Trading an MIM strat for a damaged gibson

yooser Nayme

• Members
Hey guys, i have a standard strat up for sale locally, but a friend of mine has a gibson les paul voodoo that he wants to trade me. the guitar is freaking awesome looking IMO and worth alot more than my strat, but here is the thing, a while back at a gig the headstock broke off. the guitar has been not so professionaly repaired and has 2 bolts where the headstock meets the neck now to keep it from breaking off again. its a pretty clean job but the back has never been finished over again. thing is, would this be an awesome trade on my end? or do you think i would regret it being that the voodoo is in the condition that it is in?

i am pretty handy with guitar repair and know several guitar repair guys so would it be worth while to make the trade and repair it? would it retain nearly its original value? 

the guitar still plays very effectively and is in perfect playing condition and the action is low. i am mainly worrying about future problems it may have. and the back does not look so hot 

i can post pics up of the guitar and the headstock if it can help you guys determine.

• Members

Definitely post pics if you've got em. Anything with bolts holding it together sounds bad to me. I had a guitar (Hamer) with a pro headstock repair that has continued to hold on. By having the repair, the guitar is typically worth 40-60% of what's normal, and that's if it's a good repair.

• Members

It sounds like you are concerned about resale value. As for yourself, you should do the trade if the Gibson sounds, looks, and plays better, and if you think you will bond more with it.

This is assuming the damage isn't unsightly, and there aren't tuning issues.

• Members

Actually, the bolts would probably scare me away.  Doesn't sound like a professional job, or at least it's an uncommonly bad break.  When it comes to MIMs, I come close to agreeing with Scott Grove who says they are as good as the very best.  I had one that was a dud, but I currently have two (modded) that rank with my 89 American in my book.

• Members

I do repair work including a fair number of broken headstocks (many on gibsons).   Done correctly it shouldn't affect playability, sound or value (much).    Done incorrectly it will only give you problems and in my opinion, reduces the value to almost nothing.   Unfortunately with a set neck you can't easily replace the neck.

Sometimes with severe headstock breaks the repair person will either laminate a back plate to reinforce it (sometimes with a new head plate too) or sometimes will route two small channels in the back of the neck and install carbon fiber reinforcements.    Both ruins the originality of the guitar but would be much better than bolts.  Obviously both require refinishing that portion of the neck.

Post a picture and we can comment, but without a pic I would say run from it.

• Members

okay well i was a little sketched out by the repair as well and i voiced my concerns to the seller. he has given me an alternative to just buy the thing from him for 200. im sure he is cutting me what he thinks is a deal because he has it for sale for 500 but we know eachother well. at $200 i will definitely go down there and check it out and see if it feels good. at that price i think even if it ends up being an aweful buy in the future i could still break even if i parted it out. 

i typically am not worried about resale value, only if i feel that there may be problems with the guitar in the future that do not work out for me. 

what do you guys think about that? 

Archived