Strat nut. What should I use?

randballen

• Members

I have an SX neck that I want to replace the nut. Is there a good pre-slotted nut that Stew Mac or someone else carries? What measuremnets do I need to make sure that I get the right size, shape etc? Finally, is there a place that I can review what steps to take to insure a good replacement job, DIY? Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by randballen

I have an SX neck that I want to replace the nut. Is there a good pre-slotted nut that Stew Mac or someone else carries? What measuremnets do I need to make sure that I get the right size, shape etc? Finally, is there a place that I can review what steps to take to insure a good replacement job, DIY? Thanks.

This is waay to coincidental. I was just about to order a nut from Graphtec for my SX strat. Since I haven't ordered or installed it yet, I don't know how it will come out, but I'll let you know what I'm planning to do.

I had an exchange with another forumite (jrfan) a while back about this. He installed a Graphtech Tusq nut (PQ-5010-00) on his SX Tele. According to him, the string spacing was perfect although he did have to file the back of the nut a bit to get the height right. I asked him about the nut slot and he told me it is flat underneath the nut.

So, I was going to order the graphite equivalent (PT-5010-00) directly from graphtech.com, cause I can't find anyone else who carries that model. Their price is right around $10 with $3 shipping (US mail). I was going to double check the measurements tonight, which means I probably won't get it till late next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Members

Here is a pic of the nut installed on my SX.

sx1.jpg

You will have to do some final shaping( height and width) but no

big deal.

You may find the high e string a little close to the edge of the fret.

That's because the frets are beveled in too far from the factory.

It may not be a problem on yours but it was on mine.

Good Luck.

• Members

I usually just put a knife tip under the nut from the side and then turn the knife slightly. Do that on both sides and the nut should come out nice and clean. Then just clean the slot from any glue residue and glue in a new one with a couple of drops of any glue that's not super powerful (so that the nut can be removed easily.

When I fitted a Graphtech nut on my strat copy I didn't even bother glueing it, the slot was rather tight so the nut stayed down nicely by itself.

• Members

Originally posted by jrfan

Here is a pic of the nut installed on my SX.

sx1.jpg
You will have to do some final shaping( height and width) but no

big deal.

You may find the high e string a little close to the edge of the fret.

That's because the frets are beveled in too far from the factory.

It may not be a problem on yours but it was on mine.

Good Luck.

Nice flame on that headstock!! Not bad for a $100 guitar! I wish the frets weren't beveled like that though. I'm thinking of putting a different neck on mine.

Archived