Tone Chamber Placement

maravich

• Members

i'm toying with the idea of having a custom guitar made and my choice of body wood is mahogany.

i may have tone chambers routed to reduce the weight. my question are, where do i put them? is there a science to it?

is there "tuning" involved?

how about that awkward hole on the top of some mcinturff guitars? is it there for a purpose?

your thoughts please. :)

• Members

It would depend on if you want the chambers to influence the tone of the guitar or not as to their size and placement...there is a method to the madness and it would prb help if you work with a luthier who builds chambered bodies to begin with. IIRC, TCM posted here a while back on that topic and said that he prototypes the bodies until he gets the desired effect.

• Members

Make sure you will like it because it's going to cost a lot and if you try to sell it you'll get nothing for it.

If this doesn't matter go for it.

The GMP Roxie is chambered mahogany and they sound and play great. The Gretsch Duo Jet and EE are also like this. I think that they make some chambered Les Pauls as well.

• Members

Some Les pauls have been made lighter with the so called "swiss cheese" construction, that is, a bunch of small holes were drilled into the mahogany back (inside, of course). Those holes were too small to really act as tone chambers but made the guitar lighter. It appears to have been a short-lived idea for whatever reason.

Archived