Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I don't own a Strat

Because I've never given them a chance.
    If I ever really played one , I mean more than just picking one up at the store, I probably would own one
    But it would have to be noiseless.

You may be to lazy to do proper maintenance. Then you will think it's the strats fault it will not stay in tune.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleH View Post
      You may be to lazy to do proper maintenance. Then you will think it's the strats fault it will not stay in tune.
      Good point. Too lazy or more likely just not knowing what it needs

Comment

strat too flat

Comment

Originally posted by Steve2112 View Post
          strat too flat
          In what way?
          One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post
            Because I've never given them a chance.
            If I ever really played one , I mean more than just picking one up at the store, I probably would own one
            But it would have to be noiseless.
            I have a friend with the same attitude.

But, if the Strat isn't your thang, then it isn't your thang, you know? Just let er go.

Me? Sunburst strat with rosewood board is THE definition of the electric guitar. YMMV.

Comment

I do own a Strat (well, a Fernandes knockoff) and I wish I didn't. It's heavy and I don't care for a trem, especially the way it affects tuning stability. Granted part of that is me coming from an acoustic background but still . . .
              Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
              Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
              Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
              Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I got four of em (one MIA, two MIMs and one MIJ) and I don't get this tuning instability stigma they seem to be getting around here. I can bend notes to death, and use the trem (I don't divebomb) the way the good Lord intended it (vibrato quivers) and none of em budge even the MIMs (my MIMs are 90's Fender Squier Series with cut rate tuners). Trust me, all of my Strats stay in tune better than my friend's $2,000 Gibson Les Paul with the tulip tuners.
                The most important thing I look for in a musician is whether he knows how to listen --Duke Ellington

Comment

Originally posted by DaleH View Post
                  Same point, different day.

It is the Strats fault and has nothing to do with being lazy.
                  The fact is that Strats have tuning issues.
                  "Issues" is defined subjectively by the user, i.e. me.

my general definition of a "Strat" within the context of what we all understand a Strat to be:

First, a Strat is a guitar that has a stock nut or modded Tusq XL nut, but not a locking nut.
                  Second, a Strat has a floating trem. That is how that trem system was designed to be used.
                  I appreciate that people have come up with all sorts of jerry rigged solutions to the tunnig issuses on Strats, but they each take away functionality from the original purpose of a floating trem. This would be things like blocking and decking.

So yeah, one can play a Strat and not find much problem with tuning stability. But if you are someone who actually uses the trem in any kind of modern way that trems can be used, then you find that there is a imprecise nature to this systems design. This is precisely why Floyd Rose invented his contraption, and why players choose to solve this problem by decking their trem or blocking it off all together (which is really weak sauce).

You will never go to a show and not see a Strat player with a floating trem (who uses it) retuning after each and every song. Even with the best bands with guitar techs.

I get that one can get by with a Strat, but the compromise is that you always have to F- with it. This is not the case with trems that utilize locking nuts and saddles. These guitars simply don't go out of tune no matter what you do to them.
                  So there is your contrast. One system that is rock solid, and one that you accept regularly F-ing with.

That is "tuning issues" as defined by me.
                  The most perfectly set up Strats got it, other guitars don't.

You can look at a guy like Jeff Beck, too. He uses the whammy bar a lot. What did he do about this problem?
                  He had roller nuts installed on his guitars. These guitars also have locking tuners. So, this is actually a good solution to the tuning issue on Strats. On Fender's own website they sell LSR roller nuts and it reads, "LSR roller nut reduces friction that can [does] cause tuning instability." Roller nuts are not that common on guitars and it is more of an aftermarket mod to the Stratocaster. I don't lump those guitars in with stock Strats.

I'm just talking 99.99% of stock Strats.
                  They got tuning issues. Deal.
                  Other then that, I like them well enough, but give me a floyd rose type trem any day over a 6 screw or 2 point Fender trem.

There is more to talk about here, in particular as to why decking is a crummy solution and the science of what exactly is causing the tuning instability issues on the Fender system.
                  Maybe someone will pickup that stream below.

Happy tuning.

Besides being a guitar player,
                  I'm a big fan of the guitar.
                  I love that damn instrument.
                  -Steve Vai

Comment

Originally posted by wankdeplank View Post
                    I got four of em (one MIA, two MIMs and one MIJ) and I don't get this tuning instability stigma they seem to be getting around here. I can bend notes to death, and use the trem (I don't divebomb) the way the good Lord intended it (vibrato quivers) and none of em budge even the MIMs (my MIMs are 90's Fender Squier Series with cut rate tuners). Trust me, all of my Strats stay in tune better than my friend's $2,000 Gibson Les Paul with the tulip tuners.
                    People are tuning wrong. They tune and yank. This is fine at first. But you have to let the guitar settle into it's natural tuning position. I used to have trouble with my Wilkinsen, but I figured out that (after break in) if I press down on the bar, let it come back up naturally- and tune it THERE...that's where it will always come back to. In my experience, if I kept tugging the strings...it would pull it out of it's natural tuning site.

Anyway...it's not a strat but it works well for my trem.

Comment

Originally posted by billybilly View Post

In what way?
                      I was kidding sort of. At one point, I looked at my small collection and realized all my guitars were carved tops. That is until I added a Tele.

Les Paul
                      Brian Moore (a unique curved top)
                      Mockingbird
                      Old USA Harmony Hollow

I realized I favored the raised position of the strings in relation to the body top. Actually have a little bit of trouble with a strat due to being so close to the body and the way my wrist settles. The Tele might be curing that because I've been going to it a LOT!

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd Rosenbomb View Post

my general definition of a "Strat" within the context of what we all understand a Strat to be:

First, a Strat is a guitar that has a stock nut or modded Tusq XL nut, but not a locking nut.
                        Second, a Strat has a floating trem. That is how that trem system was designed to be used.
                        I appreciate that people have come up with all sorts of jerry rigged solutions to the tunnig issuses on Strats, but they each take away functionality from the original purpose of a floating trem. This would be things like blocking and decking.

So yeah, one can play a Strat and not find much problem with tuning stability. But if you are someone who actually uses the trem in any kind of modern way that trems can be used, then you find that there is a imprecise nature to this systems design. This is precisely why Floyd Rose invented his contraption, and why players choose to solve this problem by decking their trem or blocking it off all together (which is really weak sauce).

You will never go to a show and not see a Strat player with a floating trem (who uses it) retuning after each and every song. Even with the best bands with guitar techs.

I get that one can get by with a Strat, but the compromise is that you always have to F- with it. This is not the case with trems that utilize locking nuts and saddles. These guitars simply don't go out of tune no matter what you do to them.
                        So there is your contrast. One system that is rock solid, and one that you accept regularly F-ing with.

That is "tuning issues" as defined by me.
                        The most perfectly set up Strats got it, other guitars don't.

You can look at a guy like Jeff Beck, too. He uses the whammy bar a lot. What did he do about this problem?
                        He had roller nuts installed on his guitars. These guitars also have locking tuners. So, this is actually a good solution to the tuning issue on Strats. On Fender's own website they sell LSR roller nuts and it reads, "LSR roller nut reduces friction that can [does] cause tuning instability." Roller nuts are not that common on guitars and it is more of an aftermarket mod to the Stratocaster. I don't lump those guitars in with stock Strats.

I'm just talking 99.99% of stock Strats.
                        They got tuning issues. Deal.
                        Other then that, I like them well enough, but give me a floyd rose type trem any day over a 6 screw or 2 point Fender trem.

There is more to talk about here, in particular as to why decking is a crummy solution and the science of what exactly is causing the tuning instability issues on the Fender system.
                        Maybe someone will pickup that stream below.

Happy tuning.

One thing to consider though....about your "weak sauce" point.......cause as someone who decks his strat's trem (and doesn't use it) I'm taking it personally...lol....is that strats with a trem produce a different tone and feel than a hard tail. In my experience anyway...I don't think hard tail strats sound like "strats". I have my floyd guitars for trem use....but I want THAT strat sound...the sound with a trem....yes I could use a strat with a floyd but I don't care enough to seek out a 50's ash/maple style with nitro finish that has a floyd...hard to find...in fact..I'd go as far as saying nobody makes that kind of strat with a floyd that would be as good as the one I have.....and I'm NOT modding the one I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd Rosenbomb View Post

~SNIPPED FOR LONG_WINDED SPACE~

Happy tuning.

mg]

Wow...You qualify your whole argument on "stock" strat? Aren't strats coming "stock" with locking tuners? I had thought some strats come with LTs..but maybe I am wrong. I don't see any issue with modifying the guitar and still being a "strat". Just like a humbucker still makes it a strat right?

Locking tuners still makes it a strat. Lots of guitars have them now so it surely must NOT be just a strat issue. You mentioned Jeff Beck...and his strat comes with locking tuners. That makes it "STOCK". Sure it's a sig model....but you can get it w/o a "special order".

Like I said...locking tuners make sense on ANY guitar and not just on a strat so...seems like you might have some dog in this fight the way you insist on qualifying your argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve2112 View Post

Like I said...locking tuners make sense on ANY guitar and not just on a strat so...seems like you might have some dog in this fight the way you insist on qualifying your argument.
                            I'm going to split a tiny hair on this one....

I've got a carvin with a floyd and it has locking tuners and quite honestly they are totally unnecessary.

Comment

Basically he's saying that a standard Strat as it was designed by Leo Fender has tuning issues. I agree. I have a few Strat-like guitars that have improvements...but yea a stock strat I never touch that whammy bar. It'll knock everything out of tune.
                              Originally Posted by DToad:

Lets face it- today's GOP is all about the richest one percent exploiting the dumbest fifty percent.

Comment

Working...
                              X