What is the nicest Fender Stratocaster you have ever played?

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

It started out as a MIM strat that I bought because I loved the color. I've spent the past 4-5 years trying to bond with it. I almost sold it several times because I couldn't, but I kept because I love the color. Upgraded nearly everything on it... it finally came down to the neck. I build custom necks, and decided to put one of my necks on it. WOW! It is bokote over birdseye maple,abalone markers, medium-tall frets, 12" radius on top and deep C on the bottom, and FAT! Measures nearly 1-7/8" at the nut. It really transformed the sound in a way that's hard to describe, but probably most notable is the sustainnnnnnnnn...... And I love the feel of a strat with a fat neck! I have some of John Benson's handwounds in it... great pickups!

IMG_2891_zpse4f71d4b.jpg

IMG_2894_zpsa2e6dde9.jpg

• Members

It started out as a MIM strat that I bought because I loved the color. I've spent the past 4-5 years trying to bond with it. I almost sold it several times because I couldn't, but I kept because I love the color. Upgraded nearly everything on it... it finally came down to the neck. I build custom necks, and decided to put one of my necks on it. WOW! It is bokote over birdseye maple,abalone markers, medium-tall frets, 12" radius on top and deep C on the bottom, and FAT! Measures nearly 1-7/8" at the nut. It really transformed the sound in a way that's hard to describe, but probably most notable is the sustainnnnnnnnn...... And I love the feel of a strat with a fat neck! I have some of John Benson's handwounds in it... great pickups!

IMG_2891_zpse4f71d4b.jpg

IMG_2894_zpsa2e6dde9.jpg

Nice neck. How much does something like that cost?

• Members

When I was a kid, the kid across the street from me had a Stratocaster which he let me play. I was 9 he was 11. 1962, nice guitar. He kept it and played in a band in high school, late 60's and a jug band before that. He showed me a few tunes. I have no idea where he is now, we both moved.

• Members

IMG_2891_zpse4f71d4b.jpg

IMG_2894_zpsa2e6dde9.jpg

Looks like Sage Green Metallic. I have one and love that color. It's an '04 MIM and I love the skinny frets, hate the skinny neck though.

• Members
I'll stick with my (early) 1955. I like the big crazy knobs, round pickup covers, football switch and round string tree. Sounds great with the matching '55 Deluxe.

479764_577183628982878_1634089561_n.jpg

Now there is a boy with some deep pockets for that set-up.

Still....I am sure a SX through a 1986 Gorilla 25watt sounds just as good. philthumb

• Members

It's really hard to say as I've never AB'd them all at the same time. I know that I was impressed with the Eric Johnson Signature. Made more of an impression on me than a Custom Shop I got to try once. I'm kind of a vintage guy so I'm pretty sure I'd be waaay impressed with the sounds coming out of BG's 55.

As for myself, I honestly can't imagine Strats I'd enjoy more than the three I have right now and two are just heavily modded MIM Fender Squier Series (the other an 89 American). Fender made so many great guitars and I swear they all have a little different sonic personality. My 89 American (Alder body, maple neck) has a Custom Shop in the neck and two noiseless in the middle and bridge - the guy that owned it before me is a hotshot player with a couple of different gigs and an agent for those last second session jobs. My 91 MIM (Alder body, maple neck) has a Biltoft (Vintage Vibe) Alnico 5 in the neck and two lace sensors in the middle and bridge. My 98 MIM (poplar body, pau fero neck) has two GFS Alnico Boutiques in the neck and middle with the stock ceramic bucker in the bridge. I've been known to say that the 89 is Blues, the 91, Rock and the 98, Country cause they all have their own personalities. They all have incredible necks, play like butter and sound fabulous.

• Members

TCS12360_3_zps1a9ee7ec.jpg

I copied this picture but I have the same guitar. It's a 56 Custom shop Taos Turquoise Strat I bought from a friend of mine. It's a fantastic guitar. Once when I took it to a local guitar center to get a set up done, everyone in the shop was smitten with it. Even the set up guy, who I've known for a long time with tons of experience could not get over how nice it is. The manager offered to buy it if I ever wanted to sell it. No way. Plus my friend who sold it to me passed away a couple of years ago and it's very sentimental to me.

• Members

Probably my old black '86 MIJ contemporary strat. Terrible trem but wonderful neck and it had a unique visual look. But it got damaged and it wasn't really right after the accident it was in. As far as a strat I own right now I'd have to say the RR Strat I got in trade for my old orange one.

• Members
TCS12360_3_zps1a9ee7ec.jpg

I copied this picture but I have the same guitar. It's a 56 Custom shop Taos Turquoise Strat I bought from a friend of mine. It's a fantastic guitar. Once when I took it to a local guitar center to get a set up done, everyone in the shop was smitten with it. Even the set up guy, who I've known for a long time with tons of experience could not get over how nice it is. The manager offered to buy it if I ever wanted to sell it. No way. Plus my friend who sold it to me passed away a couple of years ago and it's very sentimental to me.

That's luscious.eekphil

• Members

A friend had a '57 before the 'vintage' collector craze began. I played it once, and it was definitely the best Strat I ever played. A guy waved 8 C-notes in front of my friend's face, and that was that. This was around 1981, or so. When asked about it a couple of years ago, he said: "I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT, OR I'LL CRY."

I believed him.

Archived