Time to retune all of your guitars?

• Members

What surprises me is that there is any difference at all!

However the outcome seems to be that the 440 sounds considerably fresher than the 432.

Next stage in the experiment would be to slow the 440 recording down that fraction and see if it sounds like the 432 or maintains the difference in timbre.

• Members

There is a lot of info out there on this. Some of it seems pretty unfounded (Nazis etc.). However, the idea is that 432 resonates at a with all sorts of naturally occurring phenomenon (life) where as 440 introduces a bit of a clashing.

this picture helps to demonstrate this,

Screen-Shot-2013-12-24-at-1.22.36-PM.png

I'm not saying it is so, just that that's the idea.

Supposedly The Beatles tuned 432 Hz. It would be fun to verify that.

I tuned a Strat to 432 and played for about an hour. I enjoyed it, but I always enjoyed playing. Then I pickup up another guitar tuned to 440 and played for 20 minutes or so. I enjoyed that too.

...It's an interesting idea anyway.

• Members

"Yogic schools teach that all living beings exhale and inhale 21,600 times a day. 21,600x2=43,200.

There are 86,400 seconds in a 24 hour period, 43,200 seconds for each 12 hour period of day and night.

The diameter of the sun is 864,000 miles (2 x 432). The diameter of the moon is 2160 miles (432 / 2).

The orbit of Jupiter takes about 4332.59 days, or about 12 years.

A computer program found that the optimal number of dimples on a golf ball is 432."

• Members

When this came up the first time it was 431 vs 440 so I did both. And since it was a suitably mystical topic, I used my guitar into enough FX processors to create a new-agey atmosphere:

http://madsound.dyndns.org/440431/431.mp3

For the 431hz based piece

http://madsound.dyndns.org/440431/440.mp3

For the 440hz based piece

What do you think? I know that I found the 431 felt a little more unsettling and less relaxed IMO.

• Members
There is a lot of info out there on this. Some of it seems pretty unfounded (Nazis etc.). However, the idea is that 432 resonates at a with all sorts of naturally occurring phenomenon (life) where as 440 introduces a bit of a clashing.

this picture helps to demonstrate this,

Screen-Shot-2013-12-24-at-1.22.36-PM.png

I'm not saying it is so, just that that's the idea.

Supposedly The Beatles tuned 432 Hz. It would be fun to verify that.

I tuned a Strat to 432 and played for about an hour. I enjoyed it, but I always enjoyed playing. Then I pickup up another guitar tuned to 440 and played for 20 minutes or so. I enjoyed that too.

...It's an interesting idea anyway.

Well after listening I must say I am not blown away. I think it is interesting, because it ''wrong foots' you, not going where your brain expects. But better???

Interesting though.

Its certainly not ''in tune'' with my psyche. Mind you that could explain a lot.

• Members

First thing to realise is that the second is a completely arbitrary length of time The day is a real'ish' duration as a world rotation, but hours minutes and seconds are not. Neither are feet, miles, or inches. Base 10 numbers are also arbitrary based on our fingers. So trying to get relationships between these elements bases on the length of a Romans foot or the distance between the emperors fingertip and the tip of his nose is delusional.

Gamalan to all that .

One thing worth noting though is that, especially through the 20th century, all music is in tune and the little hair receptors in our ear cochlea will have experienced predominantly those frequencies. The slight shift here will be vibrating the adjascent hairs which are not ususally the centre of attention so may well be less fatigued by a lifetime of 440 based scales presenting the auditory part of the brain with a slightly different signal to what it is used to. Hence the novel sensation.

• Members

Here's a good one for you when it comes to dialing up the best pitch and tone. It sounds far fetched but it actually works. I'm not sure if you all are over 21 so you may not visit clubs to see bands, but I spent half my life playing clubs so I've see allot of bands over the years.

Way back, must have been in the 70's I went out with some fellow musicians to bar hop and see the best bands around and we'd go in and see a band, have a few beers, check a band out then go see another. While I was watching this one killer cover band with a beer can in one hand, sipping away, I noticed the can vibrating my finger tips. As I drained the can empty, the can was vibrating like a tuning fork in my hand. I gave it to my buddies and asked them what they felt and they are felt the same resonance of the can in their hands.

We kind of blew it off with a chuckle and went on to see another band. They weren't nearly as good and guess what. The can didn't vibrate like it had for the other band. We went to see a third band which again was pretty good, and dam it if the can didn't resonate like the first did.

In later years I remembered that effect and when I got into recording heavily and got a mix close to being perfect, you guessed it. I'd get that same beer can resonance happening when the music's midrange was pumping just right. I tested this on a bunch of completed mixes and I found the mixes that didn't produce this resonance weren't up to par. I figured it was just a coincidence but it sure was a real interesting one. If a can in the hands of customers lets them know when its empty, the proprietor is more likely to sell more product.

I surely wont go as far as saying the cans were designed to do that, but music and refreshments do get grouped together allot. In any case you may want to investigate it for yourself. Try it in front of a good Hi Fi system with different music, then try it in front of your guitar amp. You'll likely find a specific chord or note that will make that can vibrate off a table.

• Members

About twenty years ago my band accidentally tuned to 432 and decided to stay there because the lead singer found it "just a little easier" to sing - we even recorded one album at 432. We eventually went back to 440 in order to be in tune with everybody else.

Recently I've had to rearrange my home a bit and my practice studio is now subjected to household appliance sounds. The main problem I had with the "whirring spinning things" is that they made my instruments sound out of tune. One day I tuned to 432 and now everything is harmonious again.

I feel like 432 is more in tune with the vibrations around me but I need to be tuned to the more arbitrary "standard pitch" because of my profession.

It's a lot easier to tune and retune modern instruments than it was twenty years ago.

• Members
When this came up the first time it was 431 vs 440 so I did both. And since it was a suitably mystical topic, I used my guitar into enough FX processors to create a new-agey atmosphere:

What do you think? I know that I found the 431 felt a little more unsettling and less relaxed IMO.

Wanted to check it out but my security software blocked it. Sounded like an interesting experiment.

The acoustic clip definitely did not convince me to change off from 440.

• Members

I tune my acoustics to whatever the individual guitar resonates best at, whether its 440, 432, or something else.

Am I the only one who though the 432 sounded like dog crap?

​It's a priming effect. The first example you hear sets your auditory baseline, and anything higher or lower in pitch will sound off. Most people will think whatever pitch they hear first sounds better, whether its 440 or 432.

• Moderators

I found the 431 and what I can only describe as a less earthly sound, it sounded like nature, in contrst the 440 sounded predictable and bland.

I listened to the 431 first

• Members
You guys who are interested in numbers and geometry will enjoy this,

b5yCHx2_qY4

I am exploring what can be called new age beliefs myself. There are two big problems with A=432 working as far as being harmonious, spiritual, etc.

First is that the second is an arbitrary unit of measurement. Its length is what we decide it is. If we had decided the length of the second as something different, then the pitch of A=432 would different, though the math still works. Obviously the intrinsic characteristics of a pitch isn't going to change because the length of the second did. While on the subject, the length of the second was changed (though slightly) in the early 1960's when atomic time was used for measurement, not the Earth's rotation around the sun.

Even when the length of the second was based around lunar events, what fraction of time of the lunar event that the second represented was still arbitrary. It also didn't help the the length of these lunar events varied, making units of measurement based upon them vary as well.

The second problem is our use of equal temperament intonation. Without going into full blown music theory, the idea behind equal temperament is to be able to play in all keys on one instrument by making all the keys equally "off". Assuming A=432 is everything it is made out of be, switching to other keys in equal temperament would lose whatever qualities A=432 is supposed to have.

• Members
Am I the only one who though the 432 sounded like dog crap?

Nope. Sounded weird and sad.

As far as resonating with nature... Lots of things resonate at lots of different frequencies. Hell, look at the wood our guitars are made of. Each plank of that resonates at different frequencies. So I call shenanigans on that argument.

Archived