Viewing Bodies in the EBay Graveyard

WRGKMC

• Members

Came across these botched bodies someone thought they could route and refinish.

The white one is a mess. Its likely a start copy, plywood body someone hacked up whit a chisel

trying to fit humbuckers in there, then tried to paint it with rattle cans of enamel paint. Ugh

The Red one is another botch job. Have no idea how they attempted to route it but the area where

a bridge gets mounted is nothing but tooth picks left with all the screw holes and probably wont remain in tune

after using a whammy bar.

The third one looks like someone attempted to sand through a poly finish and gave up, likely swearing these ass off.

Poly is as hard as glass and the only way you can get it off is with a heat gun or burning out a sander. He should have

left it alone because the back side of the body looked great with a nice red finish.

All of them are being sold for $1 and no bidders. If they had been left intact they would likely pull in $100 or more.

As is, they invested all kinds of time and effort and possibly $50 in paint and sand paper and made them completely worthless.

I've bought allot of botched bodies that can be revived from the graveyard and build a FrankenGuit but some of them are quite beyond hope.

d79a34da24629856d3aca08cf03c82d4.thumb.jpg.bf1c942e438d4d6b651016181a296ae9.jpg

79066682e41d9e4d0b8d13ed4473af58.thumb.jpg.1d40fc69a14275c5d684d8ce88b6449d.jpg

42c70c3f21880ed7b24f764950d7f01a.thumb.jpg.083f1f11a800f562486563c273547404.jpg

• Members

For the red one, try drilling the screw holes out to slightly smaller than a hardwood dowel diameter. Dowel should be a tight interference fit; ie tap in with hammer. Slather both hole and dowel peg with fibered epoxy. Do one hole at a time and clean up. Epoxy is tough to clean up when it is dry. Wait a 7 to 10 days before drilling new holes.

I did a strat body with multiple bridge mount holes and it now holds 14-58 with no problems

• Members

I usually use epoxy putty for that kind of stuff when I can. Having a flat surface under the whammy

so it returns to pitch is an important item. Of course if its a Floyd type with dual pins it wouldn't matter much because

it isn't sitting on the body. Any filling would simply be cosmetic.

I had one guitar body where a guy tried to make a Strat body it into a bass guitar and cut a pickup hole between the bridge and Tail.

I first tried to fill that hole in with Plastic wood. It began to shrink after I had painted the body.

I also tried a piece of wood glued in and since the wood type was different it would shrink differently than the rest of the body and developed cracks.

Last thing I used was epoxy putty. Worked like a champ. It does take lacquer nicely and its been about 7 years with no

shrinkage so far. Allot easier than trying to get a wood block to fit too.

• Members

I'd just buy THIS and strip it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SX-LEO-3TS-Electric-Guitar-with-1-Piece-American-Swamp-Ash-Body-1-Piece-Neck-/371050690751

Sell the neck, loaded pick guard and hardware on Ebay....I bet you'd recoup $80 or so easy.

Then you'd have a perfect one piece swamp ash body totally unmolested and perfectly finished. With less work and probably the same cash outlay counting finishing and repair costs.

Sometimes a dollar is too expensive...especially when you add shipping costs.

• Members

Why strip it, it looks great as it is. If anything play the hell out of it and when the frets wear, just get a Fender neck for it instead of replacing them in the stock neck. Then you can sell the stock neck to recoup the cost of the Fender neck.

• Members
Why strip it' date=' it looks great as it is. If anything play the hell out of it and when the frets wear, just get a Fender neck for it instead of replacing them in the stock neck. Then you can sell the stock neck to recoup the cost of the Fender neck.[/quote']

Sounds like a bit of work...like stock market or real estate type work.

Archived