anyone else bandless???

thamayor4242

• Members

anybody out there without a band for whatever reason? I'm in school and don't have time till I gradute. so my question is what do you do? I'm getting bored with it. anybody in this same situation?? if so, do you record songs ( i do)? do you practice them over and over? what?

• Members

I was in bands for most of the first half of my life. Then I got married (twice), had kids, etc., and didn't play for about 6 or 7 years.

Now I'm single again (permanently) and I'm getting back in playing shape and replacing gear that I sold off. As soon as I feel I have all the rust worked off I'm gonna get something together. I'm also putting together a budget home studio to keep me entertained.
Live playing gets in your blood and doesn't let go.

• Members

Originally posted by thamayor4242

anybody out there without a band for whatever reason? I'm in school and don't have time till I gradute. so my question is what do you do? I'm getting bored with it. anybody in this same situation?? if so, do you record songs ( i do)? do you practice them over and over? what?

I'm in your same exact position

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

I don't have people to play with either. Everyone seems either:

A. Play emo/pop punk

B. Plays good music...but is 40+ years old

Oh well....

I'm in the same boat. it sucks. ive posted around, but no bites

• Members

i have a band. things are looking up for us. our singer is out of jail and is angrier then ever. our original bassist is going to jam with us so we can finish our material for our demo/split with my friends band. going to bring back the slam style to new york's music scene. arent too many underground death metal bands in ny anymore, mostly hardcore bands around. we're going to try to change that, hopefully we do.

• Members

I am.

I play and practice by myself pretty much every night. I'm not exactly a fan of exercises, although if I did stick to a strict set I'm sure I could improve way beyond where I am now. I just like to play along with jam tracks and improvise over em; sometimes nice tasteful melodies, other times just mindless wanking, depends on my mood. :cool:

I do feel much better about improvising thanks to the jam tracks, so when I jam with friends I love to improvise solos. There are many players on the forum that could play circles around me, though (first people that come to mind are r0g3r and Soloway, even though they are different styles). :eek:

• Members
Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

I don't have people to play with either. Everyone seems either:

A. Play emo/pop punk

B. Plays good music...but is 40+ years old

Oh well....

What is wrong with playing with someone 40+ years old? When I was young I played with older guys all the time.

But to tell the truth, I'm not too interested in playing what most of my 40+ contemporaries are playing either. I have a neighbor with a great voice who plays great guitar and KB but he's into the James Gang and covers of old stuff that we were listening to 20 or 30 years ago. I want to play my own tunes and jazz.

I have a band but the only way I can motivate these guys is to get paying gigs - They actually think they're going to make money at this! This is why I have solo acoustic arrangements for all of my tunes. A band sure does put it over a lot better though! :)

Oh well, I guess it's some consolation that I do get people who want to play with me - They just always seem to assume that I've got all sorts of gigs lined up!

• Members

I was in a band my freshman year of college, but when that one broke up I decided I wasn't really going to try for another band until after I graduated because of time constraints. I'm graduating next month and hope to join or start something after I move and get settled. In the meantime, I've messed around with recording some, which can get very frustrating and not really as rewarding for me as playing in the band was (although it is still cool when a good recording comes together). Also, I've been taking vocal lessons and playing open mics recently. This is a nice way to get out and play at your convenience without a big time commitment, while keeping up your live chops/presence. It's also a good way to meet people to possibly form a band with.

• Members

I didn't even pick up a guitar till I was 24. But have always been a singer. I joined my first band at 25 and at 48 (turned just last month) and even though i live in Portland, Oregon (not a real music mecca except for Da Bluz) I have never been with out a band for longer than a few months. I can't even imagine not playing music live. When some younger folks on here trash the Stones, Aerosmith and others for still touring into their 50's and 60's, I just laugh to myself and say "just wait". Like peteN says, it gets in your blood. I never made a profit oner year from it, Hell the gig money gets eaten up on strings, and beer and misc parts alone. But I write off the loss every year and keep buying gear and making the best music I can. Someday it will end. But not for a long time. I'll start booking at retirement homes soo. Think about that. My parents grew up on 50's and early 60's rock. They are turning 70 soon. In ten years I'll be able to get bookings playin that stuff at retirement homes all over the place. Never stop, never quit, never give up.

• Members

You think you guys got it bad? Toronto, where I live, has absolutely ZERO people who want to play good old slutbanging (I nicked that off someone here, sorry, but I love it) heavy metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Sabbath, etc. I have found a lead guitarist who's into the same {censored} I am, and I'm thankful for that much. Can't find a {censored}ing drummer to save our lives.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, either likes nu-metal garbage or, even worse, that hardcore/emo/screamo/woe is me bull{censored}. Seriously, Toronto has become the lame emo "I cut myself for attention" capital of the world, and it {censored}ing blows. Noone listens to music for the music anymore, just to fit in with the scene kids and feel the need to be "alternative" and "different" regardless of the fact they are (or WERE) well-adjusted, middle-class kids.

{censored}.

/rant

Sorry.

• Members

Originally posted by LPbluesboy

i am bandless...

that will change i when I go to japan this fall...

and those who play anything punk ("woe is me lyrics")... I thank you. I thank you for leaving the good music to me!

MUAHAHA!

you don't have any idea what punk rock is, do you?

Archived