Hear string gauge?

ebuljan

• Members

Is it possible to hear string gauge? I'm playing along/listening to the intro to Shine On You Crazy Diamond, and I think my .9's sound too thin compared to the album.

Anyone know what brand/gauge Gilmour uses?

On a side note, I'm looking at a '96 Guitar Shop mag, and Gilmour's rack has 49 items in his signal path, if you include his amps, cabs, and tuner! I wonder if anyone's ever topped that?

• Members

Yes there is some difference in the sound of different gauge strings. Try this experiment, tune the second string of your instrument the same as the bottom. See if you can hear the difference in tone. (The second string on 9's is the same diameter as the first in larger strings.)

But there are other differences that probably mean more.

• Members

Well, the difference between his tone and your sure as hell isn't due to the string gauges. Not only does he invariably have way better gear than you (no offense), but tone is mostly in the hands anyway.

There is a difference in tone between string gauges, especially in Strats. I recently went up to 11's with mine and have noticed a difference. There really isn't that much difference in playability either, except that fatigue sets in a bit sooner. That will change though.

Archived