What is a decent inexpensive SG style guitar???

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

They have the budget ones on sale at MF recently for $179. Think they have might be the ones with bolt on necks though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-sg-special-electric-guitar

There a pro here for $289, might be a better guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-g-400-pro-electric-guitar/h79042002002000

Its all mahogany so it should sound like an SG with the proper pickups

The one 60's SG I owned looked like this Trucks version. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2014-derek-trucks-signature-sg-electric-guitar It had the fattest electric neck of any electric I owned. It felt like you were playing a 12 string. .

• Members
No experience with them but you might try an ESP Viper.

The ESP Viper only looks like an SG -- actually it looks a bit more like a Guild Polara. The Viper is significantly heavier than a real-deal SG, because the body is thicker. You really don't get that distinct raunchy resonant vibe like you can get from a light thin-bodied SG.

Actually, if you are lucky enough to stumble across one, a Jay Turser JT50 Custom can get you into SG territory for less money than an Epiphone. A Turser JT50 Custom is a well built SG knockoff with quality hardware. You can find them used, usually for well under $200.

JT-50CUSTOMIV.jpg

• Members

The ESP Viper only looks like an SG -- actually it looks a bit more like a Guild Polara. The Viper is significantly heavier than a real-deal SG, because the body is thicker. You really don't get that distinct raunchy resonant vibe like you can get from a light thin-bodied SG.

Actually, if you are lucky enough to stumble across one, a Jay Turser JT50 Custom can get you into SG territory for less money than an Epiphone. A Turser JT50 Custom is a well built SG knockoff with quality hardware. You can find them used, usually for well under $200.

JT-50CUSTOMIV.jpg

Radar, I have seen these....although not in person...and they do look nice.

However, they go for about the same price as a used (but mint) G-400 SG Epiphone..... has anyone played the Epi, Turser, ESP LTD Viper???? and maybe the Agile SG copy as well??

• Members

I had a Korean Epi for a little while this year. I only traded it because I wanted a different guitar more, and I figured that I can get a Gibson in a few years (although they aren't making any that I want this year). People say the Chinese Epis are supposed to be better, and I own a MIC Thunderbird that is very nice.

I love Epiphones, so there's that.

Interestingly enough, as a side note, I picked up my uncle's old '87 Les Paul Standard for the first time in a while yesterday, and it didn't feel any different than my MIK Les Paul Custom. The Custom has a better acoustic tone too. His has a beautiful sunburst finish that's a little darker than your standard Cherry Burst, so I'm jealous anyway.

• Members

Well whatever I get...its going to be without playing it first...unless I score a Craigslist deal. All the stores within 70 miles of here are either out of biz, or will be soon with a very limited selection.

Buck--- My dad has a MIK Les Paul Custom that looks just like yours, and its every bit as nice as a 1997 Gibson Les Paul Custom I once owned....in fact, the Epi IMHO has louder and better acoustic qualities when not plugged in then my Gibson had. I have had 2 Gibson SG standards that were nice, and 1 that was horrible...... I can honestly say that I have yet own a Epi that I could call my #1..... but I have never owned a Epi that sucked either.

I will have to give this some thought.....pretty much have it down to an older Epi SG G-400, the new Epi SG Pro, or one of the Turser SG's like above.

• Members

Radar, I have seen these....although not in person...and they do look nice.

However, they go for about the same price as a used (but mint) G-400 SG Epiphone..... has anyone played the Epi, Turser, ESP LTD Viper???? and maybe the Agile SG copy as well??

I have played all of them multiple times over the years -- except the Agile.

Epiphone:

IMHO, the G400 Pro SG model is best Epiphone SG model currently available. Much like the similar Gibson model, it has a slightly fatter neck than the typical modern SG and a good neck joint. Some of the best Epiphones in the past have been the Limited Edition models. I've played a few exceptional Epiphone Limited Edition models over the years, but none lately. There was some sort of lemon burst Epi SG model about 3 or so years ago with a fat neck that was consistently the best Epi SG I've ever encountered. If you've played enough good Gibson SGs, it seems most Epiphone SGs are usually uninspired.

ESP/LTD Viper:

Even the least expensive Viper is a pretty good guitar, but like I was saying earlier, it only looks like an SG. The ESP/LTD Viper has a body outline that is a bit larger than an SG and its definitely thicker than any SG. The shape is actually closer to a Guild Polara. Every ESP/LTD I've played is noticeably heavier than any SG and it doesn't feel like an SG -- if any of that is important to you.

Turser:

The Turser JT50 Custom (SG) is not exactly like a Gibson SG in every regard, but it is close. It definitely feels like a Gibson SG and it is very close in weight to a Gibson SG, but, there are some differences. The Turser JT50 Custom has two-part abalone + MOP block inlays, neck and headstock binding, a Tusq nut, and, instead of a mahogany neck, it has a set-in maple neck. The maple neck makes for a slightly brighter tone -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing, what with the covered humbuckers and the 24.75 inch scale. The gold hardware and pickups are actually all quite decent. Maybe the weakest point on the Turser is the pickups. Fortunately, the JT50 Custom model has a good solid neck joint. As for the cheaper Turser SG with dot inlays, I'd generally avoid those models. I believe they are made at a different factory than the higher end Turser models.

http://www.jayturser.com/

There have been numerous people here at H-C in the past that reported that they gig Turser Strats, Teles and LPs regularly. These were usually people that bought a Turser as an emergency backup stage guitar, then over time it became their #1 or #2 stage guitar.

I owned a few "SG" models, including a Gibson SG Special (which I no longer have). These days, I have an older rough red-brown-finished Epiphone G400 that I "rescued" a few years back -- got for nearly free because it was missing easily-replaceable parts, then a Dearmond S-73 (with GoldTone pickups), a Turser JT45 SG Junior P90 with wraparound tailpiece, a Turser JT55P (P90) Special, and a white JT50 Custom like the one pictured earlier. I bought my JT50 Custom three years ago, new, for something like $149 (at Guitar Center). Even though it was definitely new and unused, Guitar Center was selling them (and some Turser LPs) as "used." I know you can't find those deals anymore, but, I recall people here occasionally reporting similar deals on the higher end model Turser SGs, Teles, and LPs on eBay.

PS: At some point, one of these days, I plan on dropping in a middle humbucker into my white JT50 Custom, for a total of three humbuckers -- like the Gibson SG Custom has. ;)

• Members

Radar----

The Epiphone that I am looking at is the SG G400 Pro.....these sell new for $349.... the Turser JT Custom I can get new at $199...... pretty much can't find the Turser used....and I can get a used, but minty SG G400 Pro in the $250-$275 area........

If you had to compare these two......what would your verdict be? Thanks

• Members

I have an SG and the Valkyrie, I'm a little sad to say that the Agile is on a par with the Gibson, although I did have to return the first one that was shipped to me (as per their reputation, Rondo were quite nice about it, ate the shipping when I pointed out why I was returning it).

Strengths:

* Really IS an SG copy; weight, feel, action, etc., are clearly in imitation of the SG.

* Sounds much, much better than I expected. Esp the pups, which I had assumed I'd be replacing ASAP. Nope.

* Stainless steel frets, well finished. In fact, just a terrific neck.

* Much nicer tuners/bridge than I expected / have experienced with Epis and lower end Gibbies, even. Solid, no feel of flimsiness.

* Looks real nice. Sort of an amber burst with nice tiger striping. I'd have posted a pic, but HC thinks that apparently I'm not to be trusted with such weighty privileges.

Weaknesses:

* No one will gush over your having an Agile. And let's face it, it's nice when others gush.

* None. Really. Came with a far better finish than most non-US-Standard level guitars I know, and I am quite familiar with various Asian production lines and etc.

Again, the first one that arrived was not a nice guitar. In fact, I'd offer the opinion that buying an Agile means making a commitment to potentially returning what you first receive. I didn't mind, it was sure worth it, and all communication was prompt. No "where is it?" My understanding is that Rondo doesn't open the boxes here in the US, they basically are a drop-ship and forward you the guitar. Which means QC roulette, but ....

If you offered to swap me the nicest Epi SG copy for that guitar, I'd politely decline.

• Members
I have an SG and the Valkyrie' date=' I'm a little sad to say that the Agile is on a par with the Gibson, [b']although[/b] I did have to return the first one that was shipped to me (as per their reputation, Rondo were quite nice about it, ate the shipping when I pointed out why I was returning it).

Strengths:

* Really IS an SG copy; weight, feel, action, etc., are clearly in imitation of the SG.

* Sounds much, much better than I expected. Esp the pups, which I had assumed I'd be replacing ASAP. Nope.

* Much nicer tuners/bridge than I expected / have experienced with Epis and lower end Gibbies, even. Solid, no feel of flimsiness.

* Looks real nice. Sort of an amber burst with nice tiger striping. I'd have posted a pic, but HC thinks that apparently I'm not to be trusted with such weighty privileges.

The Valkyries on their site now all seem to sport high-ish output ceramic pups (8.14 neck and 17.4 bridge). Does yours have those, or are they alnico?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Radar----

The Epiphone that I am looking at is the SG G400 Pro.....these sell new for $349.... the Turser JT Custom I can get new at $199...... pretty much can't find the Turser used....and I can get a used, but minty SG G400 Pro in the $250-$275 area........

It would obviously be the used minty Epiphone SG G400 Pro.

The neck profiles are identical between the Pro versions of the SG and Les Paul.

• Moderators
I have an SG and the Valkyrie' date=' I'm a little sad to say that the Agile is on a par with the Gibson, [b']although[/b] I did have to return the first one that was shipped to me (as per their reputation, Rondo were quite nice about it, ate the shipping when I pointed out why I was returning it).

Strengths:

Stainless frets?

• Moderators

With regards a mid 90s Korean (Unsung) made Epi G400 that I decided to use for a guinea pig. Stripped it all down, the body was a very soft whiteish wood, no relation to mahogany, and the neck felt light a softwood, Construction wise - 6/10, materials 4/10, hardware 5/10, sound - unpleasant.

My favourite non SG SG is either the Vintage VS6 s or the ESP/Ltd Vypers.

I'd like to see one of the Agiles.

• Members
Radar----

I'd probably hunt for a used Gibson SG and spend a little more money if necessary.

Archived