Need help with balancing guitar

metalstorm

• Members

I have a BC rich Beast, Absolutely love the guitar but the neck and head seems way too heavy, it keeps pulling down no matter how i adjust the strap so i have to hold it up with my left hand while playing, gets really hard to play anything fast like this especially on the first couple of frets.

I think it might be because of where the strap connects to the guitar (its on the end of the spike sticking out at the back), was thinking of maybe drilling a new hole closer to my body on the back of the guitar to see if it helps but wanted to check here first.

My wording may have been confusing if you do not know what the guitar looks like. There is a pic on this link

http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Platinum-Beast-2003-i98712.music?siteID=RLfG6f5eu14-0bnAvd5c9rKFeNGIOhAAJw

• Members

Grab the guitar's body with one hand, holding it tight, near, say, the bridge pickup. Try to balance it on one hand. Move your hand toward the neck pickup and the neck. When you have it at the bridge, especially since you said it's neck-heavy, it should be almost impossible to hold up, so don't drop your guitar! As you move closer to the neck pickup and the neck, it should feel a bit lighter, more balanced. Find the balance-point for it. Then what you'll want to do is consider either moving the strap or weights in the pickup cavity (someone suggested rolls of nickels, etc) to get the center of mass (the balance point) more around the neck pickup. Start gradually, you'll be surprised what a little weight here or there could do. Eventually, you should get it balanced maybe to the point in between the pickups. Then it shouldn't be neck-heavy.

Alternatively, you could get an acoustic style strap and tie it at the headstock. Another alternative would be lighter tuning pegs; it could help either a very little or a whole lot.

//S

• Members

Originally posted by metalstorm

I have a BC rich Beast, Absolutely love the guitar but the neck and head seems way too heavy, it keeps pulling down no matter how i adjust the strap so i have to hold it up with my left hand while playing, gets really hard to play anything fast like this especially on the first couple of frets.

I think it might be because of where the strap connects to the guitar (its on the end of the spike sticking out at the back), was thinking of maybe drilling a new hole closer to my body on the back of the guitar to see if it helps but wanted to check here first.

My wording may have been confusing if you do not know what the guitar looks like. There is a pic on this link

Move the strat knob to the back of the neck by the joint.

Archived