How do i lower the output of my pickup?

MisterSeedy

• Members

Originally posted by MisterSeedy

It has to much output and sounds muddy. Can i add a resistor to lower the output? Its a 16k pickup i want 14K or 12k.

If you just want to reduce the volume, then roll back the volume knob on the guitar or somewhere else along the chain.

If it's muddy because it lacks brightness, and it's a humbucker, try replacing the pot with a 500k pot.

If it's muddy because it's compressed from being too high in output, then try lowering it. That will change the EQ of it though, so you could also replace the volume pot with a 1,000k pot.

• Members

1. Volume knob

2. If it gets muddy you can

a. upgrade the volume pot to a higher value (e.g. 500k to 1meg)

b. put a treble bypass capacitor on the volume pot

c. change the primary tone capacitor to a lesser value

3. Adjust pickup height accordingly

4. Get an air coil/LCR network device like the Lawrence Q-Filter or super midrange control from Torres Engineering (or build one yourself from $5.00 worth of components.

• Members

Are you referring to your neck pup haveing more output then you want. When you select your pups selectors both position? If so then yeah, you can either add a resistor to that pups output. Or a 2nd volume control so you have two volumes and one tone. Not sure what would be best value of resistor for pup to have average 1/4 or 1/3 drop in output though.

Archived