play with the amp it sound very harsh. I try a lor of settings, but nothing. The amp is a Peavey Backstage II (I Know it isn't good), but is it possibile that My guitar has basswood body?

• Members
Hi' date=' Yesterday I bought this guitar. When I play with the amp it sound very harsh. I try a lor of settings, but nothing. The amp is a Peavey Backstage II (I Know it isn't good), but is it possibile that My guitar has basswood body?[/quote']

Possibly, but I doubt that is the problem. Most japanese made guitars are basewood. The Ibanez RG range is a great example. A fair few players with signature guitars specify basewood for it.

• Members

Possibly, but I doubt that is the problem. Most japanese made guitars are basewood. The Ibanez RG range is a great example. A fair few players with signature guitars specify basewood for it.

If it's a real Epi LP Standard then it's not basswood. It'll be Mahogany body and neck (although not the same species of Mahogany that Gibson and most others use) and it'll have a maple cap on the body. Sometimes it's an alder cap, however. Regardless, the Standards have a cap.

As far as harshness... Basswood will never sound harsh. In fact, it's got a very smooth, midrangey tone with a soft (but present) treble.

What year is this guitar? Can you post a pic of your serial number? Epiphone's changed out their pickups recently. The old pickups used to either be very muddy sounding or particularly harsh sounding. It may just be an issue of the low-end pickups they used to use. The newer pickups (ProBuckers) are actually quite nice.

• Members

???

Unless it's an Elitist, it's not made in Japan.

and most japanese guitars are not basswood. not that basswood is a bad thing....

I thought they were, in terms of numbers , if not models. But you know japanese guitars much more than me.

My main , badly put point was that basswood would never make anything sound trebley.

My MIJ 94 strat is basswod and sounds great.

• Members

SOunds like electronics issue... Are the tone knobs turned up? is it on one pickup or both? Have you tried it/do you have access to another amp, just to see if it does the same thing if you change the amp...

Basswood isn't going to make the guitar sound harsh, you could bolt a good pickup to a piece of any kind of wood and it should collect the vibrations of the strings and make a decent sound if the pickup is OK/worth half a crap...

• Members

I thought they were, in terms of numbers , if not models. But you know japanese guitars much more than me.

My main , badly put point was that basswood would never make anything sound trebley.

My MIJ 94 strat is basswod and sounds great.

I think it's impossible to say. Fender Japan has quite a few basswood models but just as many ash and alder. Ibanez RG's are generally basswood but most of their other lines aren't, like the S series.

And pretty much none of the companies I'm into that make the fender and gibson copies....ever use basswood for them.

Of course because japanese guitars are more used by the "shred" community and that community has traditionally used basswood in their guitars they do for sure make a lot of them. But they make a lot of all kinds of guitars.

• Members

I also suggest checking the Pickup height. Hold the last fret down and try adjusting the height down so you have about 3mm clearance between the top of the pickup and the strings on both sides. That should rule out the pups being too close.

The rest is likely the amp or speaker. The gain channel on the smaller Peaveys can be pretty harsh in compared to other amps. I have a little Studio Pro and its gain can be fairly grainy and harsh in comparison to other amps. Its usable with the right guitar, but the guitar does have to have a good setup to avoid hearing beating between strings.

What I do is just use the amp clean and get the drive from boxes. Just dial up the best clean tone you can get and use a stomp box for your tones. I wouldn't jack with the guitar or mod it to sound good based on what you hear from that amp because its really not good enough to evaluate the guitar. I'd wait till you try the guitar through some good amps before making any of those decisions.

Archived