Installing a Tunomatic? tips etc.

TheDarxide

• Members

I've got a model 5 charvel that once had a kahler in it, it's been stripped to the wood and needs a refin. I'm not planning on putting a lot of work and expense in, and so i'm not going to replace the kahler.

Decided to put a tunomatic and a stop tailpiece on, and i'm after any help tips etc with regard to placing the posts.

the neckon the charvel tips back like an SG, so measuring down the neck to the body means the tape measure isn't flush with the body, and i want to make sure my holes are accurately placed.

Alternatively, how good are these:

WWWW2.jpg

• Members

If you're going to go for a wraparound, get the one that has intonation adjustment for the A and D strings as well. Gotoh makes one, similar to the Wilkinson in the picture but with two of those parts locked by the screw.

The bridge height is also one thing to keep in mind. I don't know how high the Kahler was but chances are it was lower than a TOM or wraparound, so you might not be able to get low enough action because there might not be enough neck angle.

• Members

The kahler wasn't high at all, and for some reason the strings were tight against the fretboard, which makes me believe that somehow the neck has angled back over the years, although the neck isn't bent or warped. Hence the decision to stick a tunomatic on. I'm only going to be out by a few quid as they're not expensive bridges if it doesn't work.

• Members

If I were you I'd go with the wraparound since it's a bit easier to install..the post don't have to be angled as far as I know. You should find the measurements first and check if the bridge is too high. Can save you a lot of time and trouble if nothing else.

• Members

It's tough to say without knowing all the measurements, and I forget the dimensions on the Kahler. If the neck angle can't support the taller bridge, you may want to opt for a lower profile bridge like a strat hardtail.

As for single bridge/tailpiece units, I'd definitely advise that you go for one that has some ability to compensate. I used a cheap pigtail wraparound bridge that had individual saddle adjustment on the ES JR, and it worked just fine. It's a fairly tall unit, though, and because of it's design you'll have to make adjustments at least a couple times.

Archived