vintage 1966 harmony bobcat

susantg

• Members

There's nothing special about the nut. I'd make the nut myself out of bone which is probably better then the cheap plastic nuts they had.

Here's the bridge. Way overpriced however. I doubt the guitar is worth thet much. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compatable-Replacment-Guitar-Part-Bridge-Harmony-Silvertone-Bobcat-Luthier-Parts-/261491387010?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3ce219ea82

They used wooden bridges on those guitars with a flat bottom. You can find Teisco bridges for as low as $20 if you dig around a bit. They are which are basically the same kind of bridge http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Original-1960s-Teisco-Electric-Guitar-Bridge-Chrome-Adjustable-MIJ-Nice-/171343810987?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27e4e311ab

You may find an arch top bridge as well but you'd have to grind the bottom flat because they're designed for a curved top.

Personally I'd install a Gibson type TOM bridge so you're able to intonate the guitar. The guitars aren't exactly holy relics and don't sell for much so its not going to devalue the instrument and actually make the playability improve greatly. With a straight bridge you have to use really heavy strings like an acoustic to avoid major intonation issues. With adjustable saddles you can make it play as good as any other guitars so long as the neck and frets are in good shape.

• Members

woah, great score

those Bobcats are actually great fun and with that exquisite little DeArmond Golden Tone pick-up. The model is the H14. Good to know that there are still such good deals to be found on these little undersetimated cheapo guitars, now that a couple of trendy acts like St Vincent play these old Harmony guitars, prices are going up,, going for 350$ to 600$ (which is a bit too much).

Perhaps you could ask Eastwood guitars for replacement nut and bridge (Eastwood makes the Airline RI version)

or just look for a generic nut and height adjustable tension bridge and play the hell out of it

• Members

Personally, I second the idea of a Tune-O-Matic bridge. As for the nut, just find a pre-made TUSQ one that has the right dimensions. You can find them on eBay. You'll probably have to modify whatever you get but you should be able to find something close.

• Members
Personally' date=' I second the idea of a Tune-O-Matic bridge. As for the nut, just find a pre-made TUSQ one that has the right dimensions. You can find them on eBay. You'll probably have to modify whatever you get but you should be able to find something close.[/quote']

You can see that's what I did- TOM bridge +. JB bridge pup...and "new" vintage tuners. I Had to carve different grooves in the bridge to make the string spacing fit. Don't care about vintage value...this is a played guitar.

• Members

You can see that's what I did- TOM bridge +. JB bridge pup...and "new" vintage tuners. I Had to carve different grooves in the bridge to make the string spacing fit. Don't care about vintage value...this is a played guitar.

Actually, I can't see. I'm at work and can't see your pics for whatever reason. I'll take your word for it though.

• Members

hmmm, I can see the pic, what did you do with the original bridge pup ? I was just looking at eBay prices for those old pickups (good lord).

Anyway, those old DeArmond pups are great, the ones or my Stratotone are, the ones my Guild Thunderbiord are phenomenal, and I slso have one of those old soundhole PUs that I use on my beat up acoustic, sounds great as well.

Personally, I'd steer away from a TOM bridge and try to get as close to original specs as possible, cheap and cheerful. My Stratotone also has a tension bridge, and no intonation issues whatsoever, just have the bridge lsligh angle

15_Harmony_Stratotone.jpg

• Members

Wow! Great score!

If you plan on fixing it up to sell, keep it as original as possible. I just sold a '64 Silvertone 1476 (same guitar as the 2-pickup Bobkat) for $350.

If you plan on keeping it, a decent set of tuners will make a world of difference.

Archived