Do you still have your first guitar? Here's mine...

joecool1963

• Members

I think at one point or another, we had some life changing gift given to us by someone in our lives. In the summer of 1979, my grandmother purchased this guitar, a 2 watt amp, a strap, and some other supplies. At the time, my arm was in a sling. I was bored out of my mind with a broken wrist.

I used the guitar some but didnt gain traction at the time. My sister, also used the guitar until she was given a Fender Strat by my father. I got the guitar back, along with the amp. Both still work.

So, this is a thank you to my grandfather and grandmother for taking flack and purchasing this for me. It is indeed one of the possessions that I have that are, in my value book, priceless. Music is a hobby that is close to my soul. It has helped keep me sane, and has given me great joy.

20140222\_145912.jpg

20140222\_135601.jpg

• Members

Nope It went to someone 30 years back along with the mutual consumption of a bottle  of southern Comfort :smiley-eatdrink048: to cement a "male bonding" thing on a real estate deal.

(Fact, as they say, is stranger than fiction  )

Ps. Joecool, looks like your pickups found the Southern Comfort too :)

I still have my first "strat" though, a series one Peavey falcon. Pic when i get the time

Peavey.jpg

• Members

yeah,'81 or so Skylark ,Bday gift from mom,learned all my punk and metal songs on it,

sold it to a friend in the mid 90's and a couple of years ago happen to see it in his house and i knew he doesnt play guitar so asked him if he'd sell it back to me ,

he said give him the $50 he paid me for it and deal,

back into daddy's hands  where it belongs.LOL.

it plays great better than i remember!!

maybe thats because i got a better amp now than i had?LOL

ForSale028[1].jpg

ForSale032[1].jpg

ForSale036[1].jpg

ForSale029[1].jpg

• Members

joecool1963 wrote:

I think at one point or another, we had some life changing gift given to us by someone in our lives. In the summer of 1979, my grandmother purchased this guitar, a 2 watt amp, a strap, and some other supplies. At the time, my arm was in a sling. I was bored out of my mind with a broken wrist.

I used the guitar some but didnt gain traction at the time. My sister, also used the guitar until she was given a Fender Strat by my father. I got the guitar back, along with the amp. B
oth still work.

So, this is a thank you to my grandfather and grandmother for taking flack and purchasing this for me. It is indeed one of the possessions that I have that are, in my value book, priceless. Music is a hobby that is close to my soul. It has helped keep me sane, and has given me great joy.

20140222\_145912.jpg

20140222\_135601.jpg

dude i have that amp here with me?

what kind of amp is it?

there's no name anywhere on it?

• Members

77BlazerK5 wrote:

joecool1963 wrote:

I used the guitar some but didnt gain traction at the time. My sister, also used the guitar until she was given a Fender Strat by my father. I got the guitar back, along with the amp. B
oth still work.

20140222\_145912.jpg

20140222\_135601.jpg

dude i have that amp here with me?

what kind of amp is it?

there's no name anywhere on it?

The amp was manufactured for Sears. No telling who manufactured them..

• Members

My dad bough my first guitar from my cousin. It was a black MIK Epiphone strat copy from the early 90s. An Epi copy of a Fender guitar that had “Gibson” on the truss cover . It was terrible. The saddles were made of some awful potmetal that woudn’t stay smooth, so I went through a high E string at least once a week, no matter how many time I filed that saddle. The tuners were garbage and I couldn’t play for ten minutes without tuning. I could never get it to intonate properly. The pickups were abominable and when I had a friend replace the, he told me that the factory hadn’t even installed a ground. I eventually dumped it at a Goodwill store. Looking back I should have just thrown it away, because some poor kid probably got that POS guitar and hated it as much as I did.

• Members

I still have my first guitar - an old Harmony nylon string acoustic. I took lessons on it when I was around 12 years old back in the early 60's. Played for a couple years, but didn't like to practice so gave up. But when I started hearing Hendrix, Santana, Clapton, etc. in the late 60's, I got interested again. That guitar now hangs on my wall.

I sure wish I had my first electric, though. It was well-worn 60's Jaguar that I bought used in a little hole in the wall shop on 48th St in NYC for $115! It would probably be worth thousands today.

• Members

My first guitar by sheer luck of the draw is an original 1963 Gibson Firebird VII. One of 151 ever made, I've found out. I played piano since I was 6 and really wanted a guitar.

I ended up trading a Technics keyboard to an old guy in a band for the guitar in 1983. The keyboards had a patch that sounded like the organ on Dire Straits Walk of Life, so we made the deal and the rest is history.

Always loved the guitar, always hung onto it. I hear it's worth a few bucks now.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/4EE264B4-0090-4681-8DF3-8CB4C1DC69BD-35530-00001EA3F583F24C.jpg

• Members

Wish I did...It was a Shinko bought at T G & Y I think for $49. I switched over to a Sears bass about a year later. At a private party our band played I played rhytym guitar on it for a cover of Hendrix's "Hey Joe", then set it on fire and smashed it to pieces. The parents of the girl who was having the party freaked out, convinced I was a drug depraved lunatic, but I wasn't, I was just into hendrix and the Who.

The crowd, all teenagers like myself and the band loved it.

The guitar always sucked though, but I wish I still had the pieces. It would make an interesting wallhanging.

• Members

Not actually my *first* guitar -- that was a horrible Italian made Jazzmaster clone that decayed into a heap of rust and wood particles. 

Instead, this is my first "real" guitar, a Gibson ES-335TD-12, which I bought new for $389 in January of 1973.  Years later, I discovered it was actually manufactured in 1968.  

35096401ry2.jpg e1sz6.jpg

• Members

Here's my first, and I still have it.  A Hondo Revival Explorer (middle).  It was MIJ and it still playes very nicely.  I bust it out all the time!  I put the EMGs in it back in the 90's.  The one far right is my second guitar, a Kensington double cut which one of my uncles gave me.  It went to Vietnam with him but when he lost a finger he couldn't play it any longer so he gave it to me.  The Dean I bought for my kid but she never plays it.

guitars1.jpg

• Members

Only my first acoustic 6-string. Little Jasmine dread, still in a gig bag in my man cave. Doesn't see much play time and needs some work gluing the bridge back down.

My first bass guitar, a Yammie RBX-160, got stolen in a break-in while I was at college, along with my first bass amp and my first Fender, a MIM Jazz. Probably being played by some Tejano band south of the border by now.

My first electric was an Ibanez GAX-70, which neck-dove so horribly I honestly couldn't play it. I traded it for my first real guitar OD pedal, a Hardwire CM-2.

• Members

Still got mine.   A 1970 Harmony Sovereign black acoutic.   All hardwood.  I think they were sold by Montgomery Wards or Sears.  My parents got it for me.  I learned how to play on it and played it for many years before it ended up in the attic.  I took it out about 2 years ago, spent about 150 bucks getting the neck reset and the frets dressed and now it plays like it did when I first got it.  I will never get rid of it. 

• Members

Nope. Mine was a Peavey T-30, black on black, with a couple changed pups, some VH-esque white stripes, and a gumby sticker! I stripped it, painted it red, and had a single HB pickguard made at the local music store. Put a SD super distortion in there. Traded it in on a 61-ish Guild T100. -Adam

Archived