New guitar love: Michael Kelly Patriots

Acid Test

• Members

I picked up a satin vintage with P-90s in a trade for a Schecter S-1.  Wow, what a nice Les Paul copy.

Picked up a second Patriot vintage with PAFs last week (another trade) and had a chance to play it with a band this weekend.  I am even more sold on the Patriot. 

Both guitars can be found for $300-$350 used which puts it at or below the cost of an Epiphone but to hardware is better and the pickups are much better - maybe the P-90s are not that much different but the humbuckers are.  These Kellys are made in Korea.

• Members

Acid Test wrote:

I picked up a satin vintage with P-90s in a trade for a Schecter S-1.  Wow, what a nice Les Paul copy.

Picked up a second Patriot vintage with PAFs last week (another trade) and had a chance to play it with a band this weekend.  I am even more sold on the Patriot. 

Both guitars can be found for $300-$350 used which puts it at or below the cost of an Epiphone but to hardware is better and the pickups are much better - maybe the P-90s are not that much different but the humbuckers are.  These Kellys are made in Korea.

The Korean made Michael Kelly models are made at the same factory (World Musical Instruments, Ltd.) that produces PRS SE, higher-end ESP/LTD models, and higher-end Dean models.  

The quality of the fret work, fingerboard, and the overall build quality on the Korean-made Michael Kellys to be some of the highest quality of any import guitar out there.  The final product is as good as a USA-made Gibson.   

I own several models -- single and double-cut solidbody, semi-hollow and hollowbody electric, baritone, and acoustic bass.  All are impeccably made instruments.  

• Members

billybilly wrote:

I would grab one over an Epi any day of the week, kind of an unsung guitar, were popular for awhile around here but you don't hear much about them anymore. 

They’re hard to find. The only ones I’ve ever had a chance to pick up were hideously ugly oddball models being dumped on Craigslist. Michael Kelly seems to be one of those brands that turns up in mom-and-pop stores outside the big cities where there aren’t many players.

Archived