pickup hum problem, please help

Mittermax

• Members

My new '72 tele deluxe RI has developed some kind of ground loop hum or something. When I'm not touching the strings, it hums and then crackles when I touch it. The pots are quiet. Is that just a ground problem or a pickup problem?

The pickups are 2 Fender widerange humbuckers with independant volume and tone controls. It does it on both pickups, so I'm assuming it's just the lousy Mexican wiring/electronics.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Originally posted by Mittermax

When I'm not touching the strings, it hums and then crackles when I touch it. The pots are quiet. Is that just a ground problem or a pickup problem?

When you touch the strings, your body acts a a shield.

I don't think anything is wrong.

• Members

Originally posted by Mittermax

But why doesn't my Strat do it? Do the humbuckers or the nickel covers cause that?

I'm sure your strat does it to some extent; it may be more obvious with a humbucking guitar though, single coils produce lots of noise that your body can't attenuate very well.

You can tell if the nickel covers are grounded by touching them; if the noise goes away when you touch them, they're grounded.

If the noise gets louder when you touch the strings, the guitar is grounded incorrectly.

Archived