I've got a guitar buying dilemma. Help me choose between USED or NEW.

NoirAbattoir

• Members

Just a little background on this guitar.

- the pickups are typically changed out for better ones

- they cost around $750 new with a hard case

- they go for around $450 used with a hardcase

Option A:

Ok, so, I could buy Guitar A new with the color I really love for $750 new. I have a great set of PAFs just sitting around that I would throw into this guitar. It would look great and sound great and have everything great, but would cost more than Option B.

Option B:

I could get this guitar (but not in the color I want) used with upgraded pickups allready in there and a hardcase for $350 shipped. Economically, this is a no brainer, but I am at the point financially where I can be a bit indulgent. Sure, it's a great deal, but it won't be my #1 and it would still sound great and play sweet, just wouldn't look as beautiful as Guitar A would.

So, what should I do? Pay $750 for the color i want or take the good deal and not care about the looks?

I know this is superficial, but I believe I have reached the upper levels of gear-whoring and these kinds of things become important when you are in the late stages of gear-whoring, gear-whoring, gear-whoring, gear-whoring...

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

Do you have a gut feeling that guitar B's color could grow on you? Or do you actually hate the color?

It might actually grow on me. See, my #1 LP has a wine red finish and so does Guitar B. The white looked beautiful, though.

• Members

One hugh factor that keeps me from buying new most of the time is that every single new guitar i've bough has sounded far better after about 3-5 years. They break in, the resins in the wood dry out, the paint cures. Many of the new guitars i've bought sounded medioce. In fact, the second to the last one i bought new sounded crappy till about 3 years down the road at which time it really began to sound good. So buying new for me was rarely an option if i can help it. Unfortunatly with the advent of internet buying/selling the shops around here have all dried up as has the local private party market. So now i don't have a lot of choice. The last strat i was in the market for i spent 4 months looking for used and finally gave up and bought new. I won't buy online cuz i HAVE TO try before i buy, and i'm not into returning guitars and losing to and from shipping fees.

So my opinion is that for that reason alone i like used. Other reasons include the fact that if it's say 10 years old and the neck is straight, chances are it always will be. When new you never know, and necks that are gonna twist often do withing the first year or 2. Then theres of course cost. Those 3 reasons put used WAYYYYY above new for me. Especially at my age being a geezer. I don't have time to wait !

• Members

Originally posted by iknowjohnny

One hugh factor that keeps me from buying new most of the time is that every single new guitar i've bough has sounded far better after about 3-5 years. They break in, the resins in the wood dry out, the paint cures. Many of the new guitars i've bought sounded medioce. In fact, the second to the last one i bought new sounded crappy till about 3 years down the road at which time it really began to sound good. So buying new for me was rarely an option if i can help it. Unfortunatly with the advent of internet buying/selling the shops around here have all dried up as has the local private party market. So now i don't have a lot of choice. The last strat i was in the market for i spent 4 months looking for used and finally gave up and bought new. I won't buy online cuz i HAVE TO try before i buy, and i'm not into returning guitars and losing to and from shipping fees.

So my opinion is that for that reason alone i like used. Other reasons include the fact that if it's say 10 years old and the neck is straight, chances are it always will be. When new you never know, and necks that are gonna twist often do withing the first year or 2. Then theres of course cost. Those 3 reasons put used WAYYYYY above new for me. Especially at my age being a geezer. I don't have time to wait !

Whoa... That's a strong case as I am a tone freak and was greatly disturbed by the last new guitar purchase I made. I quickly sold it again because it just didn't have decent tone.

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

I'm always going cheap and wishing I had gotten what I actually wanted. Then I end up spending more down the road to make it right. If it aint going to break you, get the one you want from the start.

You've got a point. Maybe I should change my vote.

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

700 bucks isnt a lot of money.

adopt me :rolleyes:

I loves me some white guitars, though

I don't know if I could talk myself into spending extra for essentially the same thing, though - the used is just too good a deal, and I'm too used to being poor, I guess - plus I love guitars that have been around the block a bit, it's like getting them at the pound or something

But based on what you wrote, I think you should get the new one and don't look back

• Members

if youre spending 100's of dollars on stuff, one shouldnt settle.

because 700 compared to 300 dollars isnt a big difference in the grand scheme of things.

especially when one admits, they can financially handle it.

Right now, i can't afford a 700 dollar anything, but if was saving up for something, if i can save 300, i can save 700 just as easily.

• Members

You answered your own question. You want option A and you won't be as happy with option B.

Down the road you'll appreciate more having the guitar you wanted and got, more than having saved the cost of three nice dinners out on the town and settled for a lessor color choice.

Most of my guitar purchases have been emotional rather than rationale, so I can relate.:)

• Members

Originally posted by Steve Matthews

You answered your own question. You want option A and you won't be as happy with option B.

Down the road you'll appreciate more having the guitar you wanted and got, more than having saved the cost of three nice dinners out on the town and settled for a lessor color choice.

Most of my guitar purchases have been emotional rather than rationale, so I can relate.
:)

Another compelling argument...

• Members

Just out of curiosity what guitar are we talking about? A $750 price tag for the new one isn't that much. A mid priced axe. But $350 is a good deal for a mid priced level guitar. People buy mid ($500-800) priced guitars for less than $400 all the time here at HC and usually are happy.

Archived