Heavy strings, Gibson scale, B tuning?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

I am getting a guitar repaired soon, I'm I'm probably going to tune it either B-c (Unearth, Bleeding Through tuning) or B-b (At The Gates tuning). All of these guys use or have used 6 strings for a while, but I've seen people get away with stuff I never could... Will it work alright?

• Members

Get yourself a baritone for crying out loud. You'll be amazed at the difference in tone, sustain and playability...my baritone is a 28" scale with .060 strings tuned B-E-A-D-F#-B and the string tension is perfect on that one.

At least go to your local store and try a baritone: ESP VB-400 or (better) the MHB-400, the Ibanez Mike Mushok, etc...or my fav the Agile AB-3500 BK (but it's sold out now).

• Members

Originally posted by Mr_GoodBomb

I am getting a guitar repaired soon, I'm I'm probably going to tune it either B-a (Unearth, Bleeding Through tuning) or B-b (
At The Gates
tuning). All of these guys use or have used 6 strings for a while, but I've seen people get away with stuff I never could... Will it work alright?

Originally posted by ghastlyone

They pretty much said it all.... adequate string gauge, proper setup, and may have to file the nut for the increased string gauge. Personally I like the Ernie Ball "Not So Slinky" sets which are .12-.56. FWIW
At The Gates
tuned to B.

:D

• Members

It's cool. You did make me notice an error in the other tuning I asked of, though. heh

Are you sure B-c is right? ;) (I'm not familiar with these bands) There is only a half step between B and C obviously so that tuning sounds kinda screwy to me.

• Members

I can't afford a new guitar, and hate the idea of baritones.

If I were gonna do a cheap baritone, I'd just get a cheap 7.

7-string != baritone. I think you missed his point.

Archived