Ten Albums. No Compilations.

kayd_mon

• Members

Well I guess if we take your premise seriously we can't just stick to rock,  or even just to guitar-based music.  In that case, how about:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Sings Gershwin

Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Cpt Beefheart and the Magic Band - Lick My Decals Off

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

Beatles - White album

Oh, I haven't started on folk, blues or classical yet ... I'm going to have to come back to this

• Members

(Eclectic I know, but if I were on a desert island I'd want these, life has many chapters. I will probably be updating his all day   :)

Joni Mitchel Hissing of Summer Lawns

Genesis Trespass

Miles Davis Kind of Blue

Focus Focus3

Tears for Fears Songs from the Big Chair

Dr Feelgood Down by the Jetty

Ralph Vaughan Williams , Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

Steve Reich - Desert Music

Mike Oldfield Ommadawn

Rolling Stones Let it Bleed

PS +1 for Kind of Blue, I wasn't expecting that to make the first two posts here! :)

• Members

Modern Sounds of Country and Western- Ray Charles

Revolver- The Beatles

The Hot Club Quintet- Django Reinhardt ( I know it's a compilation but I'm not sure if they ever made any "Albums'.

American Garage- Pat Methey Group

Who Knows Where the Time Goes- Judy Collins

Sweet Baby James- James Taylor

Live at the Regal- BB King

Fresh Cream- Cream

Exile on Main Street- The Rolling Stones

King of the Delta Blues- Robert Johnson

• Members

Okay let's try again.

I'm stealing Beatles - Revolver from Beano Boy

and Joni - Hissing of Summer Lawns from Chordite 'cos you have to have at least one Joni

I'm keeping Miles Davis - Kind of Blue as before

and I'm keeping Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers

and Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

so that's five, three of which are from (loosely) the world of rock.

Okay so let's add:

London Philiharmonic - Elgar - Enigma Variations

Daniel Barenboim - BeethovenComplete Piano Sonatas  - is a box set cheating?

Kiri Te KanawaVerdi & Puccini - I'm not really an opera buff but this is great stuff, the Puccini especially

Two more?  Hmm,  I'm going to have to go back to the rock world, where most of my albums lie

Television - Marquee Moon

Captain Beefheart - Lick My Decals Off

I may have cheated a little with the box set, but on the plus side these are all albums I own, or at least have owned at one time (an ex has a couple of the classicals up there and I seem to have lost the Beefheart one)

• Members

There's really no 'album' for classical music, but you'd have to include Beethoven's 5th, right?

Since others have said Kind of Blue, I'll be contrary and say A Love Supreme - John Coltrane. Although if I persoanlly could only have one jazz album, it would be Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um. 

Mississppi John Hurt - 1928 Sessions - Some of the purest playing blues.

Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang Clan (36 Chambers) - While The Chonic might be a lot of people's top choice for a hip-hop album, I'm East Coast, so it was either Nas or this. How can you go wrong with Wu-Tang Clan?

Michael Jackson - Thriller - I'd hazard a guess that the aliens already know about Jacko, but you'd have to give this a nod, right?

Beatles - White Album - This was tough, because it's not my favortite (Let It Be and Revolver, btw), but it's a double album, so you get the two-for-one, plus it shows a wide spectrum of what the Beatles were about.

Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction - You'd have to show them something harder, and I considered Master of Puppets or Iron Maiden's Killers (both of which I prefer), but I think the crossover appeal and popularity of Appetite would be of broader cultural significance to our extra-terretrial friends.

Ramones - Ramones - 14 songs. 29 minutes. Hey, ho! Let's Go! 

Johnny Cash - at San Quentin - I almost went with George Jones, and it's tough to go against the Possum, but the Man in Black might do him one better, plus the live inmate audience would give us time to talk social justice and the problems with the American penal system.

John Zorn - NakedCity - I went back and forth between Zappa and Zorn, but this album has it all, starting with pop-inspired free-jazz (Batman) devolving into spasmatic noise-rock. We can leave them pondering "what is music?"  as they fly away in their saucer.

So apparently our alien visitors would leave thinking that only men make music. Might have to trade out a few - Madonna? Dolly Parton? Ella Fitzgerald? Billie Holiday?

• Members

Beach Boys - Petsounds

King Crimson - Red

Hendrix - Bold as Love

Fairport Convention - What We Did on Our Holidays

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Yellow Magic Orchestra - Technopolis

Paul McCartney - McCartney II

Masami Tsuchiya - Tokyo Ballet

Alan Jackson - Here in the Real World

Keith Whitley - L.A. to Miami

...and if they don't like any of that, they can download my music. :D

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

No genre restrictions, really. Just what you think should represent earth's musical accomplishments.

Looking at it that way, I would have a really hard time figuring it out.

Yeah, even though I listen to some world music and appreciate it, I wouldn't know where to begin on what to recommend to the aliens as far as Javanese Gamelan music, or Chinese Opera. 

• Members

In no particular order:

Boston - Boston

Back in Black - AC/DC

Van Halen - Van Halen

Voodoo Highway - Badlands

Dreamboat Annie - Heart

Blizzard of Oz - Ozzy Osbourne

Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

Surfing with the Alien - Joe Satriani

Fire Garden - Steve Vai

Appetite for Destruction - Guns-n-Roses

• Members

Special J wrote:

It occurs to me that I should have included Bob Marley - Catch A Fire or Exodus in my list. If the Aliens can't appreciate it, there's a good chance we're all not going to get along.

Ah Catch a Fire - great album.  Reminds me I only have that on vinyl and don't currently have a deck - I must get a CD/MP3 copy of that,  or a record deck.

• Members

Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

Abbey Road - The Beatles

The Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Long Player, Late Bloomer - Ron Sexsmith

Ashes and Fire - Ryan Adams

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

Hoochie Coochie Man - Jimmy Smith

Sea Change - Beck

Taproot - Michael Hedges

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Here's the game: aliens land in your backyard. They came to earth just so that they could find out what good music is, and they require this data in the form of ten albums, no compilations. What do you give them?

Ok I've been puzzling over this assignment for days now. For one thing, if they came all the way from, well, hell who knows. I mean the nearest star that has a capability of a solar type system is Alpha Centuari, and it's more than four light years away. So they'd have been listening to our radio broadcasts for as long as we've been using radio waves. So they've heard all the music we've ever broadcast. They've surely figured out what they like by the time they get here, if they like any of it at all. The only enlightment we could give them musically would be to present some music that had never been broadcast, or for that matter put on the internet, because you know if they have cracked the fusion puzzle and figured out how to get here, they probably have seen and heard anything on the internet as well.

Best thing we could do would be to take them to some live shows in local venues and bars, because that's where the good stuff is anyway. Maybe then we could get a few beers in 'em and get 'em to turn us on to some of their music and tell us how the hell they got here 'cause all we've done is send a few guys to our lil moon and put a few probes out barely beyond our solar system(almost) and put a few robots on Mars.

So, I'm not gonna rack my already stressed brain to try and come up with ten albums when I already have a hard time just deciding what to listen to out of my own collection, much less come up with ten favorites out of the hundreds of albums that I love.

• Members

Iron Maiden, Number of The Beast

ACDC Back in Black

Ozzy Osborne, Blizzard of Ozz

The Hellecasters, Return of the Hellecasters

Judas Priest Painkiller

Lynyrd Skynyrd Too many great ones to choose one

VH1

Rush, All the World's a Stage

Cheap Trick, Live at Boudakon

The Who, Who's Next

There are many many albums I think are way more musically note worthy especially if you want to talk about classical music and jazz, and ALL ten thousand of those records would be mentioned before any I named above  , but since this is an electric guitar forum, I mention the records that simply had the most impact on my life, musical career, etc.

• Members

I would tell the aliens to visit a few more backyards so that way they could get more opinions.

Then I would give them:

Beatles - Abbey Road

Who - Who's Next

John Scofield - A Go Go

Tommy Emmanuel - Only

King Crimson - Discipline

King's X - Dogman

Radiohead - In Rainbows

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Kings of Convenience - Riot on Empty Street

Spock's Beard - V

... And then I'd tell them to come back in a week or two, because I will have changed my mind, and I could let them borrow ten more albums!

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I would tell the aliens to visit a few more backyards so that way they could get more opinions.

Then I would give them:

Beatles - Abbey Road

Who - Who's Next

John Scofield - A Go Go

Tommy Emmanuel - Only

King Crimson - Discipline

King's X - Dogman

Radiohead - In Rainbows

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Kings of Convenience - Riot on Empty Street

Spock's Beard - V

... And then I'd tell them to come back in a week or two, because I will have changed my mind, and I could let them borrow ten more albums!

I haven't listened to that in a LONG time... Medeski Martin and Wood backing him up if I recall.  Excellent album.

• Members

In no particular order:

1) The Beatles - Abbey Road

2) Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

3) The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

4) Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

5) U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

6) The Highwaymen - Highwayman

7) Muse - Blackholes and Revelations

8) Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

9) Yes - Close to the Edge

10) Pink Floyd - Meddle