HNGD - Gibson Content

BG76

• Members
Pretty beat up' date=' but I hope I look as cool when I'm that age. . . .[/quote']

And what age is that? What year is it? Nice looking guitar although I prefer my Les Pauls with pickguards. Congratulations and Happy New (Old) Guitar Day.

• Members

Very nice BG, Gibson makes the best P90s IMO and those old ones were the best of the best.

Didn't realize that Thompson played one at some point (always associated him with Strats). Interesting tones on an old classic. Actually never heard that version before - always associated it with American artist Judy Collins when come to find out, it was a Brit, Sandy Denny that actually wrote it.

• Members
Very nice BG, Gibson makes the best P90s IMO and those old ones were the best of the best.

Didn't realize that Thompson played one at some point (always associated him with Strats). Interesting tones on an old classic. Actually never heard that version before - always associated it with American artist Judy Collins when come to find out, it was a Brit, Sandy Denny that actually wrote it.

He used the goldtop on three Fairport albums. He didn't start recording with a Strat until Fullhouse, and that wasn't the same Strat he used for his solo records, either. For the first Fairport album, he used a Gibson ES-135. He went to single coils because he didn't want to be compared to Eric Clapton and liked a grittier tone.

• Members
The headstock logo, is that a transfer like the studios? Cant really tell. Didnt realise they did that on the old ones, but I know jack about Gibsons.

Looks v cool though.

fetch?filedataid=101336

The headstock logo is an inlay, but the Les Paul is gone. IIRC it's silkscreened on these (or it's a decal over the lacquer, but I'm 99% sure it's silkscreened) but at any rate, this one is pretty much gone.

This one has repro knobs, Grovers, new pots (I had some Grey Tigers I put in, but it should have bumblebees) and wiring. All in all, for what it cost it was a super deal. Plus, I can actually play it and not worry so much about it.

Thanks! I prefer the older stuff to the newer. I wish this one was not quite so rough' date=' but it sounds and plays fantastic![/quote']

Yeah, but if it was cleaner, you'd be less inclined to actually play and enjoy it, right? I know you've got a lot of very nice and very clean guitars - I think it's great you found a cool one to add to the collection that you can enjoy a bit more / a bit differently than the others. :)

Congrats and HNGD! :cool:

• Members

I have some clean stuff, like that 6120 I have, but I play everything. The main difference is I'll take this out and play it live. It's got some replaced parts, but all in all it sounds great and is fun to play - which is the bottom line for me.

Archived