prs

ArrMatey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

early prs guitars were known for exceptional handmade quality at a price that could compete with mass produced over priced guitars like your average run of the mill les paul. Paul designed his guitars to combine the best aspects of the most popular guitars and make one solid instrument with the best possible materials. Unfortunatly P.R.S. has become what they set out to overcome which is a overpriced mass produced machine made guitar that is only relying on its namesake to maintain sales.

prs makes many models now, and they do in my opinion have a unique sound all of their own. you really have to play one to understand. but i recomend looking at pre 1995 models as they went downhill dramaticly after that point.

• Members

Originally posted by assassinater

early prs guitars were known for exceptional handmade quality at a price that could compete with mass produced over priced guitars like your average run of the mill les paul. Paul designed his guitars to combine the best aspects of the most popular guitars and make one solid instrument with the best possible materials. Unfortunatly P.R.S. has become what they set out to overcome which is a overpriced mass produced machine made guitar that is only relying on its namesake to maintain sales.

prs makes many models now, and they do in my opinion have a unique sound all of their own. you really have to play one to understand. but i recomend looking at pre 1995 models as they went downhill dramaticly after that point.

:rolleyes: OH brother-- not THAT argument again. :rolleyes:

To the orginal poster-- current PRSi remain wonderful guitars. They're not cheap, but then, neither are Gibsons or Custom Shop Fenders. PRS guitars will meet and/or exceed those guitars in terms of general fit and finish.

Whether you dig what PRS tone is all about is purely subjective and up to the player.

PaulS

• Members

Originally posted by PaulSter

:rolleyes:
OH brother-- not THAT argument again.

To the orginal poster-- current PRSi remain wonderful guitars. They're not cheap, but then, neither are Gibsons or Custom Shop Fenders. PRS guitars will meet and/or exceed those guitars in terms of general fit and finish.

Whether you dig what PRS tone is all about is purely subjective and up to the player.

PaulS

does the prs sound apparent itself to any specific guitar sound of before? I know it's humbucker but is there a specificity to the prs that makes it go "that's a prs, that's a gibson" kind of sound...

• Members

Originally posted by PaulSter

OH brother-- not THAT argument again.

ummm they changed a few specs around the time of the factory change, pre 91 models have brazilian rosewood fingerboards and one piece necks (apart from the fingerboards obviously...)

now they glue on the wings whitch on there own web site a few years ago stated they were proud of the fact they didnt glue {censored} onto the side of the neck. they have gone down in Q, people wont admit it because they have too much invested

all from memory:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by flat5

ummm they changed a few specs around the time of the factory change, pre 91 models have brazilian rosewood fingerboards and one piece necks (apart from the fingerboards obviously...)

now they glue on the wings whitch on there own web site a few years ago stated they were proud of the fact they didnt glue {censored} onto the side of the neck. they have gone down in Q, people wont admit it because they have too much invested

all from memory:confused:

Please name me a better quality production guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by abishai

but alot of sucky bands uses PRS... do you suck?
:o

I think that PRS - like other big name guitar and amp manufacturers - gets bands to sign on to an agreement to play PRS exclusively in public. This doesn't mean they aren't great guitars - It just explains the huge exposure they have, same as Gibson and Fender.

I sold my PRS two years ago after a friend said to me: "Man, you're such a good player. How come you totally suck when you play that PRS?" He bought it from me. Now he sucks too.

• Members

Originally posted by Norcal_GIT_r

Dude, you just proved my point ten fold. its not that PRS are Production guitars its the fact that they are production guitars at Handmade prices. And prs are not what they used to be by a long shot. Any guitar that costs $3000.00 and comes with a bridge that you cant even intonate is blasphemy. Ten tops of today are the wood they use to take home to make a fire with. Mcarty's using {censored}y Kluson style tuners? A heel that i could fit my dinner on? and the cost for the options on thier guitars is just insane. But you asked what is a better quality production guitar?

Well if price is no object that is kind of hard to compete with

But if you wanted a realistic price for your production guitar i would say just about every brand name production guitar prs is left in the dust by guitars with solid wood, tone pros bridges, grover tuners, seymour duncan pickups, and overseas manufacturers are now using thicker tops rather than veneers

PRS= good guitar

Schecter= good guitar

PRS vs. what you get for the money = Bull{censored}

Schecter = hell of a lot for very little.

and no i dont play schecter, nor would i buy an import guitar.

i play warrior guitars. which eat prs and its lunch.

• Members

For me it all came down to comfort. I picked one up in the early 90's, before the current endorsee explosion, and was instantly blown away by the feel of the guitar. Of course not everybody is the same so your opinion may be different. But to this date, I have not played a more comfortable guitar than my CE22.

Jerry

• Members

Dude, you just proved my point ten fold. its not that PRS are Production guitars its the fact that they are production guitars at Handmade prices. And prs are not what they used to be by a long shot. Any guitar that costs $3000.00 and comes with a bridge that you cant even intonate is blasphemy. Ten tops of today are the wood they use to take home to make a fire with. Mcarty's using {censored}y Kluson style tuners? A heel that i could fit my dinner on? and the cost for the options on thier guitars is just insane. But you asked what is a better quality production guitar?

But if you wanted a realistic price for your production guitar i would say just about every brand name production guitar prs is left in the dust by guitars with solid wood, tone pros bridges, grover tuners, seymour duncan pickups, and overseas manufacturers are now using thicker tops rather than veneers

PRS= good guitar

Schecter= good guitar

You need to try a Standard 24 with no frills(No birds/Quilts etc etc)

I paid $1700 cash for mine and it's the most versatile and toneful guitar i've ever played or owned. I've played a bunch of Schecters that have Duncans and with everything stock it eats them for lunch. A Les Paul Standard costs more.

My Singlecut has never had an intonation problem. Even when i went from 9s to 10s.

Maybe i got 2 of the better ones?

• Members

I have a CE22.

I has a real soulful tone.

Lots of character, depth, clarity and complexity to the notes.

Some guitars just sound kind of hard and flat in tone without a lot of character. Kind of sterile.

I think Carlos Santana once said about his PRS, "it's like a rainbow".

Mine is about 9 or 10 years old and has dragon pickups in it. I liked their tone better than the HFS Treble & Bass pickups that were also the choice back then.

But to be honest, I prefer to play my cheaper guitars. I just feel more comfortable with them. But then again, I'm a hobbyist and not a working musician.

• Members

I disagree, and I own both pre 95 ( A 93 CE ) and post 95 ( a custom 22 and a McCarty) the McCarty is a 96 and is one the the best made and sounding PRS's I've ever played and I've played a {censored}load.

• Members

PRS= good guitar

Schecter= good guitar

You can feel as you want but I've never played a Schecter that even comes close to comparing to any of my PRS guitars. Sorry.

I realize there a lot of lesser experienced players here that really cant tell the difference in quality, woods, tone etc..And thats fine. Those guys wont be able to appreciate why a PRS cost so much.

And in their case thats fine, a Schecter will do nicely.

Unfortunately for me I absolutely can tell a difference.

PRS guitars are just as much handmade today as they were in the late 80s and early 90s. If you really did your research you would know this.

It's just that they have 4 times the the employees working than they did in the begining.

As far as Warriors goes, I've never played one. But looking at them they appear to be riding the coat tails of PRS.

Maybe Bruce Bennett, who is the original designer and forum member could chime in with his experiences.

I know he doesnt have a lot of good things to say about Warrior at this point in their career.

Either way I've been playing PRS Guitars for 20 years and have more experience here with them than most of the forum members here have been playing.

Basically nothing you will say to me will ever change my mind.

Only my experiences will change my mind. So far PRS has been outstanding for me as a player.

• Members

Originally posted by Norcal_GIT_r

Rickenbacker.

Remember though, you're asking about "quality". I'm not necessarily talking about sound or tone, as that's subjective. Construction wise, Rickenbacker, I think, is one of the only bigger name companies that hasn't skimped or sold out.

• Members

Originally posted by Kable

Rickenbacker.

Remember though, you're asking about "quality". I'm not necessarily talking about sound or tone, as that's subjective. Construction wise, Rickenbacker, I think, is one of the only bigger name companies that hasn't skimped or sold out.

Maybe, but I recently read on a Ric forum how lately theyre hosing people on warranty claims.

Essentially what I read sounds like nothing is honored under warranty no matter what.

But thats second hand info..I dont own one and never have so I really cant say. I've played a few and they seem nice enough.

• Members

Originally posted by black blade

Wow! I'm really impressed.

hey no reason to start acting like a bitch about things i wasnt trying to say i play the best guitars in the world but you get alot more for your money then with a POS, oh sorry PRS. and i bet you would disagree with everything ive said about PRS, its the only way you can justify yourself wasting your money. Not my problem, its yours.

• Members

Originally posted by black blade

I disagree, and I own both pre 95 ( A 93 CE ) and post 95 ( a custom 22 and a McCarty) the McCarty is a 96 and is one the the best made and sounding PRS's I've ever played and I've played a {censored}load.

hmmm, let me think here..... bolt on ce versus set neck custom 22 and a mcarty. why dont you just compare a {censored}ing strat with a les paul.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

You need to try a Standard 24 with no frills(No birds/Quilts etc etc)

I paid $1700 cash for mine and it's the most versatile and toneful guitar i've ever played or owned. I've played a bunch of Schecters that have Duncans and with everything stock it eats them for lunch. A Les Paul Standard costs more.

My Singlecut has never had an intonation problem. Even when i went from 9s to 10s.

Maybe i got 2 of the better ones?

i have tried a standard. you people really need to get my point that its not that they are bad guitars. i dont feel prs are worth the amount they ask, thats it period. do i think they are bad guitars? no. Do i see any reason to spend $1700.00 dollars on a guitar with absolutley no options just because it says paul reed smith? hell no.

and im glad you have had good luck with your singlecut. i know many who havent. but have you ever put that puppy on a peterson strobe tuner? maybe your ear isnt the best tool for intonation

• Members

Originally posted by saturdaysaviour

there's nothing wrong with the mccarty tuners. {censored}ty in what way?

compared to the locking PRS tuners i think the mcarty tuners are a little lacking in quality factor. ive never liked kluson style tuners but thats just personal preference.

• Members

I agree that modern PRSi are among the finest quality production guitars made today. They are one of only three brands I would buy from anyone sight unseen, and PRS is one of them.

This talk about a big heel, the type of rosewood used, the tuners.....This is about features, none of this has jack to do with build quality. And modern PRS guitars are as good as they have ever been. The whole 'pre-XX year' crap is all just meant to stir up the market. This isn't like Norlin Gibson or CBS Fender - PRS is PRS and always has been.

And no, I don't own one nor do I plan to own one.

Archived