need help with a rpoblem on my current guitar

idrisguitar

• Members

as i mentioned in an earlier thread my guitars are trashed but the only way i am getitng another one is to try and fix them up (on my own) and sell them,

i have a (terrible by the way) bc rich warlock (yes i bought it when i was young and stupid and into bad music)

first of all i am missing some screws that hold the pickups in the place (anyone know where i can find any of them?). but the main problem is when i tune it in (tighten them) and then move onto the next string to tighten the one above it becomes looser this is because the more i tighten each string the more the thing at the bottom of the guitar rises (not sure what it is called, where the string come out of)

so if i keep trying the thing is almost OUT of the guitar, i could try jamming something to stop it form rising but if i sell it like that i will get one unhappy buyrer, it their a proper way to fix it or is it useless (and therefore worth nothing)

i am finding it hard to fund a new guitar and selling bother my guitars (even for

• Members

whether you have a floyd rose or classic bridge, you most likely have to take the cover off the back of the guitar and tighten up the springs to keep the bridge level with the surface of the guitar... see pic

floyd8.jpg

Here's a link to setting up a Floyd. Pay close attention to steps 4 and 5.

Good luck!

• Members
Originally posted by TheDarxide

...nothing to do with the spring claw

Originally posted by idrisguitar

when i tune it in (tighten them) and then move onto the next string ... the thing at the bottom of the guitar rises... so if i keep trying the thing is almost OUT of the guitar...

sure sounds like the springs are missing/ too loose/ or too weak for his string gauge to me (not necessarily the claw).:cool: In fact, I can't think of anything else that could cause these symptoms. What are your thoughts, Darxide?

Maybe he's changed string gauges.

• Members
Originally posted by A_Gitarman

sure sounds like the springs are missing/ too loose/ or too weak for his string gauge to me (not necessarily the claw).
:cool:
In fact, I can't think of anything else that could cause these symptoms. What are your thoughts, Darxide?

Maybe he's changed string gauges.

The clue to me is the fact he says that the next string goes floppy - he tunes one to pitch, which raises ones side of the floating bridge, and then drop the other. Depending on which edition BC Rich it is, I was going to get him to either clamp the bridge and then tune, or walk him through tuning a floyd.
Altering the spring claw / adding springs etc will only affect the overall amount of float available, and won't solve any tuning problems.

• Members

cheer got em ordered.

i did know it was somehting to do with the springs, just didn'tknow they would be tightned so easily (i am imagineing hte inside of the guitar now i dont remmeber seieng screws to tighten the springs but i am sure it can be done.

• Members

okay darxide you may be onto something,

i really need to be at home to trry all these things,

by the way i think i have the vintage classic pickups if that helps,

yeah maybe tightening the string wont have the effect i think it will.

what should i do if tightening the springs dont work?,....how would i clamp it?

• Members

.....im really sorry i have been playing for a long time and as i said made bad diecisions and never researched meaning i dont really know much about the guitars i have (laugh if you want i know it is pathetic) i am 18 now and have finallybecome matrure enough to mae sure i know what i am buying.

i will go home and give you as many details as i can then, (in about 1 hour)

so you can help me fix it up and give me a price your willing to pay.

• Members
Originally posted by TheDarxide

The clue to me is the fact he says that the next string goes floppy - he tunes one to pitch, which raises ones side of the floating bridge, and then drop the other. Depending on which edition BC Rich it is, I was going to get him to either clamp the bridge and then tune, or walk him through tuning a floyd.

Altering the spring claw / adding springs etc will only affect the overall amount of float available, and won't solve any tuning problems.

I think we're seeing the same problem but approaching it differently. i.e. His bridge is lifting out of it's cavity when he tightens any given string, causing the others to drop in pitch. In my experience, people usually encounter these sorts of problems if they change string gauges and/or have springs that are too weak.

In this case, it looks like he needs more of a step-by-step solution like you have proposed.

Peace.
:cool:

• Members

i tightened up the spring as someone recommended and it now works perfectly, maybe if it is the springs being weak in a few days it will be back to the same but if that happens i am sure darxide will help me or anyone else on this great forum,

getting the screws and it should be as good as new (so i can get some money for it maybe and get a better guitar)

thanks a lto again

darxide check you pms.

• Members

As it's a vintage bridge, tightening the springs will stop it from lifting up at all, which will allow you to tune it better. This will however stop you using the trem for up bend. I had expected you to say it was a floyd, as i've seen very few BC Rich's with the vintage style bridge.

• Members

If you're sure you're going to sell the guitar, don't worry too much about adjusting the trem spring tension. The first thing the new owner's going to do is change strings and adjust it to his/her preference.

Adjusting that spring tension is just part of a basic setup for a floating bridge guitar. If you change string gauge (or even string brand in some cases) you do have to adjust that claw so the bridge will sit level and the guitar can be tuned to pitch. Down-tuning the guitar also requires the same adjustment.

Archived