Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson ES 137 vs 335

I look for cross guitar ready to handle clean natural jazzy tone  and nice smooth distorted rock sound.

I have checked Es137 and 335 and my filling is, that ES137 can do better jazzy tone on neck pickup (more air sounding) and also hardrock tone on bridge pickup sounds to me more fat and more responsive than on 335.

Is this only my feeling. Or do  you also consider ES 137 way better in clean jazzy sound as well as les paul hardrock sound.

I checked, that central block of mahagony is just below bridge pickup and bridge. Not below the neck pickup - could be this reason for more spacier sound together with wider sides than 335?

go play them

Comment

i did. do you agree with my conclusion about sound?

Comment

The 335 is second only to the 339/336 in my highly subjective opinion.
        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• Bucksstudent
          Bucksstudent commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd rather have the 335 because the 137 won't be as versatile, IMO.

• mertas
          mertas commented
          Editing a comment
          could you describe the sound on combination of both pickups? what is wrong compared to 335?

• 6down1togo
          6down1togo commented
          Editing a comment

Absolutely nothing wrong to my ears bridge, neck and combined.

I don't find the guitar to sound like a Les Paul studio at all. I think Gibson chose the pickups for the studio to brighten up the all mahogany guitar. In the maple body, maple neck 137, they give very articulate tone as you would want from a jazz guitar. Some guys find them too bright but I rather have t that way. you can lower the pickups and dial the tone back a bit if you want mellower tone. If a guitar is too dark, nothing can fix it besides a pickup change. ai'd much rather have a guitar that is a little snappy and twangy from the start as you can always turn the tone down on the guitar or amp. I like the guitar as-is.

Check the spam thread. I decided to sell mine as I have too many 2x humbucker semi-hollowbody guitars and want a Rickenbacker..  

From what I experienced during 30 minutes test in shop and what you all wrote, i try to summarize sound experience:

137  (cross for clean jazzy and hardrock sound)

- neck pickup - nice warm jazz clean tone

- bridge pickup - nice les paul like tone (of course not such bright and attacking like solid body LP)

335 (Closer to blues rock)

- less air, but more bright and punchier on both pickups

- better response on dirty sounds, when played both pickups together   (based on fact, that more air in quitar)

- longer sustain (based on fact bigger central block)

I try to put these information into one custom made guitar::

- bent rib construction

- carved solid mahagony back

- carved solid maple top

- mahagony central block from neck to bridge pickup - glued just to top of the quitar

- size 15" (16") in shape of PRS guitar (high double cutaway, thinner neck)

- wooden tailpiece with wooden bridge base and tune o matic metal bridge

- neck pickup gibson 57

- bridge pickup gibson 490T

Do you think I will reach compromise sound between 335 a 137?

Comment

The more air in your guitar the more feedback, so if you are going to wail away with lots if gain, go thinner or make sure you use a gate.

To be honest, to get the "jazz tone" (which most people associate with a muted, no-treble sound) all you need is a tone control. Choosing a guitar for rock/jazz versatility, you should focus on the factors that are harder to control or compensate for, like feedback with gain.
          Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Working...
          X