Odd UPS situation - what would you do?

The Dark Horse

• Members

Hello,

Back in January, I received an acrylic guitar and it had sustained a stress crack on the body where the body and bolt on neck come together.

The UPS inspectors showed up at the end of January to inspect the packaging and the damage.

I told the UPS folks that my guitar tech had told me that the the location of the crack basically made the guitar so unstable that there was no way to really repair it. The guitar was a limited edition purchase and any damage repair severely devalues the instrument, so there was no way I was going to allow them to try to repair it.

Anyways, it late April now - four months since the inspectors came - and no one from UPS has shown up to pick up the guitar.

Is it possible UPS also concluded the guitar was not salvageable and are simply leaving it with me to throw away? I'm afraid to call in case this is something that slipped between the cracks.

Anyways, has anyone had this happen too?

If not, what would you think or do if you were in my position?

BTW, before giving me some moral soapbox story please consider that the store owner shorted me big time on my refund - three months late already - and refused to respond to my inquiries about the shortage.

Thanks.

• Members

To clarify, it's two different issues.

I know for a fact that UPS gave the store owner a full refund on his claim. I'm giving the owner one more week before I file a Credit Card dispute against his store.

The inspectors that came out where real UPS inspectors. They took pictures of the damamge, although it's pretty much impossible to photograph, and told me that someone from UPS would be arriving shortly to pick up the damaged guitar - I guess to return to the shop owner. Well, it's been four months now and not a peep from UPS.

• Members

Originally posted by The Dark Horse

I know for a fact that UPS gave the store owner a full refund on his claim. I'm giving the owner one more week before I file a Credit Card dispute against his store.

The inspectors that came out where real UPS inspectors. They took pictures of the damamge, although it's pretty much impossible to photograph, and told me that someone from UPS would be arriving shortly to pick up the damaged guitar - I guess to return to the shop owner. Well, it's been four months now and not a peep from UPS.

It's not your problem UPS has not picked up the guitar, it's the seller. Let him worry about that. Also, he owes you a full refund, as he agreed to, is that correct?

If that's the case, ask him repeatedly in several emails to issue the remainder of the refund, and if he still ignores you, then go ahead and call your credit card company.

He's stealing money from you. Like you said, he's been refunded the full amount already from UPS. He owes you the money.

Also, since techinically he's been paid for the guitar, and once you get all you money back for damages, technically I believe the guitar belongs to you, as you technically became the owner of the guitar once it left the seller's store.

• Members

Thanks fellas. Looks like I got myself a guitar for $100. Hopefully, I can take care of the crack so that it will never be unstable. The seller is in NY and I've hounded him already. He's been a total and complete ass about the whole thing so I'm simply done with him. I'd rather explain things to the credit card company and let him explain things.

• Members

In a situation like that the only time UPS will deal directly with the receipient of the goods is to come out and inspect the damage(as they did). Everything else will be done via the shipper....he's the one with any type of agreement with UPS. So you have to deal with him and only him.

Sounds like your guy is a jerk and is ripping you off big time....I hope you get some satisfaction.

• Members

Originally posted by The Dark Horse

I also agree given the amount of time involved and the attempts to contact the shop, filing the credit card claim is totally reasonable.

what guitar is it exactly...don't tell me you got a Dan Armstrong for 100 bucks :mad:

Archived