Your guitar is going to outlive you

HEPNOTIC

• Members

Sometimes when I play my guitar, I think about how long my guitar will be around, and i'm certain it's going to outlive me.

Particularly when you have a nice american made Gibson or Fender. It's highly unlikely it's going to end up in a dumpster, or just break so bad its unfixable. And when you own more than one guitar, which almost all of us do, at least one is going to be around for a long time.

This is going to sound morbid, but when I was buying my epiphone sg/les paul custom, and the lady said it belonged to her son who died a year ago, it made me want to buy it more, so I did. It almost feels like someones guitar is a part of them. Like Jimi Hendrix's strat. That's more than just pieces of wood and electronics.

• Members

I like to think my guitars will be passed down to people that will use them. To that end, I actually have a list of who gets which guitar in the event of my death (my life expectancy is fairly short due to a condition), designed to ensure that my guitars end up in the hands of players and not people that will keep them in stuffy display cases.

• Members

Skyforger wrote:

I like to think my guitars will be passed down to people that will use them. To that end, I actually have a list of who gets which guitar in the event of my death (my life expectancy is fairly short due to a condition), designed to ensure that my guitars end up in the hands of players and not people that will keep them in stuffy display cases.

Sorry to hear about your condition.  It's a wierd thing to face your own mortality.  I think about my guitars and other loved possesisons and would also like them to be used.  That said, sometimes they may mean more to someone than you might think.

I had an uncle who was also my godfather that passed away a few yars ago.  He and my Dad taught me to shoot and to hunt.  When he died he left me his favorite shotgun.  It's a classic but I like the ones I have selected for myself much better.  I found out a year or so later that his grandson, my cousin's son was very disappointed that it was not left to him.  I gave it to him because I could see that it meant much more to him and to my cousin that her son have it than me.

JMO but it's just stuff.  What's most important is what piece of us that it helps those left behind to hang on to.     

• Members

I guess I'm fortunate. I've got two nephews and a niece that all play. so they all get one when I leave the planet. I left it up to them to decide between themselves who gets what though. Don't want to make anyone feel I decided which would be best for whom. I'm bettin' that the '81 Strat ends up with the niece though. She loves it and she's wily, devious and meaner than a bobcat.

• Members

The guitars are quite easy we all have a clutch of guitarist friends,

Harder for me is the collection of vintage bicycles restored Raleigh 3 speeds from the 50's and a few 90's Konas and Specialized(s) thought the rarest stuff like the cast framed Kirk below have been sold

KirkMain.jpg

and hardest are the 16mm Cine cameras, Bolex, Kodak K100 turret Kodak and such

I guess I will have to get the family to auction them, I don't want them sitting in some box in the attic as 'dad's holy stuff' that we don't touch, they need to be run periodically, but who shoots 16mm these days?

I should sell em I suppose but I just love handling the old kit even though all my work is video now :(

• Members

Harder for me is the collection of vintage bicycles restored Raleigh 3 speeds from the 50's and a few 90's Konas and Specialized(s) thought the rarest stuff like the cast framed Kirk below have been sold

KirkMain.jpg

Hey, another Kirk!  

lkj

above pic isn't my bike, but close enough.  Been my daily rider for a few years now.

• Members

Not to pick the nits too much, but better word would be "outlast" rather than "outlive", except for this one Reverend I have....

I too wonder what will become of my gits when I'm gone. I have more guitars than people I know who would use them (even give some more than one). Sometimes I think I would like to donate to some strangers, but I don't want to give them to someone who will just "flip" them.... Been giving away many over recent years (my condo is small and can only manage 12 or so.... haha, freed up space let's me go grab another one.).

Any ideas on getting them to people who will actually keep and enjoy them? (Other than saying "give to me! give to me!).

• Members

Elias Graves wrote:

To the OP....

Are you guys getting paid to do this? There are like three of you guys and you're all posting the exact same threads at a half dozen different guitar forums.

What's up with that?

Drats! What are the 8 people who haven't abandoned this forum going to do now? :smiley-rotfl:

Archived