String ball end stuck in trem block

DeepEnd

• Members

Earlier this evening I was changing the strings on my Fernandes Strat when two of the ball ends got stuck in the trem block. Fortunately, I was able to push them out with a straightened paper clip but a Google search revealed that this is not that unusual. Has this ever happened to any of you guys and if so how often and just how common is it? What's the solution? I thought of taking a drill and enlarging the holes in the block but that seems extreme. Then again, the string hole in the bridge on my bass is too small for the E string so who knows?

• Members

This is another of those "What else should go the way of XP?" things.

It is very common and you will develop a top attack and underside attack tool of choice like the rest of us. I try to get a jewellers driver in the groove round the ball and rock/pry while pushing the string down from the top. Greasing them on installation might help but I have never tried it

• Members
Yes, it happens.

Take a nail and push it out.

Call me next time your lightbulb burns out for instructions as to how to fix.

Hilarious. Reminds me of another one:

A man went to see the doctor and, raising his arm over his head, said, "Hey, Doc, it hurts when I do this."

The doctor replied, "Well, don't do that!"

What I was hoping to find was if anyone has found a way to keep it from happening in the first place: Drill out the holes? Squirt graphite in the holes when changing strings? Find strings with smaller ball ends? Apparently there's no better solution than "Take a nail and push it out," which is the equivalent of "Well, don't do that!" You answered my question without intending to do more than add a bit of totally unnecessary snark. Thanks for that. I think I might try the graphite idea on principle. I figure it can't hurt. As for not tightening my strings so much, we're talking about .009's at concert pitch, which means minimal tension.

• Members
I keep the cut off end of the low E string in my strat case and use it to push the end out of the bridge block when needed

All jokes aside...correct answer. OP...there's no way to prevent this. There is a LOT of tension on those strings and they just get stuck. I would think you could appreciate that bond for increased tone and sustain. sm-popcorm

Just use and old e string to push it back through. And hopefully this is the most of your world problems!

• Members

Hilarious. Reminds me of another one:

A man went to see the doctor and, raising his arm over his head, said, "Hey, Doc, it hurts when I do this."

The doctor replied, "Well, don't do that!"

What I was hoping to find was if anyone has found a way to keep it from happening in the first place: Drill out the holes? Squirt graphite in the holes when changing strings? Find strings with smaller ball ends? Apparently there's no better solution than "Take a nail and push it out," which is the equivalent of "Well, don't do that!" You answered my question without intending to do more than add a bit of totally unnecessary snark. Thanks for that. I think I might try the graphite idea on principle. I figure it can't hurt. As for not tightening my strings so much, we're talking about .009's at concert pitch, which means minimal tension.

There's still a {censored} ton of tension. Sometimes it can suck to be your own tech. They have to do things like take the truss rod cover off, solder new pickup selector switches...and they even have to push the ball end through with a nail. Sucks...but it is what it is!. ; )

• Members
Don't tighten your strings so tight.

Of couse you know I was joking. We all know you tune to pitch and string tension is relative. In my mind I was watching someone tell their bandmates "Can we tune down a step? I don't want to get my balls stuck in my tremolo block."

Seriously, try some Fender Super Bullets. They were designed specifically for the Stratocaster to eliminate the condition you have encountered. The ends are shaped like bullets and do not wedge and stick in the tremolo block. IMO they sound better too, due to better contact between the string end and the tremolo block and I've never had one stick during a string change.

• Members

OK here's the deal. Very few Strat copies use blocks that are on par with Fender USA. The Zinc blocks found on many, including many MIMs, is a softer material and the ball ends can embed in them and become very difficult to remove. (This can lead to tuning problems down the line as divots form within the cylinder from sticking ball ends) Fender USA trems and after-market upgrade trems are made of steel alloys, brass or aluminum and are hard enough to prevent this type of sticking from occurring. I replace the zinc variety in my MIMs for this reason as well as what I consider a better tonal response. The only other alternative (to avoid this situation) is to use the Fender bullet strings - I've never heard of those sticking in any trem block.

• Members

Of couse you know I was joking. We all know you tune to pitch and string tension is relative. In my mind I was watching someone tell their bandmates "Can we tune down a step? I don't want to get my balls stuck in my tremolo block."

Seriously, try some Fender Super Bullets. They were designed specifically for the Stratocaster to eliminate the condition you have encountered. The ends are shaped like bullets and do not wedge and stick in the tremolo block. IMO they sound better too, due to better contact between the string end and the tremolo block and I've never had one stick during a string change.

Oh contrair Mon Frer...I quit using Bullets for precisely the reason this thread started. I'd bought a dozen sets of them at once and before I'd gone through them all I was carrying a small finishing nail punch to get those suckers out, it was happening with such frequency.

Archived