Sapele, Birdseye, and Gold MOP ... Lap Steels Rule!!

Quarter

• Members

Glad to see HC starting to come back around. I did not really post much during the "dark" period because, well ... the state of the forums was just too painful. In the hopes of seeing more and funner content in the days ahead, here is a fun one I finished up recently and I thought I might share.

I had a request to build a 8 string version of my Art Deco styled steel, so I dug through my stash and found some nice birdseye and enough of this sweet figured sapele to do one.

She is 25" scale, gold mother of pearl fret and position markers, and a Dusenberg multibender. The pickups are some custom wind BG-Pups from Bryan and they sound great.

d-005-25.jpg

d-005-24.jpg

d-005-26.jpg

d-005-34.jpg

• Members

Thanks All!

I'll give you $50 for that guitar right now.

LoL ... Sure, but be aware, the shipping is pretty steep ;)

Because threads with more of pics are always better ... here are a couple more. Head stock, "mini" 2 string companion bridge, and the raw lumber.

d-005-35.jpg

d-005-36.jpg

sapele-birdseye-1.jpg

• Members

Thanks again All! :)

... out of curiosity' date=' what are you asking for it?[/quote']

Actually it was a custom build for a client and not for sale. My goal was not for this to be a spam thread. With that said, it was not cheap. Those bridges alone start at around $600 if you source them through Dusenberg USA, though I've been importing them strait out of Germany for considerably less.

... Is the main bridge a Duesenberg?

Yes, and they are great little units for sure. It comes with 2 levers and you can add as many as you like. They can be setup to either raise or lower a single string.

... the companion bridge with the Multi-Bender is a thing of genius' date=' I've not seen that before. [/quote']

More like a stroke of luck really. In a fleeting moment of clarity, it was the simple solution that won out.

• Members

You are all too kind :) ... Its easy to make them look good when you are playing with some of natures best

... Is the covered pup an SC?

Yes, it is based around Bryans Rockwind Tele neck pup and sounds great. The humbucker is based around a Hotrod prototype Bryan did a while back that I love. It uses rod magnets for pole pieces and also has a bar magnet inside. I set it up with 4 way rotary switching where you have the "typical" bridge, bridge / neck, and neck positions and then one set up where one coil of the humbucker and the neck coil are wired together in a humbucking configuration.

Currently the owner Lonnie Bennett is out on the road with the Slide Brothers so hopefully there should be some video to come soon. Last Monday they opened for Buddy Guy in Ithaca and their next stop is House Of Blues in New Orleans on 5-3.

• Members
You are all too kind :) ... Its easy to make them look good when you are playing with some of natures best

Yes, it is based around Bryans Rockwind Tele neck pup and sounds great. The humbucker is based around a Hotrod prototype Bryan did a while back that I love. It uses rod magnets for pole pieces and also has a bar magnet inside. I set it up with 4 way rotary switching where you have the "typical" bridge, bridge / neck, and neck positions and then one set up where one coil of the humbucker and the neck coil are wired together in a humbucking configuration.

Currently the owner Lonnie Bennett is out on the road with the Slide Brothers so hopefully there should be some video to come soon. Last Monday they opened for Buddy Guy in Ithaca and their next stop is House Of Blues in New Orleans on 5-3.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a cool wiring config, and I love Bryans pups!

Archived