Gibson ES 137 vs 335

mertas

• Members

I look for cross guitar ready to handle clean natural jazzy tone  and nice smooth distorted rock sound.

I have checked Es137 and 335 and my filling is, that ES137 can do better jazzy tone on neck pickup (more air sounding) and also hardrock tone on bridge pickup sounds to me more fat and more responsive than on 335.

Is this only my feeling. Or do  you also consider ES 137 way better in clean jazzy sound as well as les paul hardrock sound.

I checked, that central block of mahagony is just below bridge pickup and bridge. Not below the neck pickup - could be this reason for more spacier sound together with wider sides than 335?

• Members

Which 137's and 335's are you looking at? The pickups are going to have a lot to do with the sound, obviously. 

I have a 137 Classic, which is basically a fat Les Paul Studio with 490/498 pickups. Some people are going to love that sound, others aren't. Overall I like the sounds that I can get out of each pickup, but not all that thrilled with it when both are selected. Yes, it can do jazz, but you can also play jazz on a Tele. 

Biggest difference is the feel and upper fret access. My 137 has a fat, round neck and a heel to match, and not everybody is going to like that. 

• Members

From what I experienced during 30 minutes test in shop and what you all wrote, i try to summarize sound experience:

137  (cross for clean jazzy and hardrock sound)

- neck pickup - nice warm jazz clean tone

- bridge pickup - nice les paul like tone (of course not such bright and attacking like solid body LP)

335 (Closer to blues rock)

- less air, but more bright and punchier on both pickups

- better response on dirty sounds, when played both pickups together   (based on fact, that more air in quitar)

- longer sustain (based on fact bigger central block)

I try to put these information into one custom made guitar::

- bent rib construction

- carved solid mahagony back

- carved solid maple top

- mahagony central block from neck to bridge pickup - glued just to top of the quitar

- size 15" (16") in shape of PRS guitar (high double cutaway, thinner neck)

- wooden tailpiece with wooden bridge base and tune o matic metal bridge

- neck pickup gibson 57

- bridge pickup gibson 490T

Do you think I will reach compromise sound between 335 a 137?

• Members

The more air in your guitar the more feedback, so if you are going to wail away with lots if gain, go thinner or make sure you use a gate.

To be honest, to get the "jazz tone" (which most people associate with a muted, no-treble sound) all you need is a tone control. Choosing a guitar for rock/jazz versatility, you should focus on the factors that are harder to control or compensate for, like feedback with gain.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

The more air in your guitar the more feedback, so if you are going to wail away with lots if gain, go thinner or make sure you use a gate.

To be honest, to get the "jazz tone" (which most people associate with a muted, no-treble sound) all you need is a tone control. Choosing a guitar for rock/jazz versatility, you should focus on the factors that are harder to control or compensate for, like feedback with gain.

Some good points there. I found the Norlan era Les Pauls with the three piece maple necks to be excellent guitars fo getting a good jazz sound.

The 137 is prone to feedback at higher volumes whereas the 335 seems to feedback in pleasant and more musical way. The Varitone on the 137 Custom is good for reducing feedback because it cuts out some of the mids.

Archived