X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony

Hi, Yesterday I bought this guitar. When I play with the amp it sound very harsh. I try a lor of settings, but nothing. The amp is a Peavey Backstage II (I Know it isn't good), but is it possibile that My guitar has basswood body?

Originally posted by peppe1096 View Post
    Hi, Yesterday I bought this guitar. When I play with the amp it sound very harsh. I try a lor of settings, but nothing. The amp is a Peavey Backstage II (I Know it isn't good), but is it possibile that My guitar has basswood body?
    Possibly, but I doubt that is the problem. Most japanese made guitars are basewood. The Ibanez RG range is a great example. A fair few players with signature guitars specify basewood for it.
    Last edited by knotty; 06-14-2014, 03:09 AM.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man,
    If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

'' Who, me Officer?''

Comment

Originally posted by knotty View Post
      Possibly, but I doubt that is the problem. Most japanese made guitars are basewood.
      ???

Unless it's an Elitist, it's not made in Japan.

and most japanese guitars are not basswood. not that basswood is a bad thing....

Comment

How old is it and are you certain (ie you bought it from a Gibson dealer) that it is not a Chinese fake?
        Less is more

Comment

Possibly, but I doubt that is the problem. Most japanese made guitars are basewood. The Ibanez RG range is a great example. A fair few players with signature guitars specify basewood for it.
          If it's a real Epi LP Standard then it's not basswood. It'll be Mahogany body and neck (although not the same species of Mahogany that Gibson and most others use) and it'll have a maple cap on the body. Sometimes it's an alder cap, however. Regardless, the Standards have a cap.

As far as harshness... Basswood will never sound harsh. In fact, it's got a very smooth, midrangey tone with a soft (but present) treble.

What year is this guitar? Can you post a pic of your serial number? Epiphone's changed out their pickups recently. The old pickups used to either be very muddy sounding or particularly harsh sounding. It may just be an issue of the low-end pickups they used to use. The newer pickups (ProBuckers) are actually quite nice.
          Mazi Bee Militia!
          JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
          PpP
          My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

Originally posted by soundcreation View Post

???

Unless it's an Elitist, it's not made in Japan.

and most japanese guitars are not basswood. not that basswood is a bad thing....
            I thought they were, in terms of numbers , if not models. But you know japanese guitars much more than me.
            My main , badly put point was that basswood would never make anything sound trebley.

My MIJ 94 strat is basswod and sounds great.
            Don't pick a fight with an old man,
            If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

'' Who, me Officer?''

Comment

SOunds like electronics issue... Are the tone knobs turned up? is it on one pickup or both? Have you tried it/do you have access to another amp, just to see if it does the same thing if you change the amp...

Basswood isn't going to make the guitar sound harsh, you could bolt a good pickup to a piece of any kind of wood and it should collect the vibrations of the strings and make a decent sound if the pickup is OK/worth half a crap...

Comment

The only Epi I know that has a basswood body are the Epiphone Specials.

Comment

Some people think a "harsh" Epiphone is good. "Harsh" is a relative term, please describe "harsh" in non relative term. What is "harsh" ??? Be specific.
                  Last edited by Buttcrust; 06-15-2014, 12:46 AM.
                  Trooper #179. Epiphone Sorrento 50th ann. reissue, Riviera P93 (wine red, black pearl, Royale red, white, gold), Wildkat (white, natural) Emperor Swingster, ES-355, SG 400 (red, black), Dot Studio, ES-335 Pro, LP Standard Pro+, LP Junior , LP Florentine, EL-00, LP Special 1 (yellow, red), G-1275, Gretsch Electromatic CB, Double Jet w/Bigsby, Squier Deluxe Stratocaster, Affinity Tele, Greco electric double cut, Gibson LPJ, Les Paul Special Humbucker, LP "single F hole", Firebird, ES-335, Ibanez GA35, AF151, SGBE-110, Regal Duolian RC-2, Marcus Martini A mandolin, Valencia A electric mandolin, Savannah F mandolin, Maestro mando-caster, Ktone F mandolin, Stella 12 string acoustic, Hondo H-320, Yamaha F325, Rogue 6 string lap steel, Warmouth P bass, Vox Amplug AC30 and cabinet, Mini 3 G2, AromA mini recording amp, Digitech Whammy V5 and MIDI controller, Expression X whammy, T C Electronic Transition and Flashback loopers, Boss Distortion DS-1, e-Band JS10, Electro-Harmonics Ravish sitar simulator w/ 2 MOOG expression pedals, B9 organ synthesizer, Epiphone tweed mini, Century, Fender Mustang Mini, Passport Mini, GDEC 3-30, Mustang 3 V2 (40 watt) , Hiwatt Bulldog 20, Bugera V5 and 2x12 cabinet, 6260-212, Acoustic Lead 20, Marshall G10 MKII, NuX Amp Force, ZOOM G2Nu w/ expression pedal, SoundTech QM802 compact mixer,

Comment

I thought they were, in terms of numbers , if not models. But you know japanese guitars much more than me.
                    My main , badly put point was that basswood would never make anything sound trebley.

My MIJ 94 strat is basswod and sounds great.
                    I think it's impossible to say. Fender Japan has quite a few basswood models but just as many ash and alder. Ibanez RG's are generally basswood but most of their other lines aren't, like the S series.

And pretty much none of the companies I'm into that make the fender and gibson copies....ever use basswood for them.

Of course because japanese guitars are more used by the "shred" community and that community has traditionally used basswood in their guitars they do for sure make a lot of them. But they make a lot of all kinds of guitars.

Comment

Drop the pickups down as low as you can. See if there is a difference. You may beable to work them back up and find a sweet spot.

Comment

Let's play "Where's Peppe?"
                        Less is more

Comment

I also suggest checking the Pickup height. Hold the last fret down and try adjusting the height down so you have about 3mm clearance between the top of the pickup and the strings on both sides. That should rule out the pups being too close.

The rest is likely the amp or speaker. The gain channel on the smaller Peaveys can be pretty harsh in compared to other amps. I have a little Studio Pro and its gain can be fairly grainy and harsh in comparison to other amps. Its usable with the right guitar, but the guitar does have to have a good setup to avoid hearing beating between strings.

What I do is just use the amp clean and get the drive from boxes. Just dial up the best clean tone you can get and use a stomp box for your tones. I wouldn't jack with the guitar or mod it to sound good based on what you hear from that amp because its really not good enough to evaluate the guitar. I'd wait till you try the guitar through some good amps before making any of those decisions.

Comment

....and turn down the treble on the amp. And/or turn up the bass on the amp.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="DarkRed">***********Please check out my music:<br />
                            <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=789610" target="_blank">http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=789610</a></font></div>

Comment

Working...
                            X