Fender and MLB

JRicoC

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Just think of it like cricket but a billion times more interesting...

Anyway....greatest game ever invented...but that's just cheesy to me.

I am not knocking it. I just dont get it. There was a league over here years back. Low level park stuff. I watched a few times but didnt get it.

Its just interesting how something can be so massve on one side of the pond and virtually invisible on the other. Its gets played here as kids but thats about it.

I agree about cricket, painting a ceiling is more interesting.

• Members

I am not knocking it. I just dont get it. There was a league over here years back. Low level park stuff. I watched a few times but didnt get it.

Its just interesting how something can be so massve on one side of the pond and virtually invisible on the other. Its gets played here as kids but thats about it.

I agree about cricket, painting a ceiling is more interesting.

It is a difficult game to appreciate if you don't know it. I'll admit that. When you grow up with it though...or take the time to learn it...it reveals so many complexities, and strategies, but in a completely elegant way. Not like American football which feels like a sport with "thrown together" rules as it went along. (And I do appreciate NFL as well....it's just not as cleverly designed).

But baseball doesn't catch the public's attention the way it once used to. They are constantly worried about it being "too slow"....and it is compared to the other pro sports it competes with....but speed is not the point. Personally I think it's the modern lack of a decent attention span that's to blame....not baseball itself. If people don't have the patience for it that's their problem. I suppose cricket fans would say the same thing to me!...haha...

Baseball is like a great movie...or better yet...like a great TV series like say...Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, or The Wire....it requires commitment from the audience, and it reveals itself slowly. But if you do commit to it...the payoff is just amazing.

I also love it cause it's the only major team sport where there is no "running out the clock"....(I guess cricket is like that too)....the game ends on the skill of the players.

Having said that.....just like ANY sport...there can be some dreadfully boring games at times....

• Members

Also, part of the excitement of baseball is sharing it in the company of other knowledgeable fans. This is why it's a lot more fun to sit in a stadium with 35,000 others who cheer appropriately vs. seeing a well played game on a sandlot somewhere (which is really only for diehards like myself). That is true for most sports, but moreso for baseball, with it's tremendous depth and nuance (noted above). It's a sophisticated and intricate game.

Of course, America these days abhors anything thoughtful, so repulsive imbecility like UFC gets ratings where a beautiful and strategic gem like baseball sinks a bit in popularity.

The Red Sox Strat is so fine ....

• Members
Considering how many players in the show come from Latin America' date=' MIM makes as much sense as anything.[/quote']

How many Mexican-born players are currently on MLB rosters? Five? Three? Whatever that number is it's much less than the number of current players born in the US or Japan ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
... I'd like to buy it from the SF Giants store or stadium instead of ordering directly from Fender. It's pretty steep price for an MIM standard strat with just a custom paint job' date=' but I love my Giants![/quote']

I'm not a Strat guy, so I don't know what an unadorned model would cost, but the posted $800 link was at the shop.mlb.com site. So it's probably the same price wherever you pick it up ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

~~Just got the SF Giants MLB Strat. Very nice. Smooth Frets, nice set up/action. Pickups are the same I believe as on a standard MIM Strat, ceramic. I love gaudy guitars and I love my hometown boys the Giants. I am very happy right now even though the price was probably more than it's worth. Didn't care, had to have it.

To show you where my head is at I also own the Wayne Kramer Strat, Buck Owens Teles, a Playboy Centerfold guitar, Jenna Jameson Flying V with her licking the guitar, Powerpuff Girls guitar, Buddy Guy Polka Dot. Sold my Paisley Strat and Tele :( thinking of buying the Tele again if I see it on CL.

Anyway, I actually play most of these guitars, because that's fun for me. GO GIANTS!

Sorry about pics, I tried to upload and it said file too big. I don't know how to resize but maybe I'll put my selfie in my Avatar.

• Members
... Sorry about pics, I tried to upload and it said file too big. I don't know how to resize but maybe I'll put my selfie in my Avatar.

That's the spirit! You could try uploading to Photobucket or a cloud service. I'd love to see some pics ...

• Members

The Latin American baseball stars mostly come from the Dominican and Haiti.

Dominican Republic, yes. Haiti, no. I don't believe there has been a Haitian MLB player. Venezuela, Cuba, Panama, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Curacao,Nicaragua and even Aruba have all produced major league players.

Archived