Peavey Reactor... body wood?

HamsterSandwich

• Members

I have a Peavey Reactor (cheap but good Tele copy made in early to mid 90's) I bought used a couple of years ago. Original finish is opaque red. I have heard conflicting stories regarding the wood they used to make these bodies. I always thought they were poplar, but recently I've seen several references to them being alder. Anybody know which is correct?

If there's a decent looking piece of alder under that paint, I'd consider tackling a DIY refin with a transparent stain. If it's fugly poplar, there's not much point unless I just decide to paint it a different color. If it makes a difference, it's the basic Reactor, NOT the AX version with the rosewood board and the twin-blade pickups.

Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by HamsterSandwich

I have a Peavey Reactor (cheap but good Tele copy made in earlyy to mid 90's) I bought used a couple of years ago. Original finish is opaque red. I have heard conflicting stories regarding the wood they used to make these bodies. I always thought they were poplar, but recently I've seen several references to them being alder. Anybody know which is correct?

The Reactors and Predators were always 'advertised' as being Poplar, but I've heard that some were made with Alder. Kind of like Fender use to do, switch between Poplar and Alder depending on availability.

To be sure you would probably need to pull the pickguard and check the wood.

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

To be sure you would probably need to pull the pickguard and check the wood.

Thanks. I've had the pickguard off, but the red paint is everywhere, including inside the neck PU cavity. I see your point though, I guess I could strip a little spot inside the cavity or under the guard and see what I've got. Or I could just say "what the hell" and go for it, since I'm not a big fan of the red anyway.

Archived