Hot or Not

gardo

• Members

fkv3je_image1_copy.png

I was browsing guitar sites and happened to find this one. Here is the description from their website

Designed in conjunction with the highly respected and often emulated jazz/rock supremo himself, the ’JE' has an impressive specification.

John is held in high regard as one of the top guitarists in the world. In a career of decades he has worked work with the likes of Stephane Grappelli, John Williams, Dizzy Gillespie, Yehudi Menhuin, Nigel Kennedy and of course legendary jazz/rock fusion group The Soft Machine.

Not just another great guitarist, John is a master of the instrument and he knows how to use it to best effect in an enormous range of settings. He is fast, a great chord man, inventive but subtle, as good with a pick as finger style, as at home on acoustic as on electric guitar. John needs a guitar that can offer a wide variety of tones and a huge range of styles.

Carved from a solid mahogany blank, the Elise ‘JE’ body features an offset heel and lower horn scoop for enhanced upper fret access. Acoustically tuned chambers, a full length centre block and a double carved solid maple cap create a light, vibrant semi-acoustic body. This, combined with the Fret-King long-tenon neck joint, mated precisely to the body under the neck pickup, maximises the retention and transmission of the Elise’s fundamental acoustic properties.

The ebony fingerboard with 45mm nut width and traditional block inlays provides a supremely positive playing feel, whilst the elegant retro-styled ebony tailpiece with stagger drilled through body stringing further enhances the Elise’s inherent tonality, and provides perfectly balanced playing tension.

Two Wilkinson WVC double coil pickups give the Elise the authenticity, definition and power required for everything from mellow jazz to full-bore blues. The addition of the Fret-King ‘Vari-coil™’ allows you to wind the WVC pickups down to single coil progressively, opening up a whole raft of useable tones.

Finished in an attractive honey with pinstripe binding and an ebony Fret-King ‘signature’ pick guard, the JE looks just as good as it sounds.

• Members
I'd like it with either a spruce or flame maple top instead of that plywood looking stuff. Other than that I like it.

I agree that it does look like plywood although they say it's a double carved solid maple cap.

If that guitar plays anything like I imagine it would I love it.

Ive always been curious about the Vari-coil .

• Members

I agree that it does look like plywood although they say it's a double carved solid maple cap.

If that guitar plays anything like I imagine it would I love it.

Ive always been curious about the Vari-coil .

Why put all that work into such a plain piece of slab cut maple? Looks like they bought it from Home Depot out of the bargain bin or maybe salvaged a table top from IKEA. I love everything else about the guitar, though.

• Members

Just did some browsing and found John Etheridge's demo of the guitar. I think it looks even nicer in the vid. I've always said I'm going to buy an ES-339 at some point but maybe I should buy one of these instead. It's considerably cheaper, looks good, has a larger tone palette available and sounds great. Not sure where I can get to try one - my nearest guitar store (GAK) doesn't seem to stock 'em. Might have to take a trip into London.

Archived