New Guitar Day!!!! 1980's Japanese Squier Content

Danoman

• Members

Here's some pics of my new Squier Katana, The guitar is new / old stock, made in Japan around '85 or '86. It came with the original fitted hard shell case. I had the original humbucker replaced with a red & black Dimarzio Super Distortion humbucker, and i swapped the bent steel saddles for a set of Graph-Tech String Saver saddles. I'm taking it to band practice tomorrow for the first time.... can't wait!

fetch?id=31178920fetch?id=31178921fetch?id=31178922fetch?id=31178923

• Members
I remember those... :D

You know, cosmetics of the Katana aside, the 80s era MIJ Squier stuff is really good - IMO, as "vintage" stuff goes, they're pretty under-rated.

Congrats on the cool and somewhat unusual score! Where on earth did you find one NOS?

I got it at Music Haven in Johnstown, PA. I think that when this guitar didn't sell in the 80's it was moved to the back room of the store and forgotten about. It's like this thing was in a time capsule, inside the guitar case the tremolo bar and allen wrench were still inside the bag with the blank warranty card, hang tag, and keys to the case. I saw this guitar hanging up in the store about 5 years ago, i thought it was cool so i put it on layaway. Ray the store owner took it down from where it was hanging, put it in the case and took it in the back room. I went back and forth for a while, decided the guitar wasn't for me and cancelled the layaway. (I thought the guitar was a little too crazy for me) Well after cancelling the layaway i often thought about the guitar, and wished i had bought it... thought i'd never see it again. A few months ago the bass player and i were looking around the shop and saw a row of guitar cases up against the wall, one of the guitar cases had a hang tag sticking out of the case.

I read the tag and sure enough, it said MIJ Squier Kantana 1980's. Ray said i could have it for 295.00 since it's been there almost 30 years. I bought the pickup, and saddles and had Ray put them on for me and set up the guitar. I just brought it home yesterday, and can't wait to take it to it's first band practice today.

Archived