60's vs modern pickguard for Strat

metropolis74

• Members

I picked up a new Fender 60's Vintage Player in Sonic Blue yesterday and already am already having thoughts of changing the pickguard to anodized gold. But I can't find a gold pickguard that would be an exact fit. The only gold pg's I can find are for the 8 hole 50's style or the modern 11 hole style. My question is what are the differences between the '60's type pickguard and the modern pickguards?

Both have 11 holes but I've noticed 2 differences so far:

1. The notch on the '60's for the truss rod at the heel.

2. There is one screw between the middle and neck pickup that would need to move and require drilling a new hole in the guitar.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Are there differences in pickup spacing? Would drilling into a new guitar to move that one screw be a bad idea even though the old hole would be coverd up by the new pickguard?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I put a gold adonized pickguard on my strat. I personally like the 8 hole one - it looks a little less cluttered. The pick up positions are the same, so that should be no problem. Also, drilling a hole that will be covered by the pickguard is very easy and no big deal.

Archived