What's the value? (sad story about an explorer)

WGH

• Members

My friend just dropped off a Gibson Explorer and wants me to sell it for him. It used to belong to his brother (who died 7 years ago).

His brother took a saw and cut off the upper and lower bout so now it looks kind of like a big steinberger. It's still in the original case...so it shifts around in there pretty good. I'm not sure of the age and the bridge pot is loose and scratchy.

I have pics but am unsure how to post them.

Any ideas?

• Members

I'd say you'd be doing pretty good to get $200-250 for that. You might want to part it out and sell the corpse on ebay. I kind of want an E-2, but with the laminate construction those guitars use, that's pretty much unrepairable.

what pickups are in it? the dirtyfingers gibson used in that era go for $75 to $100 on ebay right now, and you should be able to get another 50 or so for the case.

• Members

i can epathize with why he did, or at least for top part. ape hanging like james, seems to be only way that top ain't in the way.

not sure why he lobbed of the bottom part, i kinda like the switch there.

does it still sound like an explorer??

i'll give $99.99

• Members

It sounds good and plays well. It's even comfortable.

Any ideas on how to market this thing on ebay?

How about a reasonable reserve?

How can I go about determining the age?

• Members

I would prb just toss it on ebay for a buck w/no reserve. Spam what ever forums you are permitted to spam. It is fairly butchered but if people think they have a chance of getting it on the super cheap, it will prb stimulate enough bidding to make it worthwhile....'course I wouldn't expect more than a few hundered for it.

• Members

Originally posted by WGH

It sounds good and plays well. It's even comfortable.

Any ideas on how to market this thing on ebay?

How about a reasonable reserve?

How can I go about determining the age?

You can email or call Gibson customer support to determine the age...1 800 4Gibson

• Members

Originally posted by geddins81

You can email or call Gibson customer support to determine the age...1 800 4Gibson

or just check the serial number and read the PDF on Gibson's site that details what they mean.

In 1977, Gibson introduced the serialization method that is in practice today. This updated system utilizes an impressed eight digit numbering scheme that covers both serializing and dating functions. The pattern is as follows:

YDDDYPPP

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.

http://www.gibson.com/search/serialnumber.html

Archived