Warmoth pre-painted Strat bodies - how many pieces? finish thickness?

Eric the fish

• Members

who knows the details on the Warmoth pre-painted Strat bodies? are they usually 2-piece or 3-piece, or do they get into 5-piece stuff? also, how thick are the finishes on there - nice and thin like they should be, or thick and glossy like my old MIM strat that i hated?

• Members

As far as the bodies go, it's whatever you order. If you want a single piece, they'll do that too.

The last time I checked on the finishing, Warmoth didn't do nitro-cellulose finishing, so the if you're looking for a vintage finish, the thickness might be a bit more than you'd like.

I recommend that you give them a call and discuss what you're looking for.

• Members

As said Warmoth will make anything you want.It can eventually run into a lot of money to bulid a guitar though. I thought about it and the cost would have been $1300. Since I'm no luthier I'd rather spend a little more for a custom shop Tele.

• Members

i know that they WILL do most things that i'd want, and i know it'll add up, but what i'm asking is about their PRE-PAINTED service / showcase / thrift shop stuff. do those bodies still maintain a 2-piece build, or do they use lower-grade 3-piece or 5-piece stock for those? and how thick do they apply their finishes? yes, i know they're not lacquer - i'm asking about thickness, not type.

• Members

Originally posted by Brendan

On their showcase bodies that are already painted, they have been known to slip in bodies that have more than 3 pieces. I've seen pics of this posted on another forum.

Many "Vintage Fenders" have up to 5; I don't think it is much of a concern if it was quality built.

• Members

I have 2 pre-painted Warmoth bodies from the showcase. One is a transparent finish, the other is opaque. The transparent one has a 3 piece back (it has a quilted maple veneer on the top). The opaque one is impossible to tell how many pieces it is, since the paint is opaque and all.

As for the finish thickness, it's not overly thick, but it isn't extremely thin either. My opaque one has a place under the pickguard where I chipped the paint off, and I'd guess that the finish is about as thick as a couple of sheets of paper. That's really scientific, I know, but that's the best I can do.

They are both great guitar guitars any way you slice it, though.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

As for the finish thickness, it's not overly thick, but it isn't extremely thin either. My opaque one has a place under the pickguard where I chipped the paint off, and I'd guess that the finish is about as thick as a couple of sheets of paper. That's really scientific, I know, but that's the best I can do.

that's still reasonably thin, though. i mean, it's not CD-thick, right? i think my mexi strat from '98 or '99 was that thick - and that's just BAD. the Mexi '50's strats i was looking at a few days ago seem to have a thin finish, which I'd consider good.

i guess i just don't want deep shine if it means thick clear coat.

• Members

Originally posted by BluePowder7

that's still reasonably thin, though. i mean, it's not CD-thick, right? i think my mexi strat from '98 or '99 was that thick - and that's just BAD. the Mexi '50's strats i was looking at a few days ago seem to have a thin finish, which I'd consider good.

i guess i just don't want deep shine if it means thick clear coat.

It's definately not CD thick, no. Maybe 1/2 CD thick max. It's thick enough to give them a deep shine, but thin enough that on the quilted top, at the right angles you can see the wood ripples through the finish. The opaque one is probably thicker than the transparent one too, considering that it's a metal-flake paint and a clear coat as opposed to a dye and a clear coat.

Archived