Good practice/jam tool

chimi

• Members

Guys,

I am looking for a nice practice tool for me to be able to jam with. I missed out on the Boss Eband blowout at Best buy for $99 and am kicking myself for it.

I would like something that's easy to use with the ability to remove the guitar from the mp3 for jamming purposes, and if at all possible some kind of jam tracks. I had the Vox jamvox and wasn't too impressed with it. The boss eband looks great, but was wondering what else was out there.

• Members

^^^I agree. A DAW program would be my first choice over some crappy toy.

A DAW or audio Editor program will allow you to use "vocal eliminator" type plugins that let you block

parts being played in a song using phase cancellation. I have several of those plugins on my DAW and they

work fairly well. You do have to tune their frequencies depending on the song that's being played back.

The cool part is you can load all your music on a computer or laptop and jam to any song you want.

I don't run Audacity myself. I prefer Sonar and Cubase. I'm not sure if you can run that program using a standard

windows card. Most DAW programs require a card or interface that uses ASIO drivers for super low latency.

You can pick up interfaces as low as $10~$20 but its usually better to get something in the $50 and up range.

If you get something like the Lexicon Omega you can plug the guitar into it and jam through your computer instead of an amp,

and you mix yourself in with the music being played back as though you were a player on that recording. You can even use your guitar

pedals before it to get your drive and effects set.

Sites like KVR have thousands of free VST plugins. You don't have to pay a dime on software. Just having a low latency interface

with two in and two out will get the job done.

• Members

You might want to consider getting a used Fender G-DEC 3 30 combo amp. I have one and seriously love it for practice / jamming.

It's a pretty good little modeling amp, but it's got a secret weapon: it also has a ton of built-in backing tracks (with associated custom guitar tones) that you can jam along with, and also an SD card slot that allows you to load dozens/hundreds/thousands of other backing tracks. You can associate a particular backing track with a particular guitar tone and save them together as one of 100 user presets. It's dead simple to use once you get the hang of it.

It sounds pretty good as is, but a) taking the back off, and/or b) a simple speaker upgrade (Ragin Cajun, Copperhead, etc) really makes it shine.

It comes in the Standard, Metal and Classic variants, each with its own set of backing tracks/tones/amp models/etc. But a very cool feature is that you can download the free "personality modules" of the variants and re-flash your own to another one. I have the Standard version, but I flashed it to the Classic version in 5 minutes, simple as pie.

Here's one on ebay that ends tomorrow that's currently $95 with $25 shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

http://www.musicradar.com/us/reviews...tar-amp-257194

Straight out of the box, you're just a twist of the large Encoder knob away from being able to jam along with a range of backing tracks, and there's enough variety to suit players of almost any persuasion.

Not only is each backing track matched to an appropriate preset guitar tone – although you can change it if you want to – but it can also be set up to loop perpetually. This means that you can carry on trying to perfect that tricky lick over and over again without having to reach for the amp controls and risk breaking your concentration – a nice touch.

As a practice tool, G-DEC 3 is undoubtedly impressive, but you might be forgiven for assuming that the closed-back combo's 10-inch driver and a power rating of 30 solid-state watts confine it to the domestic environment only, even in this, the larger of its two incarnations. However, stereo jack line-outs mean that hooking the amp up to a PA system and getting a satisfying stereo spread is simple. If you don't need to compete with a loud drummer, the 30-watt GDEC 3 is a viable gigging option for smaller stages.

The onboard SD flash memory card reader allows you to save and recall a potentially limitless library of customised sounds and backing tracks via Fender's FUSE software and online community. As a result, this might just be the ultimate do-it-all solution for the many one-man-band guys on the live circuit who sing and play along with backing tracks.

Light the fuse

Fender's FUSE software is the key to G-DEC 3's massive versatility. Simply hook up the amp to your computer via USB, install the software and begin tweaking amp model and effects parameters. The software also allows for effects combinations that are impossible to achieve via G-DEC 3's control panel, such as putting modulation and delay 'in front' of the amp in the signal chain.

Once you've sculpted your sound, which is a simple task for anyone who has used an amp modelling software package, you can save it in one of 100 slots in the amp's onboard memory or store many as you like on an SD card. Then the real interactivity starts. Register at fuse.fender.com to join the community and swap sounds and backing tracks with hundreds of guitarists across the globe.

With the rhythm section for a whole live set saved on an SD card, you only need your guitar and the G-DEC 3 and you're set to plug into the PA and go. The only downside is not being able to blame the bassist for bum notes.

Importantly, the front panel's 'band level' control allows you to tweak the level of your backing track relative to your guitar sound. Even when working with the backing tracks that come pre-loaded at the factory, fine tuning of the band level is required on a track-by-track basis as you'll find that some of the guitar tones cut through the mix more than others, while the perceived overall level of the backing tracks varies.

Thanks in no small part to the high-frequency tweeter that accompanies the amplifier's regular 10-inch speaker, reproduction of the backing tracks without a PA is bright and three-dimensional with an impressively rounded, firm bottom-end. But what's really interesting is just how well the onboard guitar tones work in the context of a full band mix. This is a welcome reminder that context is everything; sounds that raise eyebrows in isolation can work perfectly when the backing track is rocking away.

Detailed analysis of G-DEC 3's individual modelled amp tones is largely irrelevant due to the sheer amount of tone-shaping that the FUSE software offers. If you don't like it, you can tweak it. No, it's never going to sound exactly like an original '65 Deluxe Reverb, but to split hairs over authenticity is to miss the point; this is an amp about fun and functionality.

Our only real gripe is that to get the most out of G-DEC 3 in performance, whether that's using the phrase sampler, playing onstage, or jamming in a garage with friends, you need to pay extra for the UTL-4 footswitch (£42.39). Otherwise, G-DEC 3 is solidly built, with an easy-to-understand, clearly laid-out set of controls. As a result, the learning curve is gentle, but there's more than enough depth and flexibility available should it be required. Anything that makes practising this enjoyable is a winner in our book.

• Members
You might want to consider getting a used Fender G-DEC 3 30 combo amp. I have one and seriously love it for practice / jamming.

It's a pretty good little modeling amp, but it's got a secret weapon: it also has a ton of built-in backing tracks (with associated custom guitar tones) that you can jam along with, and also an SD card slot that allows you to load dozens/hundreds/thousands of other backing tracks. You can associate a particular backing track with a particular guitar tone and save them together as one of 100 user presets. It's dead simple to use once you get the hang of it.

It sounds pretty good as is, but a) taking the back off, and/or b) a simple speaker upgrade (Ragin Cajun, Copperhead, etc) really makes it shine.

It comes in the Standard, Metal and Classic variants, each with its own set of backing tracks/tones/amp models/etc. But a very cool feature is that you can download the free "personality modules" of the variants and re-flash your own to another one. I have the Standard version, but I flashed it to the Classic version in 5 minutes, simple as pie.

Here's one on ebay that ends tomorrow that's currently $95 with $25 shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

http://www.musicradar.com/us/reviews...tar-amp-257194

Thanks! That seems like a great option. I will have to do a bit more research on it. but this is certainly the kind of thing i was looking for

• Members
By the way gdsmithtx can you expand a bit more on the personality modules and re-flashing them? I'm not sure i follow. Also how many backing tracks are we talking?

Not a problem, though after examining the auction I linked to, I discovered that the guy had mislabeled an older original GDEC 30 (which you do NOT want). After it was pointed out to him, he ended the auction and relisted it correctly. There are others available there.

Anyway, the GDEC 3 30 originally came in the Standard model, in common Fender blackface form. It included a mix of blues, modern rock, classic rock, metal, country, etc. backing tracks and associated guitar tones built in. When I bought it, I liked it, but sat about customizing it pretty quickly because there were too many aggressive, high gain settings for my taste.

Later, Fender brought out three customized models of the GDec 3 30: the Metal model, the Country model and the Blues model, each with its own special look (the Metal one was grey and white camo, the Country one had this gorgeous antique brown embossed leather look with a golden grill cover ... I want one of those real bad, and the Blues one had nice blonde Tolex and a dark brown grill cover). But aside from the exterior, the guts are exactly the same. The only differences are pretty much the selection of tones/amp models available and the backing tracks loaded. These are all stored in a small internal storage drive in the amp and make up the “personality” of the amp.

Fender has thankfully made the various personality settings of the variants available for free download on their site. You can, therefore, download the “personality” module of another GDEC variant and, loading in on an SD card and placing it in the GDEC’s card slot, and use a selection from the menu to load the new “personality”. Standard can become Metal, or Country, etc. In addition, you can easily save your amp’s current settings into your own “personality” file, so you can try out a new one and still be able to go back. That way, if I find one of the Country models, I can transfer my current amp’s settings to it in just a few minutes.

When these personalities came out, I converted my Standard model to the Blues model and was extremely happy with the bluesy amp models and presets included. I also downloaded many, many backing tracks from various web sources including guitarbackingtrack.com & bluesblast.com, then loaded them onto an SD card and put that in the GDEC’s slot. Now I have hundreds of backing tracks loaded right into my amp.

From the amp’s menu, I can load a backing track, adjust the guitar tone just right, then save it as a user preset. Doing this I have scores of my own presets on my GDEC 3: One Way Out, Blue Jean Blues, Stormy Monday, Riviera Paradise, Tore Down, Autumn Leaves, All Right Now, Crossroads, Sweet Little Angel, etc. I just select the preset from the selector knob and press Play. Boom … instant full band jam session in whatever style/song I want in like 5 seconds!

This amp truly is the ultimate jam / practice tool I’ve ever come across and it’s a shame they were discontinued by Fender. As I said, its sound benefits from just taking the back off, but to a much greater extent from a speaker upgrade. It gets louder, clearer and has better bottom end. I use the really punchy Ragin Cajun, but even inexpensive speakers like the Jensen Mod 10 make it sound frickin’ great!

If they were to combine its capabilities with something like the Mustang III or the semi-tube Super Champ X2, it would knock a lot of socks off.

• Members
So just to make sure i don't want the Gdec 30? I want the 3 30? Is there a way to tell the difference on just looks?

​Yeah, just look at the front panel. On the left side, the G-DEC 3 will have "G-DEC" and a white arrowhead with a "3" over it, like in this one:

Fender+G-DEC+3+Thirty+Country_1294332688.jpg

• Members
^^^I agree. A DAW program would be my first choice over some crappy toy.

Same here. I use Garageband with a cheap Focusrite Scarlett interface, but any DAW will do. Also use gAssistant but there are other slow-downers out there that are just as good.

[edit]: If you're going to buy an interface, a 2i/2o is OK, but I'd recommend 4 out if you can spend a little extra. That way you've got a Left and Right for stereo output, plus another for a click track / cue to send to monitors.

• Members

What I used for a long time was one of those cheaper Yamaha Keyboards that had auto accompaniment.

You use one touch chord pattern changes and record those patterns within the keyboard or on a recorder.

Some of the patters are actually pretty cool to jam to. You had about 100 Preset patterns and could even build your own.

Since it covered just about all genres you didn't lack for playing styles. Using the one touch made it easy to build

any song you wanted following the chord changes of a cover tune or your own. The things even have drum fills

you can add in or change song types all together, or you can just use their built in drum machines to play along with.

You can pick up these kind of Yamaha and Casio keyboards used very cheap. Most all newer ones have built in midi

which is a whole other thing you can get involved with. There are thousands of free midi recordings out there and it doesn't

take allot of work to get a keyboard connected and play midi files on the computer or the keyboard. The cool part about midi

is you can remove any voices you want. If there's a midi part for vocals or guitar, you can mute them and jam along adding your own parts.

• Members
What I used for a long time was one of those cheaper Yamaha Keyboards that had auto accompaniment.

You use one touch chord pattern changes and record those patterns within the keyboard or on a recorder.

Some of the patters are actually pretty cool to jam to. You had about 100 Preset patterns and could even build your own.

Since it covered just about all genres you didn't lack for playing styles. Using the one touch made it easy to build

any song you wanted following the chord changes of a cover tune or your own. The things even have drum fills

you can add in or change song types all together, or you can just use their built in drum machines to play along with.

You can pick up these kind of Yamaha and Casio keyboards used very cheap. Most all newer ones have built in midi

which is a whole other thing you can get involved with. There are thousands of free midi recordings out there and it doesn't

take allot of work to get a keyboard connected and play midi files on the computer or the keyboard. The cool part about midi

is you can remove any voices you want. If there's a midi part for vocals or guitar, you can mute them and jam along adding your own parts.

Hey! you've been spying on me haven't you.

• Members
Hey! you've been spying on me haven't you.

Not unless you started using one prior to 1990. I bought one of those early Casiotone keyboards back then.

Before that I used all kinds of early drums machines for recording dating back to about 1976 when I used my

buddys guitar that had a drum machine built into it. I believe it was some kind of import for Japan. It might have

been a Unixox or Guyatone guitar, possibly a strat type with a built in drum machine. I remember it had volume knobs

for the snare, kick, high hat and ride, but its been 40 years. We had a 4 track and used the drum machine to record songs.

He had one of those Fender Oil Can reverbs that gave incredibly cool echoes too.

Organs had beat boxes, but not normal keyboards. Moogs were the latest thing.

Midi wasn't even around yet, nor personal computers so just about everything was analog.

• Members

I got my first Yamaha Midii back in the late 1980's .I used it for a while then forgot about it when I discovered backing tracks . Now that I have a DAW the backing tracks seem boring so I got the keyboard back out again. and am doing my own backing. at home.

Still nothing better then jamming with friends though.

• Members

^^ True, True.

Using some kind of beat machine weather its as simple as a metronome or backing tracks

will keep your chops in shape. working with others invites the unexpected both good and bad.

A wise musician once told me. Playing by yourself is like making love to yourself.

Playing live is about as close to making love to others as it can get.

I'm not quite sure I'd describe it in those terms. There are many kinds of love and passion

but his statement did have merit. Good bands do tend to have a good time hamming it up

and strutting their stuff.

I can say I wouldn't trade my touring experience playing live for anything. I'm old enough no to

know that experience contained the worst of times and the best of times. So often when we are younger

we tend to block out the bad times and only remember the good. Its probably why so many musicians quit

playing live because many of those bad memories of hell holes they played in during their quest begin to resurface.

Then they ask themselves the age old question, is this all there is to life?

If they do survive they may come to the realization they are entertainers. They bring the joy through their music with them.

It doesn't matter if its the worst dive on earth or the grandest stage ever. They aren't there as one in the audience to experience

others they are the experience for others, and in order to do that they have to be in good physical and mental shape.

and when things don't go well, the show does go on.

Working out to some beat box is only the beginning. Its no different than some baseball player going into a box and have a machine

shoot balls at him to practice making hits or a football player practicing his throws. A beat box forces you along to keep up to the tempo.

Eventually you stop micro managing each and every individual note and command your hands to do an entire riff and they do them automatically

and effortlessly. from then you can walk and chew gum while juggling at the same time and still have enough attention left over to wink at the hot

chick in the front row.

As a musician you can play the notes, stomp on effects sing lead, move around on stage and still have enough left over to

pay attention to the audience to entertain them both with your music and your attention to them beyond the music.

It takes allot of work to get there but the payoff makes you feel like a king. problem is you have to constantly maintain that edge.

Its something you have to incorporate into your life permanently. if you don't have the self discipline to get back to basics and work out

then you wont have self discipline live and that usually results in leaning on others. A band does work together one guys having a bad day.

When it becomes habitual it drags others down and if they are wise they will let you know or let you go.

Archived