Trade Epi Lp For Bobert Cray or JV Strat?

The Bear

• Members

Originally posted by The Bear

Now that I have a Gibson LP, I'm thinkin' about trading my Epi Lp Std Plus in for a Robert Cray or JV Strat. Preferances will be appreciated. I played em' both and like em' both. Thanks

The Bear

What's a JV Strat? Junior Varsity? Jim Varney? Jim VanderVeen? Just who is Jim VanderVeen?:confused:

• Members

The neck on my Jimmie Vaughan strat is the most comfortable (for me) neck i've ever played. I love the soft V shape.

Can't tell you much about the electronics because mine has EMG single coils in it.

Get the JV!!!

• Members

The Jimmie Vaughan for sure.. Unpack it, have a setup done, and it's 'gig ready'.... :cool:

It has very nice pickups, great neck with medium/jumbo frets, and Fender was even smart enough to install Schaller Strap Locks.

Only thing I did with mine was to install solid saddles (the GraphTech FerraGlide stainless steel units)... Some folks replace the single ply pickguard with a three ply unit, but I've never seen the need.

ferraglide1.jpg

• Members

Both are very fine guitars (assuming you are talking the MIM versions). The JV may be a tad more versatile with the hotter pickups and the trem.

I recently played a straight-from-Ensenada Robert Cray MIM that was hanging on the wall of a little music shop in Iowa, and I was just slackjawed at how well it played.

• Members

Originally posted by jgk62

The neck on my Jimmie Vaughan strat is the most comfortable (for me) neck i've ever played. I love the soft V shape.

Can't tell you much about the electronics because mine has EMG single coils in it.

Get the JV!!!

Yeah, the neck is the same as my Classic 50. I love that neck.

The Bear

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

The Jimmie Vaughan for sure.. Unpack it, have a setup done, and it's 'gig ready'....
:cool:

It has very nice pickups, great neck with medium/jumbo frets, and Fender was even smart enough to install Schaller Strap Locks.

Only thing I did with mine was to install solid saddles (the GraphTech FerraGlide stainless steel units)... Some folks replace the single ply pickguard with a three ply unit, but I've never seen the need.

ferraglide1.jpg

You haven't steered me wrong yet. I do like the option of having a trem as well. Didn't know about the strap locks.

Thanks

The Bear

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Both are very fine guitars (assuming you are talking the MIM versions). The JV may be a tad more versatile with the hotter pickups and the trem.

I recently played a straight-from-Ensenada Robert Cray MIM that was hanging on the wall of a little music shop in Iowa, and I was just slackjawed at how well it played.

Yeah, they are both MIM, and I agree with ya' about the Robert Cray. It is very smooth. I also like the Vintage pups.

The Bear

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

If you mean trade in as to a dealer dont' waste your money. They always (99.9%) of the time screw you royally on trade ins. You'd be better off to sell and buy outright.

Yeah, I tried it once at a GC and about slugged the guy. I'm takin' it to a buddy who owns a shop and see what he says'. I'm not counting on it, but it would save time. I also realize it's business, and won't take any offense. He's pretty straight.

Thanks

The Bear

• Members

Originally posted by crossroads69

JV is the Jimmy Vaughan strat.I think its pretty cool with tex-mex pups and classic 50s features.

Robert Cray is a hardtail strat...i wouldn't take that.I am an EC fan...would rather 'block' the tremolo!

Must be there is something to having the trem springs in the body.

Archived