That song that made you want to play?

knotty

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. I Want To Hold Your Hand.

I was 9 years old when WLS, a radio station in Chicago, was doing a 10 year anniversary of the British Invasion. The first time I heard 'I Want to Hold Your Hand', I was hooked. I played it on a tennis racket. Later on, I put some rubberbands on a box and I played it again. 

Damn, I'm old.

• Members

The Classical was for school because I fancied the music teacher

The Electric was probably Black Sabbath Paranoid on the college juke box when I decided to go beyond air guitar and really make a noise.

But the acoustic was specific:-

This, I bought my first acoustic because I wanted to do this,   Its still Ackerman 1 - Chordite 0   :(

PS that was in the early 1980s before the internet NOW I have seen the tab and  know he uses his own tuning and a capo !

And having just done the first couple of bars I think I can get it down in a weekend

L

• Members

Anthrax Among The Living.  I specificially remember the time when I said "I'm going to learn to play the guitar so I can figure out what that CHUN-CHUN-CHUN-CHUN skipping sound is."

To this day, I don't know that I've ever tried to figure that song out.  Once I got a guitar and learned some chords and pentatonics I dove into my Sabbath collection and kinda forgot about Anthrax.

• Members

Hotel California and yes I can play it,  years ago I was in a cover band and needed to learn it.  Went through small sections over and over until I got it right.   Very much glad I did!  Now I just love to jam to it and take liberties.  I used to jam it on a play guitar I made out of Legos when I was 10-12 years old.   

• Members

The guitar solo in "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the Beatles (White Album) sent shivers up my spine.

For years I thought George Harrison played it since he was the lead guitarist in the band and wrote the song. I became a big Harrison fan, which is not a bad thing, only to discover in a Guitar Player interview years later that it was Eric Clapton.

• Members

I'd been swept in by the whole British invasion, but the song that wanted me to learn to play guitar was "Lies" by the Knickerbockers. The Beatles and the Byrds made me love music, but that one song made me want to understand how electric guitars worked.

• Members

What a totally bichen tune (always assumed it was the Beatles).  Just looked up the tab.  I'm telling you I'm the guy to bring back Go Go Girls (does it matter if they're over 40?)

For myself, I don't think there was any one tune that made me want to play.  This song is my first recollection of being in love with Rock n Roll however:

• Members

OK!

I'll admit it!

KISS ( in the 70's)

kiss

No real single song. I loved (still do) a lot of the 70's era KISS.

Strutter, Black Diamond, Detroit Rock City, Love Gun. Etc...

Made me want to learn an instrument. First I tried drums. Failed. Then guitar. Didn't stick to it. Then tried guitar again in my teens. Been playing ever since. When I tried guitar that second time, by then, I was into VH, Zeppelin, Floyd, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio era Sabbath, so on. Then got into the Shredders like Yngwie, Tony MacApline, Vinnie Moore, Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker. Then on to newer hard rock Prog and Prog Metal. Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Explorers Club, Shadow Gallery, Enchant.

Never really was in a full cover band. Always seemed to get into all originals bands. So, I'm influenced by a lot of players. But, never really sat down to learn songs all the way through.

These days, I listen to a lot of different stuff, new and old.

Got  a couple Hal Leonard "Gold Mine series" books to start studying again. And refreshing myself on my scales and theory books again as well.  And maybe I'll sit down someday and try to learn some songs all the way through.

Maybe I'll start with a KISS song. ;)

• Members

The Beatles and the British invasion got me into guitar ( although I started out with Walk Don't Run and Wipeout etc.) but when I heard Crossroads by Cream I started getting serious. I can play the first solo, the second one depends on whether i've kept my chops up or was a bit dormant. Most of the second solo is up around the 17th fret. Clapton had remarkable intonation and control.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

It wasn't really a song that inspired me to pick up an play, but before I learned to play, I would air guitar to The Who a lot. So sure, I can play a lot of Who stuff.

The chord changes in "Behind Blue Eyes", the electric part of the song, are probably my all time favorites. Absolute power and drama with really what was with Pete, understatement. Plus some of the greatest lyrics..My Gawd..."If my fist clenches crack it open"...Now I gotta put it on...

Archived