Fixing a dent into side of fretboard

Platypus

• Members

One of my guitars (DeArmond S73) has been like this for a while, and it rarely affects play much, but I'm thinking about finally getting it fixed, somehow. Not least so that I could easily sell it if I wanted to at some point.

In the lower (playing) side edge near my first fret, there is an ugly dent into the fretboard. The dent seems to have struck through the glossy surface into the wood, but hasnt gone as far as the rosewood fretted surface itself. It's right next to that though, you can see it if you look down on the fret with the guitar flat.

What are the possible solutions?

• Members

You could add some clear cyanoacrylate glue to it and then sand the spot and polish it to match the rest of the guitar. This can end up as a slightly different looking spot though since the finish might get thinner.

• Members

That would probably be some improvement, even if it looked a bit different. At least there would be a smooth playing side to the fretboard.

Seeing as it was my first ever guitar, I doubt I will sell it, so I guess the look of the fix wouldn't matter a whole lot. I just like to have it in good working/playing order.

Can you get that stuff at any normal hardware store? What do I need to be careful about when doing it?

• Members

Yeah you can get it from a hardware store. I used some Loctite "Super Attak" cyanoacrylate glue for filling some chipped ebony spots when refretting and after sanding the filled spots are hard to see for the most part.

Get the gel type glue since it's easier to get into the right place and use just a drop..just enough to fill the dent. When it's fully dry sand that spot with some fine sandpaper (like 800-2000 grit or something) and finally use a fine polishing compound to get it shiny again. The polishing compound can be something intended for car paints, preferably as fine as possible.

• Members

I recall reading on these boards and elsewhere that you can fix dents by using a wet rag and a solder gun. Put the rag up against the dent and hold the solder gun next to it.

The theory is that this will create steam that enters the compressed wood in the dent and makes it expand, in effect repairing itself. The wood may expand out above the dent, but then you just sand it down and refinish it.

This only applies if the wood is not chipped.

• Members

Originally posted by chump5150

I recall reading on these boards and elsewhere that you can fix dents by using a wet rag and a solder gun. Put the rag up against the dent and hold the solder gun next to it.

The theory is that this will create steam that enters the compressed wood in the dent and makes it expand, in effect repairing itself. The wood may expand out above the dent, but then you just sand it down and refinish it.

Worth a try but I wonder if it'll work on a poly finish that well.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

Worth a try but I wonder if it'll work on a poly finish that well.

The posts I read were about doing that to unfinished bare wood during the course of repairs, so you might want to check with a luthier before trying this on finished wood. Wouldn't want you to create a problem with your finish that makes this thing more noticeable.

Archived