Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've got a guitar buying dilemma. Help me choose between USED or NEW.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a guitar buying dilemma. Help me choose between USED or NEW.

Just a little background on this guitar.
    - the pickups are typically changed out for better ones
    - they cost around $750 new with a hard case
    - they go for around $450 used with a hardcase

Option A:

Ok, so, I could buy Guitar A new with the color I really love for $750 new. I have a great set of PAFs just sitting around that I would throw into this guitar. It would look great and sound great and have everything great, but would cost more than Option B.

Option B:

I could get this guitar (but not in the color I want) used with upgraded pickups allready in there and a hardcase for $350 shipped. Economically, this is a no brainer, but I am at the point financially where I can be a bit indulgent. Sure, it's a great deal, but it won't be my #1 and it would still sound great and play sweet, just wouldn't look as beautiful as Guitar A would.

So, what should I do? Pay $750 for the color i want or take the good deal and not care about the looks?

I know this is superficial, but I believe I have reached the upper levels of gear-whoring and these kinds of things become important when you are in the late stages of gear-whoring, gear-whoring, gear-whoring, gear-whoring...

Oh ****************... I have to vote in order to see what the results are. I don't know which to choose...

Comment

If A will become your #1, and B won't... you have to go with A if you can afford it.
      Carvin DC145C
      Gibson Vintage Mahogany Les Paul
      Carvin C980T
      Marshall JCM 800 2203x (Metro Modded to JMP 2203)
      Mojo Marshall Straight 4x12 w/ G12-65s
      Carvin X100B Series IV Combo

Comment

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid
        Oh ****************... I have to vote in order to see what the results are. I don't know which to choose...

no you don't.. just click the "View Results" link and skip the vote.
        slight spam:
        8 ohm Vintage 30
        8 ohm Legend V12
        8 ohm Private Jack

Soldano Amps Forum
        http://soldano.conforums.com

Jackson / Charvel Guitars Forum
        http://www.jcfonline.com/forums

Nick Kay Fenders love stomp boxes like fat kids love cake.

Comment

Buy the ugly guitar and a blindfold.
          No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

Comment

Do you have a gut feeling that guitar B's color could grow on you? Or do you actually hate the color?
            __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

Originally posted by atbear
              If A will become your #1, and B won't... you have to go with A if you can afford it.

Well, I am fortunate enough to own 5 or 6 guitars and so neither choice would be my #1 over my LP (at least I don't think so).

Comment

Originally posted by Godot
                Buy the ugly guitar and a blindfold.

Bag her and shag her, 'eh? I'm not too proud to say I haven't done that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkater
                  Do you have a gut feeling that guitar B's color could grow on you? Or do you actually hate the color?

It might actually grow on me. See, my #1 LP has a wine red finish and so does Guitar B. The white looked beautiful, though.

Comment

One hugh factor that keeps me from buying new most of the time is that every single new guitar i've bough has sounded far better after about 3-5 years. They break in, the resins in the wood dry out, the paint cures. Many of the new guitars i've bought sounded medioce. In fact, the second to the last one i bought new sounded crappy till about 3 years down the road at which time it really began to sound good. So buying new for me was rarely an option if i can help it. Unfortunatly with the advent of internet buying/selling the shops around here have all dried up as has the local private party market. So now i don't have a lot of choice. The last strat i was in the market for i spent 4 months looking for used and finally gave up and bought new. I won't buy online cuz i HAVE TO try before i buy, and i'm not into returning guitars and losing to and from shipping fees.

So my opinion is that for that reason alone i like used. Other reasons include the fact that if it's say 10 years old and the neck is straight, chances are it always will be. When new you never know, and necks that are gonna twist often do withing the first year or 2. Then theres of course cost. Those 3 reasons put used WAYYYYY above new for me. Especially at my age being a geezer. I don't have time to wait !

Comment

Originally posted by iknowjohnny
                      One hugh factor that keeps me from buying new most of the time is that every single new guitar i've bough has sounded far better after about 3-5 years. They break in, the resins in the wood dry out, the paint cures. Many of the new guitars i've bought sounded medioce. In fact, the second to the last one i bought new sounded crappy till about 3 years down the road at which time it really began to sound good. So buying new for me was rarely an option if i can help it. Unfortunatly with the advent of internet buying/selling the shops around here have all dried up as has the local private party market. So now i don't have a lot of choice. The last strat i was in the market for i spent 4 months looking for used and finally gave up and bought new. I won't buy online cuz i HAVE TO try before i buy, and i'm not into returning guitars and losing to and from shipping fees.

So my opinion is that for that reason alone i like used. Other reasons include the fact that if it's say 10 years old and the neck is straight, chances are it always will be. When new you never know, and necks that are gonna twist often do withing the first year or 2. Then theres of course cost. Those 3 reasons put used WAYYYYY above new for me. Especially at my age being a geezer. I don't have time to wait !

Whoa... That's a strong case as I am a tone freak and was greatly disturbed by the last new guitar purchase I made. I quickly sold it again because it just didn't have decent tone.

Comment

I'm always going cheap and wishing I had gotten what I actually wanted. Then I end up spending more down the road to make it right. If it aint going to break you, get the one you want from the start.
                        FREE DCinDC!!!

Originally posted by geek_usa

That's damn near sig worthy

but seriously, don't you think just maybe, possibly, quite interestingly enough, it could be YOU?

My gear:
                        2008 Fender American standard strat
                        Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
                        Fender Deluxe Players Strat - FOR SALE
                        SX SST62 - FOR SALE
                        Custom made Tele
                        Fender Super Champ XD - Amazing amp
                        Vox AC4TV - Love it
                        Breedlove AD25/SR Plus
                        Squier Classic vibe 50's Tele AND strat!! (strat is FOR SALE)

Comment

700 bucks isnt a lot of money.
                          Originally posted by
                          also, most pissed off, energetic drummer you're ever likely to see. his guitarist described it as "beating his way out of his mother's **** every time he plays"

Comment

Originally posted by chiro972
                            I'm always going cheap and wishing I had gotten what I actually wanted. Then I end up spending more down the road to make it right. If it aint going to break you, get the one you want from the start.

You've got a point. Maybe I should change my vote.
                            No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Europa760
                              700 bucks isnt a lot of money.

adopt me

I loves me some white guitars, though

I don't know if I could talk myself into spending extra for essentially the same thing, though - the used is just too good a deal, and I'm too used to being poor, I guess - plus I love guitars that have been around the block a bit, it's like getting them at the pound or something

But based on what you wrote, I think you should get the new one and don't look back
                              Hey, Cancer! **************** You!

Comment

Working...
                              X