Which ESP/Ltd model has a slim neck?

Angus_Poser

• Members

Originally posted by Angus_Poser

My les pauls neck is to thick for me to play comfortably. I'm looking at ESP Ltd models. My budget will be about $500.

The Eclipses necks are thin and play nicely. I have the EC-1000 and would recommend it.

• Members

Originally posted by Angus_Poser

Thanks guys, my new dream guitar is the Ltd. MH-400NT:D

Have you played one yet?

I was wanting an LTD real bad for a couple weeks, due to looking at the web site... when I finally tried one it felt and sounded dead- like a jackson with a floyd.

Today I just happened to try another one when I was shopping for a bass- I think it was an M-250 neck-through hardtail.

It felt dead and lifeless. Just like the $200 import Jacksons hanging next to it.

It was so bad that the bottom of the line $200 M-50 responded and sounded much much better.

I guess it must be because the neck wood of a bolt-on guitar has to be very dense so that you can screw the neck screws into it, but with a neck through the wood can be as cheap and light as you want.

The neck-through LTDs I've tried are very light so that makes sense.

I have NOT tried a 400 series or higher LTD- like the MH-400 etc... so it is possible they are good compared to the 300 series????

• Members

Well I have an H-300 that sounds dead unplugged, but with gain plugged in it sounds very defined and crisp with a thick but tight bottom. I have 2 Ibanez RG's that sound very loud and lively unplugged, but plugged in that lively resonant quality translates to a washy and undefined tone. Different flavors I'd say. The washier tone has a grunge vibe going on and the crisper tone sounds more metal.

• Members

Originally posted by JetCityMatt

I guess it must be because the neck wood of a bolt-on guitar has to be very dense so that you can screw the neck screws into it, but with a neck through the wood can be as cheap and light as you want.

thats not what I could call a good or even remotely educated guess. Also if you are a more serious player you shouldnt be looking at anything under the 400 series. And from personal experience, Ive actually come across a few 200 series models that save their pickups, were excellent.

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

thats not what I could call a good or even remotely educated guess. Also if you are a more serious player you shouldnt be looking at anything under the 400 series. And from personal experience, Ive actually come across a few 200 series models that save their pickups, were excellent.

Yeah I know that! :D That's why I said " I guess"! :)

I agree entirely that a serious player shouldn't be looking at anything less than a 400, but a year ago when I was looking I was low on cash and considering the 300 and 400 series both... at least until I tried one.

I base my "guess" on the fact that the H-250s weigh practically nothing (it is so light its amazing), which clearly reveals that the guitar is constructed from light wood. Light wood is obviously not very dense at all. That's science.

Add to this the fact that they sound completely dead to me everytime I try them, put the two together and you come to the result I did.

Then I picked up the cheapo M-50 and it sounded much better.

This is what got me thinking about the bolt-on vs. neck-thru issue with the ESP LTDs.

Obviously a quality neck-thru with a neck made from wood of some density (like a bolt-on maple neck is) will be at least as good as a bolt-on.

But not if the neck is made out of a piece of wood that weighs half a pound or something. Simple physics.

If someone comes a cross a decent 200 series- great!

But just make sure you never buy one mailorder without playing it to know in advance if it is a good one.

I'm not on some vendetta against ESP LTD- just stating my observations.... and musings.... :D

• Members

Originally posted by Filter500

Well I have an H-300 that sounds dead unplugged, but with gain plugged in it sounds very defined and crisp with a thick but tight bottom. I have 2 Ibanez RG's that sound very loud and lively unplugged, but plugged in that lively resonant quality translates to a washy and undefined tone. Different flavors I'd say. The washier tone has a grunge vibe going on and the crisper tone sounds more metal.

Very interesting.

Again, I'm not just trying to discredit LTD neck throughs or anything. A guitar that sounds good through an amp for a certain application is a guitar that is good for that application- regardless of how it sounds unplugged. Of course I agree with that.

Do they both have the same pickups? Or at least the same type? I mean, you don't have passives in the RGs and EMGs in the LTD?

• Members

I base my "guess" on the fact that the H-250s weigh practically nothing (it is so light its amazing), which clearly reveals that the guitar is constructed from light wood. Light wood is obviously not very dense at all. That's science.

Add to this the fact that they sound completely dead to me everytime I try them, put the two together and you come to the result I did.

Then I picked up the cheapo M-50 and it sounded much better.

This is what got me thinking about the bolt-on vs. neck-thru issue with the ESP LTDs.

Obviously a quality neck-thru with a neck made from wood of some density (like a bolt-on maple neck is) will be at least as good as a bolt-on.

But not if the neck is made out of a piece of wood that weighs half a pound or something. Simple physics.

If someone comes a cross a decent 200 series- great!

But just make sure you never buy one mailorder without playing it to know in advance if it is a good one.

I'm not on some vendetta against ESP LTD- just stating my observations.... and musings....
:D

wow, almost all of that is wrong (no offense) I dont know where to begin. I do see how you made these deductions, but its

1st Weight and density = good tone is guitar myth #1. This seems to come out of Les Paul fans the most ( I wonder why ) but consistantly the most heavy Pauls were the Norlin era models, which NOBODY regards as the best by any means.

Now granted tone is subjective, but Im not even going to go down the long list of guitars that are heavy that are regarded as sounding good.

2nd - in your own post you proved your guess wrong and didnt even know it. Heres how:

You claim the H250 would sound as good as the h50, despite being a neck through IF it featured maple as a neck material.

WELL ::drum roll:: IT DOES! 3 piece maple neck through.

Once again there are PLENTY of guitars that dont feature any maple at all and are regarded as sounding great. The gibson SG is a great example.

If anything you could use your findings to say that you find bolt on construction to be superior to neck through, but this another endless argument with no real answers at the end of it.

What you most likely experienced is the fact that you came across a 50 that was made with a nice resonant piece of wood, and the rest were not. Keep in mind, these guitars are made of Agathis, which is a cheap mahogany type wood from Indonesia, so its not exactly like wood selection is something that is really looked into for these models.

;)

p.s.

just because a guitar is a bolt on doesent mean its maple.

• Members

Very interesting.

Again, I'm not just trying to discredit LTD neck throughs or anything. A guitar that sounds good through an amp for a certain application is a guitar that is good for that application- regardless of how it sounds unplugged. Of course I agree with that.

Do they both have the same pickups? Or at least the same type? I mean, you don't have passives in the RGs and EMGs in the LTD?

Yeah, I have Dimarzios in all of the guitars. For the bridge I have an Evolution in the H-300, a Super Distortion in the RG321 and an Air Zone in the RG220b. I had an evo in the 321 for a week and it sounded gross.

Archived