No announcement yet.

New guitar love: Michael Kelly Patriots

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar love: Michael Kelly Patriots

I picked up a satin vintage with P-90s in a trade for a Schecter S-1.  Wow, what a nice Les Paul copy.

Picked up a second Patriot vintage with PAFs last week (another trade) and had a chance to play it with a band this weekend.  I am even more sold on the Patriot. 

Both guitars can be found for $300-$350 used which puts it at or below the cost of an Epiphone but to hardware is better and the pickups are much better - maybe the P-90s are not that much different but the humbuckers are.  These Kellys are made in Korea.

Gibson LP Standard, Flying V, Goth II SG w/ EMG 81/85, SG Special, SG Classic w/P-90s, SG Voodoo, SG Special Platinum w/ Lace Arena Pup Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ SD JB/Jazz, SG in walnut w/ Alumitones,
    Peavey Bravo Head, XXX
    Carvin MTS-3200, V3, V3M
    RedStar Audio Blackjack 2x12 cabs
    Mesa & Madison cabs

I would grab one over an Epi any day of the week, kind of an unsung guitar, were popular for awhile around here but you don't hear much about them anymore. 

MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

Acid Test wrote:

I picked up a satin vintage with P-90s in a trade for a Schecter S-1.  Wow, what a nice Les Paul copy. 

Picked up a second Patriot vintage with PAFs last week (another trade) and had a chance to play it with a band this weekend.  I am even more sold on the Patriot. 

Both guitars can be found for $300-$350 used which puts it at or below the cost of an Epiphone but to hardware is better and the pickups are much better - maybe the P-90s are not that much different but the humbuckers are.  These Kellys are made in Korea.

The Korean made Michael Kelly models are made at the same factory (World Musical Instruments, Ltd.) that produces PRS SE, higher-end ESP/LTD models, and higher-end Dean models.  

The quality of the fret work, fingerboard, and the overall build quality on the Korean-made Michael Kellys to be some of the highest quality of any import guitar out there.  The final product is as good as a USA-made Gibson.   

I own several models -- single and double-cut solidbody, semi-hollow and hollowbody electric, baritone, and acoustic bass.  All are impeccably made instruments.  

Comment

Working...
      X