Replace SX Strat neck. Options???

chiro972

• Members

Has anyone done this? Are the neck pocket and bolt patterns compatable with Fender? I need some work done to my SX and the Tech wants $100 to do a fret level. The crowning files from Stewmac will run nearly as much, so I thought about just putting a Fender neck on it and be done with it.

Has anyone tried and had i work? Anyone tried and failed? What should I look out for if I try this?

Thanks!

• Members

Well, I've already put better pups in there. The body is simply beautiful two piece alder. the routing under the pickguard is clean and looks just like fender (not bathtub). So, yes, I was figuring I would spend around $100 bucks for a neck rather than $100 for a fret level of the stock neck.

One reason I am hesitant of leveling the frets is that they seem a bit soft. I can see some wear on a few where I play a lot and I have only had the guitar a couple of months.

• Members

You could always look into a Warmoth neck for around $160. For an extra $15 they won't drill any holes in the neck for mounting. Of course, that means you'd have to get it right yourself. I really don't know how hard that would be to do. I wonder if a pre-drilled Warmoth neck (i.e. Fender hole pattern) would fit in the SX pocket? I don't imagine that would be too hard of a question to answer, but I dont' know it.

• Members

Originally posted by shoeless

You could always look into a Warmoth neck for around $160. For an extra $15 they won't drill any holes in the neck for mounting. Of course, that means you'd have to get it right yourself. I really don't know how hard that would be to do. I wonder if a pre-drilled Warmoth neck (i.e. Fender hole pattern) would fit in the SX pocket? I don't imagine that would be too hard of a question to answer, but I dont' know it.

That's pretty much the question I am asking. I have seen some MIM necks go on ebay for around $100 but I want to know if the neck pocket is the same. I thought I had heard of someone trying this on here, so I'm hoping someone will chime in who has already tried it.

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

That's pretty much the question I am asking. I have seen some MIM necks go on ebay for around $100 but I want to know if the neck pocket is the same. I thought I had heard of someone trying this on here, so I'm hoping someone will chime in who has already tried it.

...then I guess I wasn't much help, was I?:D

Warmoth does have some pretty detailed diagrams showing pocket dimensions that their neck expects. Oddly, it does not show hole spacing, only hole diameter. They would probably answer an email though. If nobody answers your question from first hand experience, your best bet may just be to remove the neck and take some accurate measurements yourself.

• Members

Thanks,

Yeah I've got some decent digital calipers, so I should just go ahead and measure it. I had an auction on a neck that was ending tonite and wasn't going to have time to do that, but I'm sure another one will come along.

Archived