Crazy Idea ?

gardo

• Members

Splitting Humbuckers is nothing new but what if instead of 2 coil / 1 coil , the second coil was sent through a separately controlled pot . This way it could be taken out completely or partially..

Humbucker, single coil or somewhere in between. Would this only suck out all the volume or could it actually work?

• Members
Splitting Humbuckers is nothing new but what if instead of 2 coil / 1 coil , the second coil was sent through a separately controlled pot . This way it could be taken out completely or partially..

Humbucker, single coil or somewhere in between. Would this only suck out all the volume or could it actually work?

Somebody already does this. I think it is one of the washburn pro models. (From a not very good memory).

• Members

I do that on my Plexiglas Flying V. Since the guitar has three pots, and I don't use tone,

I use the single tone knob for tapping either pickup to ground.

The pickups I put on there are very hot so I connect a ground to the center of the tone Pot,

then connect the tap from each pickup to the outside legs of the pot.

If I turn the pot fully in one direction I get the one pickup to fully tap and run as a single coil.

Then turning the pot the other direction, I get the other pickup to run a single coil.

I can keep the pot in the middle and have half taps on both or vary whatever any percentages I want.

then with the other two volumes I have all kinds of tones happening.

I could use a dual pole single shaft pot as well and have the two pickups completely separated.

I could even add a switch to have them both coil tap when the pot is turned in one direction or keep it as an either or like I have now.

I've also used caps on the pots in combination with the variable coil taps to act as a high or low pass filter.

You really want to get nuts try a high pass on one coil and a low pass on the other. You could then vary the one pot from no bass

and all treble to the other coil with all bass no treble. Its essentially a treble/bass booster.

Adjusted center you have half of both which sounds normal.

You can wire it so one coil is full frequency and the other has a tone caps that makes the one coil darker,

or use the cap in series with the one coil to act as a high pass filter and to remove bass frequencies only.

There is an amazing number of things you can do with just a single pot. Many of them only cost a buck or to

for some caps and resistors. Get a 1 henry coil, and a cap and you can make a one band passive EQ that

will boost or cut a narrow selected frequency like mids at 3K and leave your treble and bass alone.

You can look up Gibsons Varitone circuit and select one of the caps from there and just use it and the 1 coil and you're cookin.

Its all cool stuff and simple to do but you don't seem to find it on many forums.

Those miniature active circuits are fun as all get out. I have one Strat I stick where a 5 level distortion circuits in there.

Its cool for when I'm traveling light or do an open mic night. I can plug into an amp with no effects and still melt the skin off some faces

with the flick of the knob.

All of these are less than $20. Many can be had for $5 if you shop around. The micro circuits are such low power consumption a

9 volt battery will last for years. I had one guitar I left plugged in by mistake for 3 weeks and the battery was still working strong.

Some cool stuff too, you can get from a passive circuit only.

http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/index.html

• Members

I did an experiment today.. I found a 500k audio pot in my parts drawer and hooked up a form of a spin-a-split,it has promise..Now were to mount it on a semi hollow body?

I may end up with a thumb wheel under the pickguard

Archived