I'm running out of gas

billybilly

• Members

Crazy days... I'm down to 3 guitars. A partscaster strat, a gibson les paul and a blueridge acoustic, never been happier and more satisfied. Like most of us, have been through a lot of guitars but am presently content. I don't know why but it's calming. I know it goes against the grain of this place but does anyone else feel this way?

• Members

Almost, If I had that one more guitar then I would have enough and be satisfied.

A solid body, a semi-hollow ,and hollow body now I just need that nice acoustic. Oh yeah I keep forgetting about that 12 string stashed under the bed. But just one more then I'm done

• Members

You cant write a great novel just because you bought a gold Mont Blanc fountain pen. But you could write "The Old Man and the Sea" with a pencil.

It took me a few years (and bucks) to learn that. I can honestly say I have come up with more good licks on my old Encore than I ever did with the LP.

It's old and battered so it just kicks around the house with me and is usually in my hands several hours a day so it gets like a second voice. No having to get it out of the case or worrying if I spill coffee on it. I never play the acoustics to be honest, I find it like getting on a bicycle after the Kawasaki.

I have no interest in new guitars these days but I like renovating and setting up old guitars esp old Matsumoku kit because I like the quality.

So yep, I am happy with The

Encore HSS,

Peavey Falcon,

Epi LP, and

Westone Thunderjet.

There is a Hondo 335 clone that gets the odd airing but the other 4 are all I need these days.

New guitars won't help me, it's all down to my playing and songwriting skills.... oh {censored}!

• Members
I believe all electric players should have one decent acoustic and all acoustic players should have one decent electric. What kind of acoustic are you after Gardo?

One like my neighbor used to give me my first lessons

9494ce67ab.jpg

A 1948 Martin D-18

no other guitar has had that same magic

If I ever win the lottery I'll have one

• Members

One like my neighbor used to give me my first lessons

9494ce67ab.jpg

A 1948 Martin D-18

no other guitar has had that same magic

If I ever win the lottery I'll have one

Can't help with a '48 D18 but Blueridge has a very good reputation as a poor man's Martin. Check them out at Maury's: http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_vs__martin. As for my own GAS, I'd really like to trade my Fernandes Strat in on a hollowbody, say an Ibanez Artcore, but I don't play electric enough to justify it to myself. A really nice acoustic, say a Breedlove, would be nice as well.

• Members
Trust me dude, you're still on your LP honeymoon. Can't get enough, hittin that poon every second I bet. Give it some time, they all have their charms.

Probably but I do feel content. Might be blasphemy around here but my acoustic gets more play than anything.

• Members

One thing is if you do invest your spare cash good quality used instruments,

the cash will still be there when you sell and maybe even create some decent profit.

I know if I didn't spend my extra cash on gear it would likely be spent on something consumable

that's here today and gone tomorrow. At least with a guitar, you get to enjoy playing it till you trade or sell it.

• Members
You cant write a great novel just because you bought a gold Mont Blanc fountain pen. But you could write "The Old Man and the Sea" with a pencil.

It took me a few years (and bucks) to learn that. I can honestly say I have come up with more good licks on my old Encore than I ever did with the LP.

It's old and battered so it just kicks around the house with me and is usually in my hands several hours a day so it gets like a second voice. No having to get it out of the case or worrying if I spill coffee on it. I never play the acoustics to be honest, I find it like getting on a bicycle after the Kawasaki.

I have no interest in new guitars these days but I like renovating and setting up old guitars esp old Matsumoku kit because I like the quality.

So yep, I am happy with The

Encore HSS,

Peavey Falcon,

Epi LP, and

Westone Thunderjet.

There is a Hondo 335 clone that gets the odd airing but the other 4 are all I need these days.

New guitars won't help me, it's all down to my playing and songwriting skills.... oh ****************!

What??? That's some strange logic. Having a pencil means you'll write good stories?

I know what you're trying to say but it's just ridiculous. Creativity has virtually nothing to do with the equipment used. A great writer will be a great writer regardless of what he's using. Let's say Shakespeare used a pencil to write his plays...you think if someone took that away from him and gave him a pen he would say..."nope...sorry that's it....I got nothing now"....lol....come on.

If you sold your Encore and forced yourself to play the LP and got over worrying about it....you would come up with just as many good licks.

• Members

soundcreation...I think you agree with him. He's saying it doesn't take 250 dollar pen to write a good story. You *could* do it with a 10 cent pencil. He also says that for some reason the cheaper equipment seems to inspire *him* more.

Just my take...sometimes hard to figure out just what the feck people are saying!

• Members
soundcreation...I think you agree with him. He's saying it doesn't take 250 dollar pen to write a good story. You *could* do it with a 10 cent pencil. He also says that for some reason the cheaper equipment seems to inspire *him* more.

Just my take...sometimes hard to figure out just what the feck people are saying!

I thought he meat that as the beater was always around thats what got written on?????

• Members

Steve is right on my intention.

Okay guys I should stick to one liners and not try to be prosaic, my bad.

The song is what matters and a flashy instrument won't make you write it better.

And yes knotty the beater is always kicking around so if I get a momentary idea I can catch it or work it out. By the time I would have gone upstairs, got the LP out of it's case and stroked through for tuning the idea would likely be gone. Also the constant dicking around with the beater on my lap just turns up random combinations that work,

(I am not Moses ffs, I'm just thinking out loud, not writing a thesis to be analysed word for word and dragged into poster court with :) )

• Members

I get what he's says. It may be because its a familiar instrument to him and its comfortable,

or the fact it is a beater and he's immune to the gear quality affecting his writing skills because its not what

inspires him to write music, its the music itself.

I do understand that. There have been many times where I'll pull out a low end guitar on stage and shred the thing.

Its sort of like you fight it to sound better than it actually is instead of being distracted by its feel or quality. I think that's

why allot of guys will intentionally scuff a guitar up, put worn hardware on it, sand the neck down etc. It gives them that

well worn feel that's got a few battle wounds. It would probably be better if they earned those scars though normal wear and tear,

but if it makes them feel comfortable to play better, that's all that really matters.

• Members

Can't help with a '48 D18 but Blueridge has a very good reputation as a poor man's Martin. Check them out at Maury's: http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_vs__martin. As for my own GAS, I'd really like to trade my Fernandes Strat in on a hollowbody, say an Ibanez Artcore, but I don't play electric enough to justify it to myself. A really nice acoustic, say a Breedlove, would be nice as well.

I've heard good things about Blueridge.

I also have a lead on a used guitar that I need to follow up on .

• Members

Steve is right on my intention.

Okay guys I should stick to one liners and not try to be prosaic, my bad.

The song is what matters and a flashy instrument won't make you write it better.

And yes knotty the beater is always kicking around so if I get a momentary idea I can catch it or work it out. By the time I would have gone upstairs, got the LP out of it's case and stroked through for tuning the idea would likely be gone. Also the constant dicking around with the beater on my lap just turns up random combinations that work,

(I am not Moses ffs, I'm just thinking out loud, not writing a thesis to be analysed word for word and dragged into poster court with :) )

But what I'm saying is a flashy instrument won't make you a worse writer either. You either are a good song writer or you aren't. So I don't really see the logic in even saying things like what you said.

I mean....I get the fact that you write on what you play the most.....that makes sense....but that has nothing to do with the quality of the instrument.

Maybe you should try not worrying about your Les Paul so much. It's just a guitar. Take it out and have it around for a month and case the cheap one for a while. You never know....you might like it even better.

• Members
I get what he's says. It may be because its a familiar instrument to him and its comfortable,

or the fact it is a beater and he's immune to the gear quality affecting his writing skills because its not what

inspires him to write music, its the music itself.

I do understand that. There have been many times where I'll pull out a low end guitar on stage and shred the thing.

Its sort of like you fight it to sound better than it actually is instead of being distracted by its feel or quality. I think that's

why allot of guys will intentionally scuff a guitar up, put worn hardware on it, sand the neck down etc. It gives them that

well worn feel that's got a few battle wounds. It would probably be better if they earned those scars though normal wear and tear,

but if it makes them feel comfortable to play better, that's all that really matters.

Yeah that's the Jack White logic. While I love Jack White and think he's probably the most important "rock" musician alive today......I for sure differ with him on that idea. I don't abuse any of my guitars, cheap or expensive. But I for sure play them all the same, and what I've discovered is that when you "attack" a great guitar in the same way you would "attack" a cheap one...to make it respond....the response you get from the higher quality guitars is even MORE amazing than the best you can get out of the cheaper ones.

Archived